School me on tire warranties!

OP
180splitg3
So, it sounds like I will not get anything on the tires. They are claiming that the wear is too uneven and that it had to have been caused by something out of alignment. They did tell me this about 15,000 miles ago and I did get the truck aligned after that but the shop said that it was not out of spec hardly at all when they started the alignment. I bought the truck new and it has not been in an accident or anything. The shop did not write down what the specs were before the alignment so I can't really prove whether it was off or not. I will chalk it up to a learning experience and buy a different brand this time - frustrating but it's not the end of the world...

Last edited:

cjdewese

WKR
Unfortunately that's pretty common. They have to wear even side to side which is why having your car aligned and tires rotated often makes a big difference. We used to get all of our tires from Sears because they were pretty easy to deal with when it came to warranties. Bummer to hear either way, things aren't what they used to be.

I've warrantied at least 10 sets of tires at America's for not meeting the mileage guarantee. Pretty standard as I rarely see any tire no matter the brand reach its rated mileage with a lot of mountain driving. Never once had to fight them for it. They just do it without even asking as long as the wear is even. Which ain't hard to achieve even driving the twisties daily.

Sounds like I need to avoid wherever some of you are buying tires.

brsnow

WKR
I shifted away from the AT3 due to fast wearing. Didn’t try to go through the warranty process, just switched brands.

JoeDirt

WKR
What I was told (back when I sold tires) The mileage rating on the tire was calculated on a perfect road under perfect test conditions. So most tires will fall short of their rating.

syoungs

FNG
You should look into falken wildpeak at3/w's for your new tires. Best ive EVER ran. I tried cooper st maxx's on my current diesel when i purchased it, onlh because falken didnt have a 35 in the load range i wanted. Im 17k miles into the set, and have regreted them for 15k of that. New falkens are getting put on in january, now that they released my size.

I agree with this. The Falken WP AT3 are great. I have them on my F-250. Great tread, surprisingly quite, and are running strong at 50,000 miles with plenty of tread remaining.

Wmac333

FNG
Hey guys. I currently have a a set of Cooper AT3 4s tires on my F-150. They have a 65k mileage rating but I'm down to the wear bars at about 42k. I have never had a tire that has fallen this short of the rating. They were purchased at fleet farm and I'm going to have them look at them to see what they will do. What should I expect to hear? I have heard of people getting $ based on a proration of what percentage of the tire rating/warranty is left. Will fleet farm try to avoid paying anything? I honestly don't know how this typically works as I have always gotten close to the mileage rating from the tires on my past vehicles. Thanks for the input!
Manufacturers will decide how the warranty goes. In my experience it took far to long to get any kind of response. And shop that installs typically just makes contact

OP
180splitg3
You should look into falken wildpeak at3/w's for your new tires. Best ive EVER ran. I tried cooper st maxx's on my current diesel when i purchased it, onlh because falken didnt have a 35 in the load range i wanted. Im 17k miles into the set, and have regreted them for 15k of that. New falkens are getting put on in january, now that they released my size.
Thanks - I'll check them out. I'm also looking at the general grabber ATX and the toyo open country At3...

brsnow

WKR
Totally agree the wild peak are great.

OP
180splitg3
Well - I went with the falken wildpeak AT3w. They look great and have some serious tread - 18/32 as measured when I left the shop! Purchased from a different shop than my last set and they are going to try to work with copper to get me something though it sounds unlikely. If you are looking for tires I would recommend staying away from the Cooper AT3 4s. Thanks for the advice everyone 👍🏻

Attachments

• 20201226_104854.jpg
    20201226_104854.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20201226_104850.jpg
    20201226_104850.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 53

1moredeer

FNG
While it doesn’t hurt to ask the tire manufacturer, don’t expect an adjustment unless you are prepared to put on a new set of the same brand . I just retired (pardon the pun) after 40 years of working in the USA’s largest tire plant. Some of the arguments against adjustments run from , overloaded, under inflation, off road driving, and failure to properly rotate. Manufacturers have no way of knowing how or where you drive. Some manufacturers even state in the fine print, that warranties, even road hazard) are void if tires are installed on a 4wd vehicle. Read the fine print before spending money on warranties. Copper Tires was acquired by Goodyear in February of this year.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Are you sure they rotated them every time?I’d take my co. work truck in and catch local Midas through their window trying to get it out with just the oil change on a every 5K mileage lease plan maint. deal on a F-250 diesel. Theyd try to tell me they were wearing even -not needed. I’d say rotate them.They lost 1K a year.

Id get 80-90000 all highway on those AT3, & ATP different rating than yours probably.ATP lasted too but had extra wear every other lug on the outer edge.

def90

WKR
Mileage ratings are an average.. Is your F150 driven to work and back on a freeway at a steady speed and you never haul anything in the truck or do you live in the city and do a ton of stop and gos while driving with an over weight camper shell on the bed?