School me Snowshoeing

ShakeDown

WKR
Curious if there are any experts out there on snowshoes? I took the girls out this weekend and post-holed through about 14” pulling their cheap little sled... we actually had a ton of fun and I’d like to pick up a couple pairs of shoes and make this a thing.

Any suggestions where to start? I can see myself pulling the girls around, getting in some cardio, doing some winter camping and fishing, etc.

I’m 5’11” 195# size 10.5 if that matters.

Cheers!

65B85DBA-4690-47E4-9CF5-4CCC5E570161.jpeg

Idahoguy

FNG
The fall time at Costco has good shoes for cheap. At least you could get it to it and see before buying expensive stuff.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ha! What makes you say that?

I just hate it, I never have fun when I go. Around here it’s like a hipster thing too, I work with a ga who brags about how much snowshoeing she does, she snowshoes to work....on hard packed trails that you don’t need snowshoes to walk on. She even leans them on the wall by her office so everybody knows she snowshoed in to work.

OP
ShakeDown

ShakeDown

WKR
I just hate it, I never have fun when I go. Around here it’s like a hipster thing too, I work with a ga who brags about how much snowshoeing she does, she snowshoes to work....on hard packed trails that you don’t need snowshoes to walk on. She even leans them on the wall by her office so everybody knows she snowshoed in to work.

Sounds like she may be from Boulder...

SonnyDay

WKR
Haha!

Agreed that snowshoes are over-used. We see folks walking on hard-packed trails in Colorado all the time.

That said, they're a useful tool for the conditions you encountered with your girls....

But a far better tool are skis with climbing skins. Slip some 3/4" plastic conduit over the ropes to the sled and attach the ends to a backpack or some kind of belt/fanny pack.

Have fun!

OP
ShakeDown

ShakeDown

WKR
Haha!

Agreed that snowshoes are over-used. We see folks walking on hard-packed trails in Colorado all the time.

That said, they're a useful tool for the conditions you encountered with your girls....

But a far better tool are skis with climbing skins. Slip some 3/4" plastic conduit over the ropes to the sled and attach the ends to a backpack or some kind of belt/fanny pack.

Have fun!

Thanks!

I try to snowshoe as much as I can in the winter. Unlike the previous posts, I am not on trails, but traveling in the backcountry, usually following deer/elk tracks. I tried to use xcountry skis for this, but became overwhelmingly frustrated when having to get over fallen trees. My snowshoes work much better in this scenario.

I have only ever used MSR snowshoes, they have served me well over the past 20 or so years (same set). I have pulled my sled all over with them on as well, no issues there unless its really wet snow. My kids grew up using sets of the MSR kids versions and I have since past them onto others will kids.

To be honest, skiing just freaks me out.

As mentioned above, they are a useful tool in many areas. I use a set of Tubbs now but learned on an old pair of wood shoes. If you use a set with tails, it takes some getting used to. You have to keep your tail from getting stuck in the web of the other shoe. They do provide me with better balance than the standard bear paw style. And yes the hipsters love to let you know how much they ‘shoe.

go_deep

WKR
I've got Red Feather shoes in 32", they're pretty great. Kids and me just busted a trail up a creek this weekend for just over 2 miles, great way to get out! We don't do the groomed trails, that's not what I'm interested in.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Mine are atlas Montagnes. I think. They are good, no complaints with them, I’ve used them for hunting and winter camping a lot over the years. The only other ones I’ve used are the MSR plastic ones which just sort of suck.

DJB

FNG
I have a pair of 10x56 Alaskan and a pair of 36in Tubbs. For breaking trails and deep powder snow I go with the Alaskans and for denser snow or snow with a crust I go with the Tubbs. Like said above get shoes with good bindings. Also make sure you get shoes big enough so you have good floatation rather then the small ones that aren't much better and most the times worst then just using boots. Trekking poles or cross country ski poles are nice to help with balance and maneuvering.

def90

WKR
Lol, I’m from Boulder, I absolutely hate snowshoeing.. last time I did it was on a hut trip about 12 years ago. That said get the MSR Evos with the removable tailpieces.

Last edited: