school...this fall

WCB

WKR
Federal overreach like seizing control of COVID data?

Not intervening, but providing guidance for schools you know leadership. Watch in the coming months if things get back the Fed will be blaming "the states screwed it up not them."

You mean taking over a total $h!t show of CDC reporting? Also, isn't the CDC part of the executive branch of the gov...and who would that include...the President of the United States perhaps? If it were truly an overreach the panic pushing left would have been advocating for impeachment again.

Schism

WKR
Yes and science can change, this article is from April...lots has changed since then. Read what I posted above.

How about this commentary published in July of 2020 that utilizes 17 different peered reviewed sources?

American Academy of Pediatrics

Commentary

COVID-19 Transmission and Children: The Child Is Not to Blame
Benjamin Lee and William V. Raszka
Pediatrics July 2020, e2020004879; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2020-004879

"Almost 6 months into the pandemic, accumulating evidence and collective experience argue that children, particularly school-aged children, are far less important drivers of SARS-CoV-2 transmission than adults. Therefore, serious consideration should be paid toward strategies that allow schools to remain open, even during periods of COVID-19 spread. In doing so, we could minimize the potentially profound adverse social, developmental, and health costs that our children will continue to suffer until an effective treatment or vaccine can be developed and distributed or, failing that, until we reach herd immunity."

NDGuy

WKR
How about this commentary published in July of 2020 that utilizes 17 different peered reviewed sources?

Their entire sample size was pulled during a period that schools were closed in Switzerland. Just using common sense wouldn't you assume young kids would be at home or being babysat if they are not at school? They would likely have much less exposure vs their parents who need to work or run errands. But thank you for the article, there were some others on the AAP site that provided some more insight. It's good there are more of these papers coming out. I think it is starting to show that really young kids don't spread as much. But high schoolers are essentially adults and the CDC papers I posted in this thread state they have near the same transmission rates.

I'd be curious to see if schools try to have middle school and below be in person but high schools remote learn for awhile. Most high school age kids can and should be able to learn from home without being babysat by their parents.

neverquit

WKR
That shit came south with folks getting the hell out as soon as they could.
Dude I’m in Arizona, a California license plate in may/June/July is in heard of in onx.. I’ve never seen so many as I have in the last few months

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Dude I’m in Arizona, a California license plate in may/June/July is in heard of in onx.. I’ve never seen so many as I have in the last few months
Same here in Oregon. We even have east coast states here. I was in Bend a few weeks back. We rented a guest house and the main house had people from Ohio and Illinois. They had been there a month they said. We then ran into some people from South Carolina and saw plenty of NJ and NY plates. Granted Bend has a huge tourist base for nature and beer, but it was insane. Some streets had more CA and WA plates than Oregon. The new thing the past few weeks is TX and UT plates. I just saw a half dozen each driving down i5 a ways.

I don't think schools will have kids in them this fall here in OR. They might have even announced it already? Our governor copies whatever WA or CA does usually. She is threatening to shut everything down again and Oregon is doing pretty damn good with COVID even. She is a lost cause..

Our district is giving an option, send your kids or sign up for distance learning in 9 week increments. We were on the fence for a while, but have decided to try distance learning the first 9 weeks and see how it goes. We are fortunate to be in a position where we can do that; a lot of parents aren't. Our kids really want to go back but we just can't bring ourselves to send them with it escalating like it is in our area. I understand the reasoning behind opening them, but I'm just not sending mine back until I'm convinced it's safe.

A couple districts here that were opening have changed plans in the last couple days.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
We’er home schooling. It’s going to be challenging with both of us working full-time jobs but we’ll get through. I’m done with this BS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your kids will be better off, the liberal indoctrination is pretty strong in the chugiak schools.

nick15

FNG
HS teacher here. Personally I don't know any teachers who are saying they won't go back to work if asked to do so, although there undoubtedly are some out there. Of course we see the exceptional cases in the news. If I were 60 or had a spouse with health issues I'd be pretty concerned about going into an environment where I have to make close contact with hundreds of people. I'd love to say let's just go back but it's not going to be that easy. Our district of roughly 10k kids is planning to go back to in-person learning and families can opt to do distance learning if they wish. Roughly 10% said they would do so in a survey. I'm not particularly concerned about the virus (although I take my precautions) but a couple large obstacles I see to going back to school:
- From what I understand, state guidelines say you need to isolate for at least a week (maybe two?) if you were in close contact with an individual who tests positive. So, if a kid wakes up one morning not feeling well and goes in and tests positive, are you going to send the 100+ kids and staff home from school that he was in close contact with the day before? The school would be empty after a couple weeks.
- If teachers test positive or have to quarantine (which is inevitable), I foresee very few subs being available. I'd estimate at least 75% of the subs in my building are over 55 and I can't imagine many of them wanting to be in schools this year.
- I saw a lot of "schools just need to take precautions" in this thread. When you are asking them to pack 30 kids into a room that is maybe 400 sq ft, I'm not sure which precautions will have much impact. Most schools just don't have much extra room. You cram 1500 kids into a school and they are going to interact closely no matter what you do.

I saw a lot of comments that distance learning was a 'joke.' No doubt it is ineffective and very difficult for parents and students at the elementary level. I think it could work just fine at the HS level. Our district was fairly well-equipped with online platforms when this hit in March but it still was a lot of work to set everything up to go 100% distance. The teachers I know worked pretty hard to record lectures, make assignments, quizzes and tests available online, have virtual help sessions, etc. About 80% of my students did fine with it but we had some who did little to nothing. Our school asked teachers to contact families at the beginning and lacking internet was very rare; less than 5% of students. I would estimate at least 80% of my students have smartphones. Not saying it is that way everywhere as I know it is not. I'd email and call parents of kids over and over who had disappeared and get no response. Lots of cases of kids sleeping until noon. The district basically let the kids off with no hit to their grade, even if they did nothing. I get that the circumstances were very unforeseen but this fall would not be. Even if we go back to in-person, most of the assignments and quizzes/tests are going to be online since the teachers are going to have to be ready to go distance at the drop of a hat. Certainly total distance learning is not as good as in-person, not to mention the social side and the effects of playing video games 15 hours a day, but I don't think it would have to be a 'joke.'

Personally I think a hybrid approach at first would be best where we bring a third of the kids in every day and send them home with work to do. See how that goes for a month and ramp up if no major issues. I see piling kids in as normal right away being a mess.

Definitely glad I am not an administrator as the challenges and obstacles are inumerable!

I have a feeling that many who are saying 'the kids need to go back no matter what' are going to be the same ones who go crazy when there is an outbreak at the school.

NDGuy

WKR
Personally I think a hybrid approach at first would be best where we bring a third of the kids in every day and send them home with work to do. See how that goes for a month and ramp up if no major issues. I see piling kids in as normal right away being a mess.

Definitely glad I am not an administrator as the challenges and obstacles are inumerable!
This is why I am confused at the "nope everyone is back in school all at once" it's no different then going back to a workplace. Why not do a hybrid where you learn from distance and learn from home alternating weeks? I just don't see how it makes sense to just thrust 100s or 1000s of kids back into a school all at once.

Trial153

WKR
This is why I am confused at the "nope everyone is back in school all at once" it's no different then going back to a workplace. Why not do a hybrid where you learn from distance and learn from home alternating weeks? I just don't see how it makes sense to just thrust 100s or 1000s of kids back into a school all at once.
The talk is splitting all classes, side a is monday and Tues, side b is thursday and Friday. Wednesday they do a full decon..
The smaller class size will allow for more distanceing......dont know. Either way we planning for tutor for them, the cost is fairly reasonable and it will be a time, and money saver in the long run

Rob5589

WKR
Our district is 100% online this year. Here is the list of supplies they're asking for. The "wish list" is for the classroom...

15378.png

I guess the backpack is so he can carry his stuff from the kitchen to the living room.

WCB

WKR

You know what kind of a cluster F that would be. Kids didn't keep up with distance learning as it was. Now you want teacher to have to basically teach two different lessons and not only have to work a full school week but then have to tutor kids and keep track of distance learning? At least here my wifes district/school distance learning involved teachers recording lectures and tutoring kids during the day. It is not just a packet to send home. And if it was a packet to send home now when the kids show up the next week half won't have it finished or don't understand it.

NDGuy

WKR
You know what kind of a cluster F that would be. Kids didn't keep up with distance learning as it was. Now you want teacher to have to basically teach two different lessons and not only have to work a full school week but then have to tutor kids and keep track of distance learning? At least here my wifes district/school distance learning involved teachers recording lectures and tutoring kids during the day. It is not just a packet to send home. And if it was a packet to send home now when the kids show up the next week half won't have it finished or don't understand it.
Yeah man it's not going to be easy either way you slice it that's for sure. I empathize with teachers, we are asking a lot of them this year.

Trial153

WKR
We received word that both of our children will be going back full time, providing everything stays status quo. We were figuring on having a tutor for tune of 450 a week, so this is welcome news.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
We found out on Friday that our district is offering two options: either E-learning full time or a half day in school (9am-12pm) with E-learning assignments in the afternoon. They must be smoking crack.

I believe the teacher’s union has a hand in this because it doesn’t make any sense to me why 3 hours per day of elementary school is COVID safe, but 6 hours wouldn’t be.

ahlgringo

WKR
Our district North of Austin, Tx is doing an initial 3 weeks virtual and now they have the option for four more weeks at home. The goal post gets moved further and further each week. My wife and I both work outside of the house. My oldest is supposed to supposed to start 1st grade and the spring e learning was no good for him despite us really putting a lot of effort into the programs. Doing a zoom with 20 kids was a nightmare.
We enrolled him in a private Christian school yesterday and they are starting as planned and have a well thought out plan including several built in weeks in case a kid needs to stay at home. There are obviously other major advantages to sending him to private also. 8k was completely unplanned but it removed the unknown and guaranteed he would get the education he needs.
At work I see the kids with zero resources everyday and an easy 50% will have zero progress this fall without being in a classroom. The equality gap will get much much wider.

Doing the same thing here in Denver

Same here in Oregon. We even have east coast states here. I was in Bend a few weeks back. We rented a guest house and the main house had people from Ohio and Illinois. They had been there a month they said. We then ran into some people from South Carolina and saw plenty of NJ and NY plates. Granted Bend has a huge tourist base for nature and beer, but it was insane. Some streets had more CA and WA plates than Oregon. The new thing the past few weeks is TX and UT plates. I just saw a half dozen each driving down i5 a ways.

I don't think schools will have kids in them this fall here in OR. They might have even announced it already? Our governor copies whatever WA or CA does usually. She is threatening to shut everything down again and Oregon is doing pretty damn good with COVID even. She is a lost cause..

Yeah i can attest to that. I work in the forest in the summer and this year in central Oregon I'm seeing more out of state plates than normal