Scope advice on 300 Win Mag

Getting a Seekins Element in 300 Win Mag for back country elk hunting. Looking for a higher end scope to mount on it. I like the Swaros and Zeiss but wanted to get some feedback. Budget is up to $4,000. Hit me with your feedback and reason why.

FNG
I have a swaro Z5 3.5-18. It checks all the boxes for me. I like the colour coded rings so you can set and keep track of your elevation. Makes it simple when it’s go time.

OP
N
I have a swaro Z5 3.5-18. It checks all the boxes for me. I like the colour coded rings so you can set and keep track of your elevation. Makes it simple when it’s go time

What range are you comfortable shooting to (have practiced out to)? Prefer MILs or MOA? FFP or SFP? Is weight a concern?
I don't like shooting over 300 yards while hunting, I do not go over 400 yards as I personally feel it's not fair to the animal. That said, if I take it to the range it's always good to keep your skills sharp at any range. Weight is always a concern for hunting but I am not fanatical about it so an ounce or two won't kill me but when your talking 10 ounces it raises eyebrows. SFP has been my go to but not set on one or the other. MOA is what I am used to as well.

ChrisAU

WKR
I don't like shooting over 300 yards while hunting, I do not go over 400 yards as I personally feel it's not fair to the animal. That said, if I take it to the range it's always good to keep your skills sharp at any range. Weight is always a concern for hunting but I am not fanatical about it so an ounce or two won't kill me but when your talking 10 ounces it raises eyebrows. SFP has been my go to but not set on one or the other. MOA is what I am used to as well.

Have any preferences on magnification range? Some guys like 3-9x for everything, some need 25x+. I like the middle ground, but just curious so I can help form a suggestion.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you want something amazing look at the Tangent Theta 3-15x50mm Model TT315LRH Long Range Hunter - MOA
  • Rapid Access Elevation and Windage
  • Auto Isolation feature
  • Locking rapid adjust diopter
  • Rev indication on Elevation
  • Low profile parallax (side adjust and Illumination control)
  • No field of view occlusion in shooting position
  • Single piece tube
  • Includes Tenebraex flip covers
  • Includes battery cap tool

madcalfe

WKR
lol tangent theta would be the best scope you can possibly buy for glass.
could also look at a...
kahles (on the heavier side)
nightforce ATACR (again a little heavier)
zero compromise ZC 420
Schmidt and bender
Leupold Mark 5HD

lots of options if your budget is 4000$

This is exactly why you should not ask this question on the internet. OP states he is not looking to shoot over 3-400 yards with a 300 win mag and everyone is recommending a 20+ power long range riflescope over 30 oz? Really???

With a 200 yard zero there is very little holdover out to 400. If you like Swaros and your quarry is elk I would go with the z3 3-9 or 4-12 in either duplex or BRH reticles.

madcalfe

WKR
This is exactly why you should not ask this question on the internet. OP states he is not looking to shoot over 3-400 yards with a 300 win mag and everyone is recommending a 20+ power long range riflescope over 30 oz? Really???

With a 200 yard zero there is very little holdover out to 400. If you like Swaros and your quarry is elk I would go with the z3 3-9 or 4-12 in either duplex or BRH reticles.
all the scopes brands i mentioned i was meaning the 3-18x or 4-16
anyone that says they need over 20x for a hunting rifle needs their eyes checked.
the one nice thing about having a 4000$ budget for a scope and actually being able to buy a alpha glass scope
you can get a good resale value on it afterwards, and who knows maybe he will decide he wants to start stretching his shots out to 500, 600, 700 down the road its is a 300wm after all
i have a 5lbs 4oz 300wsm i use for sheep hunting with a 32oz scope on it.

Given your budget I don't see a good reason to not get a Tangent Theta. It would curbstomp basically anything else that has been recommended.

LightFoot

WKR
It seems like a lot of recommendations are these guys' wishlists.

Since you said you are sticking to 300-400 yards. Heavy tactical scopes are not likely the right answer.

Get great glass in a European scope.
Swarovski Z8i (BT is an option)
Zeiss V8
S&B Zenith or Polar

With your budget, you can get into trouble buying "more" than you need.

Z8i 1.7-13x42 or 2.3-18x56 would be my choice in your place.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

It seems like a lot of recommendations are these guys' wishlists.

Since you said you are sticking to 300-400 yards. Heavy tactical scopes are not likely the right answer.

Get great glass in a European scope.
Swarovski Z8i (BT is an option)
Zeiss V8
S&B Zenith or Polar

With your budget, you can get into trouble buying "more" than you need.

Z8i 1.7-13x42 or 2.3-18x56 would be my choice in your place.
Worth noting the two you recommended are 2oz and 5oz lighter (without scope caps) than the TT (with caps) that's been recommended the most in this thread. I'm not saying he NEEDS to use his entire budget but it's not often we get to recommend a TT so this is quite an occasion. It's not a heavy scope, though I suppose it would serve as a "tactical" scope.

OP
N
Have any preferences on magnification range? Some guys like 3-9x for everything, some need 25x+. I like the middle ground, but just curious so I can help form a suggestion.
I like the middle as well. I don’t need up to 25...maybe 15 on the high side.