Scope Advise - Is this a good deal?

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
Hey there group,

I posted this in the general forum, then realized it is better suited here. I'm looking for a scope to put on an AR15 that will be used for coyote hunting. I'm not building anything too serious, just something to have fun with in the off season.

The best deal I have found so far is this Vortex Viper Gen 1 2.5-10x44 for $350 (new).

Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any better suggestions. I have a Vortex Razor LHT on my deer rifle, and its a great scope, but I don't want to get too deep into this coyote rig. $350 seems just about right for what I want to spend and I think the value is there since it was originally a $700-800 scope.

Any input is appreciated!

OP
krist003

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
400-500 yards max. Most of my shots are in the 50-200 yard range. I don't plan on doing any night hunting, but early mornings and dusk are obviously good times to hunt coyotes.

I've never used an illuminated reticle, but can see where it would be useful at times. Leaning toward this option.

sndmn11

WKR

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
400-500 yards max. Most of my shots are in the 50-200 yard range. I don't plan on doing any night hunting, but early mornings and dusk are obviously good times to hunt coyotes.

I've never used an illuminated reticle, but can see where it would be useful at times. Leaning toward this option.
An alternative that I would suggest is to look at the Leupold Freedom RDS Black 1x34 BDC w/mount. It's purpose built for a .223/5.56 55gr bullet. Once you dial it in at 100 yards, the the Ballistic Dial System allows you to dial in your range to the target, and just keep the red dot on it. No holdover required. They're just over $300 in a couple of places.

OP
krist003

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
That SWFA SS 1-4x24 looks like a well rated scope. I see a lot of people using 1-4x or 1-6x on their AR's, but that seems more like a short range tactical application, no? The ol' standard hunting scope has always been a 3x9 and that is the smallest I have ever used. Not sure how I would like a 1-4x, but I suppose it would be okay for coyote hunting. The weight saving is appealing

OP
krist003

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
An alternative that I would suggest is to look at the Leupold Freedom RDS Black 1x34 BDC w/mount. It's purpose built for a .223/5.56 55gr bullet. Once you dial it in at 100 yards, the the Ballistic Dial System allows you to dial in your range to the target, and just keep the red dot on it. No holdover required. They're just over $300 in a couple of places.
This is interesting to me as well. I have no experience with red dots other than a little range time here and there. I'm questioning how effective it is a coyote hunting. Does the dot allow for precision shot placement? With no zoom, I wonder how effective it is at long ranges.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Nikon made a special scope for a AR platform, cannot remember the name, but IMO they weren’t worth a hoot ! Heck IMO a .223 should not be considered a longEr then 150-200 meters gun anyway!
a 243 -270 kills and bucks the wind 200% better. 223 bleeds to much energy past 150 meters for a clean kill.

TxxAgg

WKR
Nikon made a special scope for a AR platform, cannot remember the name, but IMO they weren’t worth a hoot ! Heck IMO a .223 should not be considered a longEr then 150-200 meters gun anyway!
a 243 -270 kills and bucks the wind 200% better. 223 bleeds to much energy past 150 meters for a clean kill.

S-3 ranch

WKR
What that all about? Looks like folks trying to justify using to small a calibEr on big to middle weight game thread

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
This is interesting to me as well. I have no experience with red dots other than a little range time here and there. I'm questioning how effective it is a coyote hunting. Does the dot allow for precision shot placement? With no zoom, I wonder how effective it is at long ranges.
You’re not looking to eat it, just kill it. That bullet velocity at 200 yards will do the job. I’m putting one of those on my AR just for that reason. If you’re shooting beyond 200 yards, you’ll want a 10-15x scope anyways.

OP
krist003

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
You’re not looking to eat it, just kill it. That bullet velocity at 200 yards will do the job. I’m putting one of those on my AR just for that reason. If you’re shooting beyond 200 yards, you’ll want a 10-15x scope anyways.
I meant in terms of accuracy. You can’t kill what you can’t hit. I’d say most opportunities are under 200, especially when calling, but I want some confidence to just send it if I see one out past 300-400.

OP
krist003

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
That’s pretty conservative. I’ve killed a coyote with a .22LR at 100 yards, dead right there, never took a step. Shot placement is king. I see what your saying though.