Scope cap suggestions

Hello, I have a leupold vx-5hd 3-15x56mm and can't seem to decide on a set of flip up scope caps before rifle season starts here in 2 weeks.
I really like the looks of the leupold alumina caps (i think thats what they are called) but can't justify $300 for the set. That is insanity. I do spend $$ on quality equipment such as sitka gear, scopes, rifles, yadayadaya etc.. but that is just too dang much imo. Does anyone know if the nightforce caps will work for other brands? They are plastic, yes but supposedly very durable and less than 1/3 the price.
Ive tried vortex defender caps but they never seem to fit tight and always pop up waay to easy. Let me know your thought....
Thanks
Tony

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jhm2023

WKR
All of my Leupold scopes have the alumina caps on them. They are certainly worth the money and they are definitely not $300 a set, more like $132. Their website shows MSRP of $65.99 a piece and if you qualify for one of their VIP programs then it would be even cheaper. One year on a sheep hunt while rafting back to my truck, my pack with rifle attached fell over the side of my raft. It was still tied off but being in a canyon I was unable to pull it back into the raft. After a few miles of being drug down the river, I pulled my rifle out and the lens were bone dry.

I bought a set of cheap Butler Creek plastic flip-up caps to keep snow out of my Leupold 3x9-40 on my recent elk hunt. They were $10 each on Amazon for the eye piece and objective. I measured both ends of the scope with a micrometer, ordered the closest size option, and both caps fit snugly. They're nothing fancy but so far they've functioned fine.

OP
TonySkyline
All of my Leupold scopes have the alumina caps on them. They are certainly worth the money and they are definitely not $300 a set, more like $132. Their website shows MSRP of $65.99 a piece and if you qualify for one of their VIP programs then it would be even cheaper. One year on a sheep hunt while rafting back to my truck, my pack with rifle attached fell over the side of my raft. It was still tied off but being in a canyon I was unable to pull it back into the raft. After a few miles of being drug down the river, I pulled my rifle out and the lens were bone dry.
I think cuz of the large objective lens size mine would be $150 and I think that is just 1 unless they come as a set which i didn't think they did. I seen one on ebay for about $130 but still to steep.

Chico103

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for aluminas. They use magnets and have two closed positions, they’re silent. And they’ll flip all the way open and lay flat over the top of the scope. I use butler creeks on non-leupold scopes, they work but are nothing special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Alumina caps too. I've tried them all and they are absolutely the very best IMO.

With that said, I use these on other brands of scopes (Nightforce, etc.) They are my second choice.
http://shop.aadmount.com/Leupold_c16.htm They're not cheap but they're solid and will hold up to hard use.

The old Butler Creeks used to be pretty good, but in my experience they've changed something in their plastic formulas or something. I've had recent versions break just getting bumped around in the safe. IMO they're junk and not worth wasting time or money on. I can't trust they'll even hold together to do the job they're intended to do. YMMV...

OP
TonySkyline
I use the Alumina caps too. I've tried them all and they are absolutely the very best IMO.

With that said, I use these on other brands of scopes (Nightforce, etc.) They are my second choice.
http://shop.aadmount.com/Leupold_c16.htm They're not cheap but they're solid and will hold up to hard use.

The old Butler Creeks used to be pretty good, but in my experience they've changed something in their plastic formulas or something. I've had recent versions break just getting bumped around in the safe. IMO they're junk and not worth wasting time or money on. I can't trust they'll even hold together to do the job they're intended to do. YMMV...
Do the nightforce caps work on other brand scopes?

jhm2023

WKR
I think cuz of the large objective lens size mine would be $150 and I think that is just 1 unless they come as a set which i didn't think they did. I seen one on ebay for about $130 but still to steep.

You are correct that the 56mm cap is more. For some reason I saw 3-15 and assumed 44mm which is what I have. The eyepiece is the same so still 65.99 but the 56mm objective is 149.99 on the Leupold site. Personally I still think they're worth it based on my experience with them in the field.

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
AADMOUNT makes decent caps. Not sure if they make them for your particular scope. Tenebraex are nice as well.

Fullfan

WKR
I use the Alumina caps too Scope is a VX6 3x18x44. Gave less than 100.00 for the set. Well worth the $$

Dont spend a crazy amount of money on them. I have butler creek's on my tikka. The rear one wasnt a tight fit so I put one wrap of black electrical tape around the tube. Fits snug now, no problem even in heavy rain.

I have butler creeks on 3 scopes and about to purchase for a 4th. My experience with moisture and snow has been favorable, and most importantly dust/debris control which is the biggest threat to clarity in normal use. If I had a once in a lifetime type hunt I might would splurge on Aluminas.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
For me, Butler Creeks last a couple years if I’m careful. But then they won’t stay closed. They are inexpensive and cheap. I would pay $100 for a good pair of scope covers that flip up and last. (Lots of rain and snow in northwest Pennsylvania.) There has to be a sizable market out there for quality. I can’t believe someone hasn’t manufactured them. On the other hand, I think I have an idea!!

ChrisAU

WKR
I switched to Butlers thanks to the low price. Worked great on my elk hunt a few weeks ago. I actually prefer one that isn't air tight, I had a Zeiss V6 with a Zeiss objective cover and the objective would fog up when you opened the cover in cold weather after it being in a hot tent all night, even a couple hours after leaving the tent.

OP
TonySkyline
Im really wanting those aluminas but might grab butler creeks for now as season is almost here. I have a mountain rifle being built and will probably be picking up the same scope for that so since that rifle is a heck of a lot more expensive and important, ill definitely splurge and get the aluminas for that one. I may email nightforce to see if they will work on my scope before making the order