Scope cap suggestions

OP
TonySkyline
FWIW, Midway has Leupold Alumina Flip up scope covers on sale right now with free shipping. And it shows they are in stock.
I checked midway and they are backordered on the size I need of course. Not a bad deal tho!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Butler Creek rubber flip caps for as long as I can remeber. I do not have a scope that does not have them on it. They have always worked great for me in any weather. I think they also have some that have a lens on the cap so that you do not have to flip them up for use. I have never used that type but if they work half as well as the normal ones they should be great.

Big_Mac

FNG
I'll have to try the Alumina caps for my Leupold. I have a newish ATACR that needs caps. A buddy bought the same scope a week later same place and it came with caps... I was like WTH? Do the ATACR's come with caps from factory?

I’d been using Butler Creek’s on all my scopes for years, then several years ago I lost one while alder busting on a sheep hunt. I replaced it after the hunt, then went on a goat hunt and lost the same cap again, and again it was lost while busting through alders. Since then I’ve been slowly replacing all the caps on my Leupold’s with the Alumina’s and absolutely love ‘em. They are expensive, but paying a little more to protect expensive optics while in the field, is worth it IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlsmith22

FNG
I'll have to try the Alumina caps for my Leupold. I have a newish ATACR that needs caps. A buddy bought the same scope a week later same place and it came with caps... I was like WTH? Do the ATACR's come with caps from factory?

Every ATACR I have bought came with caps from the factory.

OP
TonySkyline
Update- went with alumina caps and glad i did. These are amazing. Shot a buck at 450 yards which is a new long for me. The leupold vx-5hd 3-15x56mm scope is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cbeard64

WKR
My mountain goat guide used the neoprene full scope covers. This protects the entire scope not just from the elements, but from bumps also. They can be removed quickly and replaced just as quickly.

I have adopted this for all my hunting setups.

JoeDirt

WKR
$300 seems steep for the Alumina caps. I would shop around. I use them they work great.

Their only down fall for me is since I hunt on the coast (lots of rain) you get one shot to open your caps or they fog afterwards. I went out with a basic neoprene cover this year and that worked great, just a little slower.....

16Bore

WKR
BC’s work fine. They’ll get a little fragile in extremely cold weather, but it’s like $8

OP
TonySkyline
Renewing this thread for my next scope purchase I’ll be making in a month or so. I should be getting my custom tikka back soon from hells canyon and will be topping it off with a vortex razor lht (these look perfect for a mountain rifle). What is everyone using for their mountain rifle scopes? Does it matter? Do they take more abuse than a typical whitetail rifle? My aluminas on my Leupold vx5 hd are absolutely amazing! I just don’t want to spend that much again unless I can get em cheaper this time. Maybe I will cuz I’ll need the smaller sizes this time with the LHT. Any other suggestions on vortex scopes? I’ve had the defender caps and honestly not a big fan of em. They look ugly and slip around a bit. Also pop open too easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remy

FNG
+1 on Leopold flip ups they held up very good over the years, fast one thumb flip up when raising up the rifle during rain or snow.

Snaps shut tightly to keep dust and water out and a magnet holds it down when not pushed tightly shut.

I have some on several rifles.

Only had the gold emblem fall off was only glued on. Made it more stealthy.