Scope choice help for new rifle

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys - long time lurker, first time poster looking for some scope help. I'm a noob and I've been reading for several days. There are just so many choices :(

Recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 in 300 win mag and looking for some nice glass for it in the < $1000 range (not retail, but actual purchase price).

Use: hunting anything from white tail deer to elk and big horn. Ranges from 125yds to 500yds.
I know the caliber will go further, but I'm not confident in my ability beyond that distance quite yet.

Most important features in a scope for me are:
- Quality glass, good warranty, proven brand/product
- Reliable and repeatable external turret adjustment and tracking w/zero stop
- Durable - i.e. shock proof, water proof, and fog proof
- FFP reticle
- 50mm+ objective
- 30mm+ tube
- Min magnification in the 3 - 5 range
- Max magnification of 14 (don't really need anything more than this IMO?)
- Less than $1k out the door

Doesn't really matter if its MRAD or MOA - as long as the turret and reticle are in the same unit of measurement
Don't need illuminated reticle or anything like that

The scopes I'm currently considering after my initial research:
- Athlon Optics Ares BTR Gen II 2.5-15x50mm
- Meopta MeoPro Optika 3-18x50mm
- Meopta MeoPro Optika6 3-18x56mm (do I need a 56mm tho?)
- Nikon BLACK FX1000 4-16x50
- Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 (min magnification is kinda high)
- Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50mm (min magnification high here too)
- Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50mm

Not gonna lie, the cheaper ones in my list above appeal to my wallet, but I don't want to cheap out on glass and regret it.

Any opinions on the above lineup? Any others I should consider?
Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Welcome

It would be my pleasure to discuss different options as well as RokSlide pricing with you if you have a few minutes to give a call, 516-217-1000
Doug

Apollo117

WKR
^^^ Doug (@gr8fuldoug) is good people. He's the man to talk to.

I'm not an expert on scopes, but I've read enough opinions from knowledgeable Rokslide members to be able to parrot their recommendations. AFAIK, the only reliable and durable scope in your budget are the Nightforce SHV line of scopes, SWFA scopes or the Bushnell LRTS line of scopes. Only the Mark line of scopes from Leupold have good reviews of reliability. Athlon and Meopta are a mixed bag of reliability.

In your situation, I'd buy a used Nightforce SHV F1 4x14. I'm not sure it checks all your boxes, but it's certainly a good option.

If you’re going to be dialing...

SWFA
Bushnell LRTS
Nightforce SHV
Form had good things to say about the Optika6.

Those are pretty much your options. Stay away from Vortex optics especially in your price range.

I also second calling Doug at cameraland. He’ll get you a great deal on any of the optics above(except the SWFA because those are only sold by SWFA).

I love my VX-5. It meets the criteria you have set. I have Zeiss , Swaro (z3) Vortex (Viper), Nikon and Leupold scopes. Of all of them, the VX-5 has become my favorite.

OP
G

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all I appreciate it. I’m gonna give Doug a call on Monday and discuss as well. Thanks!

OP
G

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at some specs and reviews for the suggested NightForce SHV F1 (seems like an extremely solid piece) - my only concern is the eye relief seems a little tight. You guys using this scope - do you foresee any issues with using it on a 300 win mag (no barrel brake)

Spoonman

WKR
I have a SHV on a Browning abolt ii 338wm and have had zero issues with eye relief. Also have a SHV on a xbolt 300wsm with zero issues. Both rifles do not have a brake on them.

OP
G

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
I have a SHV on a Browning abolt ii 338wm and have had zero issues with eye relief. Also have a SHV on a xbolt 300wsm with zero issues. Both rifles do not have a brake on them.

Great info, thanks! Were the SHVs used on your magnums the F1 (FFP) with the shorter eye relief or the SFP With a little larger eye relief?

Spoonman

WKR
Great info, thanks! Were the SHVs used on your magnums the F1 (FFP) with the shorter eye relief or the SFP With a little larger eye relief?

On the 300wsm it was the ffp but I now have the sfp version. Either way I didn’t have any issues. The 338wm has the sfp SHV.

WRO

WKR
Why do you need a 30 MMS tube for the distances you are shooting?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Looking at some specs and reviews for the suggested NightForce SHV F1 (seems like an extremely solid piece) - my only concern is the eye relief seems a little tight. You guys using this scope - do you foresee any issues with using it on a 300 win mag (no barrel brake)

Have used the F1 SHV a bit, and it is a near clone of the NXS 3.5-15x F1, and that one I have seen tens of thousands of rounds put on them. From 22’s to 50 cals. The eye relief thing is over blown. If you have the gun mounted wrong- you’re getting scopes with any normal optic. If it’s mounted correctly, you’re fine.

sbooher3

FNG
Hey guys - long time lurker, first time poster looking for some scope help. I'm a noob and I've been reading for several days. There are just so many choices :(

Recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 in 300 win mag and looking for some nice glass for it in the < $1000 range (not retail, but actual purchase price).

Use: hunting anything from white tail deer to elk and big horn. Ranges from 125yds to 500yds.
I know the caliber will go further, but I'm not confident in my ability beyond that distance quite yet.

Most important features in a scope for me are:
- Quality glass, good warranty, proven brand/product
- Reliable and repeatable external turret adjustment and tracking w/zero stop
- Durable - i.e. shock proof, water proof, and fog proof
- FFP reticle
- 50mm+ objective
- 30mm+ tube
- Min magnification in the 3 - 5 range
- Max magnification of 14 (don't really need anything more than this IMO?)
- Less than $1k out the door

Doesn't really matter if its MRAD or MOA - as long as the turret and reticle are in the same unit of measurement
Don't need illuminated reticle or anything like that

The scopes I'm currently considering after my initial research:
- Athlon Optics Ares BTR Gen II 2.5-15x50mm
- Meopta MeoPro Optika 3-18x50mm
- Meopta MeoPro Optika6 3-18x56mm (do I need a 56mm tho?)
- Nikon BLACK FX1000 4-16x50
- Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 (min magnification is kinda high)
- Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50mm (min magnification high here too)
- Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50mm

Not gonna lie, the cheaper ones in my list above appeal to my wallet, but I don't want to cheap out on glass and regret it.

Any opinions on the above lineup? Any others I should consider?
Thanks for any and all help!
I love my Zeiss V4 4-16x50

manitou1

WKR
Talk to Doug about the LRTS before they are gone. A bargain for what they are selling them for.
Of course, if you can find a N.F. in your price range that suits you, that would be a good choice also.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor of this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options with you if you've got the time to give a call, 516-217-1000. This way we can discuss what would be best for you.