Scope choices for Yukon sheep hunt

dogman11

FNG
Name your top 5 scope choices for your sheep guns. I’m taking a 5-25 off that is Like a boat anchor!
I’d like to have something with a moa reticle so I can hold for wind and a moa turret to dial past 300.
I shoot a 6.5 140 grain bullet out of a sized 257 weatherby case, it’s pushing 3330fps, it’s fast and flat.
I’m thinking a Zeiss 3-18 that is around 21 ounces what do you guys recommend?
Thanks for any advice!

idig4au

WKR
I have the same caliber as well, it’s a shooter. Mcwhorters built mine up on a Pierce Ti action and proof barrel.

While others may disagree, I don’t think optics are the place to save weight on a mountain gun. I prefer best glass and reliability over weight savings.

My scopes of choice on my mountain guns are Swarovski
-Z8 2-16x50 with BT turret
-Z6 2.5-15x44 with BT turret.

mcseal2

WKR
I have not sheep hunted, but if I was to go I'd pack my Rifles Inc LW70 in 300 win mag with a 3-12x Huskemaw on it. Reasonable weight, good tracking, and MOA wind holds. Toughness is as important as great glass to me in a scope that is going to take a beating traveling and hunting.

I’ll be following along intently. I’m also headed on a Yukon sheep hunt, in 2020, and scope choice is one of the items that has me confused. Searching around on here it seems like the Leupold vx3 is pretty popular but I just don’t know.
Mine will be going atop a 280AI

USMC-40

WKR
I like the Leupold VX3 and VX5 lines. I prefer the 5 at the cost of a couple ounces, but with a lockable turret

Not experience talking here but I’ll be taking a NF nxs 2.5-10x42 to AK this year. My though process is I want the most reliability I can get in a 20 ounce package. If 10x isn’t enough magnification I shouldn’t be taking the shot. Especially on a hunt that’s costing $20k+.

Since my first Dall sheep hunt in 2001, I’ve been blessed to have never missed a season since and I’ve personally taken 13 rams and have been using a VariX3, VX3 or a V3i in 2.5-8 x36 powered scopes in various caliber and model rifles. Rifle scope choice has always stayed relatively the same though

Since 2007 have used with custom CDS dial using MOA dial to. Prior to that zeroed at 300 yds and used the ranging system in the old VarX3 line for hold overs.

Shortest shot 186yds; longest 687yds. All performed flawlessly without the weight. Optical clarity was outstanding and are bullet proof tough.

Last edited:

keller

WKR
I agree with the leupold vx3 2.5-8 I ran this scope for 20+ years. elk, mule deer,black bear, whitetail, Kodiak brown bear,caribou. i fell on it, dropped it many times it still shot straight.never failed me.lightweight small and clear.shot elk from 50 yds to 500 yds just need to know where it shoots at 1 2 3 4 500yds.2018 went on a dall sheep hunt in ak thought I needed more scope took the leupold off.put on a meopta 4-16 power.very nice scope but I never thought I gained anything except weight and it was very noticebale carrying it. i killed a dall sheep at about 100 yds. tough decision good luck and enjoy your hunt.

Not experience talking here but I’ll be taking a NF nxs 2.5-10x42 to AK this year. My though process is I want the most reliability I can get in a 20 ounce package. If 10x isn’t enough magnification I shouldn’t be taking the shot. Especially on a hunt that’s costing $20k+.

I think you have made a solid choice. I have a 2.5-10 NXS on a short light rifle and think it’s hard to beat what you get out of that package at 20 oz.

OP
D

dogman11

FNG
I ordered 3.5-18 in a moa Zeiss v6 it’s 21.3 oz, I have been shooting this rifle out to 900 on steel since it was new , I had McWhorter take the steel barrel off and replace it {850 rounds and getting loose }with a proof research that is shorter. It’s a titanium action and super light McMillan stock. All that said to say that I want all the power I can get to make a shot without lugging a boat anchor. Hopefully I get a 100 yd shot but want to shoot sub moa to 600 with a ton of confidence. This is my first sheep hunt and I’m probably going to change afterwards but I looked thru a couple of my scopes at 8 and 10 power at my 438, 560, and 648 plates thru the lead sled and wanted more, it might be my 45 yr old eyes from reading blueprints everyday!!

USMC-40

WKR
Scope magnification always feels more ‘needed’ on the range. Real world shooting conditions I have rarely if ever taken my scope off the lowest power setting.

I think more magnification can be a negative. Harder to see impacts...especially with the rifle you are shooting...going to have a pretty heavy recoil impulse. Just run a 3-10 or 2-12 in something lightweight.
I shoot quite a bit out at longer ranges and I typically run around 10-11x out to 800yds. Works just fine on 1-2MOA targets. You really shouldn't need to shoot out past 400yds though.

Seeing your impact is very important in hunting. Hits and misses...you need to be able to see and adjust.

If you are running something that can spin up to 18x you will most likely end up there looking at nostril hairs etc...because you have a solid position and you are excited etc. Lets say you have your ram at 300yds. You calculate holdover and wind hold. Steady. You break trigger and have no idea what happened recoil etc...he takes off...you cant find him in the scope...you spin down to 8x and find him. Your partner says you shot over the top of him and ranges him at 400yds now. You adjust your hold for 400 but remember you shot over him. So crosshairs drop on his body a bit. You break the trigger. Shot hits low and you see it because you have a much better field of view at 8x. Oh forgot...SFP scope is different at 18x and 8x...those hold lines change at different magnifications.

Just like anything hunting...simple is better.

RyanC

WKR
Your 3.5 - 18 Zeiss will be just fine....don't overthink it. Use what you have, practice with it and have a great time. That being said, I have a Leupold VX3 4.5 - 14. It worked just fine too, why.......because I practiced with it and was confident when I dialed the CDS I knew where it was going to hit. Now that you have your gun figured out look at other things you need to do to get ready for this adventure. Have a great time!!

Attachments

• RyanRam1.jpg
    RyanRam1.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 66
Went on my first sheep hunt last year so am merely a rookie. Used a 2-12x50 Z6 with the BRH reticle. Memorized what each crosshair represented over the summer while shooting at the range. No dialing. I trained all summer shooting at 12x and did the same when it came time to harvest an animal. The rest of the time I kept it set at 2 in case of a grizzly encounter. I never noticed the weight of my rifle/scope, etc.....Use what YOU like best and gives YOU the most confidence when your finger is on the trigger for that shot of a lifetime.

Last edited:

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
A thought on this......I have a Z8 on my mountain rifle, and have made my peace with the weight. I love the BT and had it all dialed in for last years hunt. When I spotted my sheep, it was at my max distance. It was such a beautiful view, no wind, illuminated reticle on, 16X magnification, rock solid hold, guide right next to me with a hand full of extra ammo, full mag with one in the chamber. I've thought of everything. Boom.....now everybody is shouting (packer and other hunter) and it seems they are rejoicing.....the guide says to put another shot in him. When I re-acquire the ram, he is standing, hunched up and wobbling.....clearly hit, and I shoot again. Then he was down for good. Both shots through the boiler room. Here is what vexes me.....there was another 2nd ram standing there the whole time. It was a ram so close to the one I shot (in size and location) that I was afraid I might accidently put the second shot (at 16X) through the wrong ram. This is something that I double and triple thought out and prepared for, and still, in the excitement, and at such a high magnification, I could see where a mistake could be made. I shudder to think what would have happened if the whole group took off running

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
Op stated he was looking for a...."I’d like to have something with a moa reticle so I can hold for wind and a moa turret to dial past 300 ", and he suggested a scope that came in at just over 21 ozs. I have several Leupold VX-5's and VX-6's and one is on my sheep rifle. VX-6 HD 3-18 x 44, 30MM tube with CDS turret and TMOA reticle and weighs in right at 20 ozs. I always hunt with my rifle at a low power and increase the power when needed. Spendy but Leupold stands behind their scopes.

ColeyG

WKR
I've got a Nikon 4.5-18x40 on my sheep rifle right now. One day, probably sooner rather than later, I will swap it out for the Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44. It's weighs less than 16oz and, I mean, it's called the "mountain hunter" for crying out loud. I really like that magnification range and use something similar on all of my rifles. I prefer more setup time and the forgiving nature of slightly longer distances as opposed to super close range shots. Big fan of the custom turrets.

stevevan

WKR
I've got a Nikon 4.5-18x40 on my sheep rifle right now. One day, probably sooner rather than later, I will swap it out for the Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44. It's weighs less than 16oz and, I mean, it's called the "mountain hunter" for crying out loud. I really like that magnification range and use something similar on all of my rifles. I prefer more setup time and the forgiving nature of slightly longer distances as opposed to super close range shots. Big fan of the custom turrets.
Second the Swaro Z5 3-18x44. I've got four of them. There is very good reason that it's referred to as the sheep hunters scope.