Scope choices....

So I’ve torn apart the internet looking for a good bullet proof lightweight scope. Seems like scopes either don’t track, don’t have good enough eye relief.... fill in the blank. I’m currently looking at the vortex viper hs 2.5-10x44 with the bdc. I can find much on the scope good or bad. Any ideas how they perform? I’m looking at all of the lighter scopes with a bdc type reticle. I want decent eye relief and most importantly reliability. Budget is under $1000. Looking for real world hunting reviews on scopes. Tia

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes

OP
Dinglebottoms
As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes
I’ll most definitely do that thank you

So I’ve torn apart the internet looking for a good bullet proof lightweight scope. Seems like scopes either don’t track, don’t have good enough eye relief.... fill in the blank. I’m currently looking at the vortex viper hs 2.5-10x44 with the bdc. I can find much on the scope good or bad. Any ideas how they perform? I’m looking at all of the lighter scopes with a bdc type reticle. I want decent eye relief and most importantly reliability. Budget is under $1000. Looking for real world hunting reviews on scopes. Tia

I have had really good luck with athlon argos btr gen 2 6-24x50 it doesn’t break the bank can track really good good eye relieve only down side is it is alittle heavy on my tc compass 7mm 26 inch barrel it comes in at 9.7 lbs unloaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dinglebottoms
I have had really good luck with athlon argos btr gen 2 6-24x50 it doesn’t break the bank can track really good good eye relieve only down side is it is alittle heavy on my tc compass 7mm 26 inch barrel it comes in at 9.7 lbs unloaded

I sold something similar to that. Really wanting to stay in the lighter side of things as far as a scope goes

OP
Dinglebottoms
I’m running 2 of them as we speak, I really like the Boone and crocket reticle so that’s another one of my options I can’t decide on

To many choices and to many bad reviews these days

Vortex and leopold and even athlon have really good warranty and are of good quality but the best way is from holding them if possible and seeing for eye relief and if they feel light enough

OP
Dinglebottoms
Vortex and leopold and even athlon have really good warranty and are of good quality but the best way is from holding them if possible and seeing for eye relief and if they feel light enough

I agree, I’m going to have to go look one of these days after I’m out of quarantine

To many choices and to many bad reviews these days

Athlon optics argos btr gen 2 6-24x50 comes in at 30.3 oz
They have a smaller helps btr 2-12x42 that comes in at 25.4 but they are also ffp with zero reset exposed turrets

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
I opted for a Leupold VX-3HD in 2.5-8 x 36 on a Tikka super lite in 7MM08, this was for a sub 7lbs rifle to be used for deer/bear under 300 yards. I liked the fact that I get the free ballistic turret (which I haven't chosen yet) and that the weight for the magnification and FOL is perfect for the distance I will be shooting. Scope was under $500, I went with Talley lightweight rings.

OP
Dinglebottoms
I opted for a Leupold VX-3HD in 2.5-8 x 36 on a Tikka super lite in 7MM08, this was for a sub 7lbs rifle to be used for deer/bear under 300 yards. I liked the fact that I get the free ballistic turret (which I haven't chosen yet) and that the weight for the magnification and FOL is perfect for the distance I will be shooting. Scope was under $500, I went with Talley lightweight rings.
I was looking at that one too, wondering about how it tracks so I can take shots to 400yds if I need to

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at that one too, wondering about how it tracks so I can take shots to 400yds if I need to
I haven't shot it to those distances yet, so I can't give you an accurate review there. I am pleased with the clarity and low-light conditions of the scope. For a Western WA rifle it fits the bill.

OP
Dinglebottoms
I haven't shot it to those distances yet, so I can't give you an accurate review there. I am pleased with the clarity and low-light conditions of the scope. For a Western WA rifle it fits the bill.
Let us know how it works when you get time to try it out further

Mcnasty

FNG
I have the viper hs 2.5-10x44 with the bdc that I just got a few months ago for my Tikka super lite in 7mmREMmag. I only have 50 or so rounds through so take this for what it is worth. I have nothing I can complain about and it was what you would expect to mount, sight in etc. As compared to others on the market I don't know. What I can say is I sat on elk a few weeks back that were at 350yards just on the wrong side of a fence until well after legal shooting light has passed in CO. The best thing I can say to quantify it is with the clarity in the low light, I would have felt good about taking a shot at lease 10 min past legal light. Not saying I would, just trying to articulate the experience. For me beyond 250 is tough for me to see well with the 10x I would want the 16. hope this helps. In addition to the warranty Vortex and other third parties offer deep discounts for military and other service oriented folks. This might be worth a look to get a little more for your $ if you meet the criteria.