Scope choices....

I have the Viper 2.5-10x44 on my "Mock12" and I love it. It's a lot of scope for an AR, but I'm blind as a bat and am glad I went with it. It's sitting in an Aero Precision ultralight mount and it's awesome to look through. It is a bit on the heavy side when compared with a Leupold VX-3i, but I liked the reticle on the Viper better, it's meant for dialing, and mine is the PST version so it's illuminated. Loving it so far. I can't comment on glass or tracking as I didn't shoot with the Leupold, but no let downs with the Viper. The zero stop does leave a bit to be desired, but once you have it all dialed in, it's not hard to use.

OP
Dinglebottoms
I have the Viper 2.5-10x44 on my "Mock12" and I love it. It's a lot of scope for an AR, but I'm blind as a bat and am glad I went with it. It's sitting in an Aero Precision ultralight mount and it's awesome to look through. It is a bit on the heavy side when compared with a Leupold VX-3i, but I liked the reticle on the Viper better, it's meant for dialing, and mine is the PST version so it's illuminated. Loving it so far. I can't comment on glass or tracking as I didn't shoot with the Leupold, but no let downs with the Viper. The zero stop does leave a bit to be desired, but once you have it all dialed in, it's not hard to use.
Thanks a bunch I appreciate it

madcalfe

WKR
light weight, reliable for dialing and under 1000, good luck lol you can have like 1 of those.
leupold vx5hd would probably be the best choice or nightforce nxs 2-10x42 there just over your budget though.
wouldn't waste time on anything vortex under the razor line.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
So I’ve torn apart the internet looking for a good bullet proof lightweight scope. Seems like scopes either don’t track, don’t have good enough eye relief.... fill in the blank. I’m currently looking at the vortex viper hs 2.5-10x44 with the bdc. I can find much on the scope good or bad. Any ideas how they perform? I’m looking at all of the lighter scopes with a bdc type reticle. I want decent eye relief and most importantly reliability. Budget is under $1000. Looking for real world hunting reviews on scopes. Tia
We appreciate you checking out our lineup! The Viper HS 2.5-10x44 is one of my favorite optics for hunting here in the Midwest. It has great eye relief and an extremely wide field of view which makes it great for hunting in thick cover. While most people using this optic are hunting in closer situations you can certainly use it to stretch out to distance as well. I've taken mine out to 600 yards on steel.

If you have any questions on the Viper HS or any of our other products, don't hesitate to reach out!

Deywalker

FNG
Take a look at the SWFA 3-9X42. They're very durable, have a very good reticle and they're only 19oz. Reading posts from formidilosus on here after buying a z5 and wondering if I made a mistake turned me on to them. Now I've got a T3x in a KRG Bravo topped with the SWFA.

EdP

WKR
I have 3 vortex scopes, 2 diamondback HP (no longer made) and a Viper. All have the BDC reticle and I like it. I am satisfied with all of them, but they are not as clear and sharp as my Leupolds. Not as expensive either so I'm not complaining. One thing to note about the Vortex scopes is that the crosshairs are quite fine. That's great for shooting in good light and at small targets/critters, but not as good at first and last light.

pc3

WKR
So I’ve torn apart the internet looking for a good bullet proof lightweight scope. Seems like scopes either don’t track, don’t have good enough eye relief.... fill in the blank. I’m currently looking at the vortex viper hs 2.5-10x44 with the bdc. I can find much on the scope good or bad. Any ideas how they perform? I’m looking at all of the lighter scopes with a bdc type reticle. I want decent eye relief and most importantly reliability. Budget is under $1000. Looking for real world hunting reviews on scopes. Tia
Do the Vortex razor lht 3-15x42 sneak into your budget ? I have the 4.5-22x50 version, not mounted yet but gee the glass is pretty good, it is very light.

Vortex razor lht 3-15 might be what you need

I just sent my razor lht 3-15x42 for warranty, I've had it since it came out, did a bear season, fall season, bear season, then this last fall season. I got it and my bergara at the same time and I bet I have 600-700 rounds through it based on the brass I've kept. It's a good scope, mag ring is stiff esp when cold, about my only gripe. I sent it in with a dented obj lense, a big 3/4in long gouge in the eye piece glass, all the finish worn off edges of the windage cap and elevation turret. I figured I had enough reason to send it in.

Glass is awesome, never had a problem dialing out to 500-600yds, reticle is nice, it's illuminated, it's light and from what I can tell though my abuse pretty durable. They show up on sale for $800? I think?

Even at full price I remember I paid $1k I think it's worth it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I did an extensive comparison of two different scopes for my new T3X in ‘06. I actually purchased both and tested them out and returned the loser. I was able to acquire both for around $900 (deals like this can still be found if you look around)

The Swarovski z3 3-10x42 with BRH and the VX5HD 3-15x44 with illum. Duplex.

The potentially better glass quality and utility of the BRH on the swaro appealed to me. However, after looking though them both out at my camp, I could not tell a single difference optically even in low light. Additionally, the BRH was a very busy reticle, especially if you ever hunt in any timber.

The VX5HD was the hands-down winner for several reasons but here are the two that stood out:

-much better eye-relief and eye box across the entire mag range. I had to mount the swaro very close to my face to get a good view and did not like it with an ‘06. It took zero effort to position my head comfortably behind the VX5.

-more features/ mag range. The illumination, adjustable parallax and CDS are great.

I’m hoping to report many years of issue-free use with the CDS, but i am definitely not dialing all that often.

I have had really good luck with athlon argos btr gen 2 6-24x50 it doesn’t break the bank can track really good good eye relieve only down side is it is alittle heavy on my tc compass 7mm 26 inch barrel it comes in at 9.7 lbs unloaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have also had good luck with this scope on my deer gun. Have it on a 257 Weatherby Mag and it really impressed me on how clear it is for the price.

Good luck meaning you barely use them in the field?
I know this wasn't based on a post I made however I have had Leupold scopes on my rifles for 27 years hunting in the Rockies every fall. Well over 1000 rounds through a 300 Win Mag with a Vari-X IIc and over 500 through a 35 Whelen AI with a VX-2. Just got a VX3 HD 3.5-10 to go on one of them.

Is there something I'm missing with respect to Leupold being unfit these days? CDS is not something I plan to use, so if that's the knock on an otherwise optically nice scope that is light in weight, then that is what it is. If there's a more fitting mid-range priced light weight option in the same 3-9ish range with the great eye relief I'm all ears.

I like my Vortex Viper binocs a lot. Have 12x50's and 10x42's. Actually light in weight and good on performance.

However a Viper 2.5-10 HS scope at almost 17 ounces is over a quarter pound more on my rifle that doesn't get walked from a truck to a tree stand and back out every day. Why Vortex isn't offering a lighter weight option in a mid-range price scope for a general purpose rifle is perplexing. Just trying to understand the divergence from what seems to make sense on a hunting rifle. Maybe I'll get into dialing at some point, but I won't use it and if I'm gonna be shooting at barrel busting range then I won't be building my gun to be light weight and a extra weight won't matter. Until I do, Leupold offers the best solution for me.

Last edited:
Dingle - I might suggest a Burris FF2 w/ the BDC, or a used Nikon. I have had both, a Leupold LR, and Vortex - but the Burris was the best in low light for me.

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
I am from Oregon and i'm done with Leupolds. I just cant deal with their super stiff mag rings anymore. Not when there are equally as good, if not better, scopes out there for the same price that dont have this issue. Or erector issues like many of the v2-v3 lines.
I just picked up 2 Zeiss v4 Conquests at a smokin deal from Red Hawk rifles in Co. One 3-10 and one 4-16. They still have some on sale/closeout or open box.

I know this wasn't based on a post I made however I have had Leupold scopes on my rifles for 27 years hunting in the Rockies every fall. Well over 1000 rounds through a 300 Win Mag with a Vari-X IIc and over 500 through a 35 Whelen AI with a VX-2. Just got a VX3 HD 3.5-10 to go on one of them.

Is there something I'm missing with respect to Leupold being unfit these days? CDS is not something I plan to use, so if that's the knock on an otherwise optically nice scope that is light in weight, then that is what it is. If there's a more fitting mid-range priced light weight option in the same 3-9ish range with the great eye relief I'm all ears.

I like my Vortex Viper binocs a lot. Have 12x50's and 10x42's. Actually light in weight and good on performance.

However a Viper 2.5-10 HS scope at almost 17 ounces is over a quarter pound more on my rifle that doesn't get walked from a truck to a tree stand and back out every day. Why Vortex isn't offering a lighter weight option in a mid-range price scope for a general purpose rifle is perplexing. Just trying to understand the divergence from what seems to make sense on a hunting rifle. Maybe I'll get into dialing at some point, but I won't use it and if I'm gonna be shooting at barrel busting range then I won't be building my gun to be light weight and a extra weight won't matter. Until I do, Leupold offers the best solution for me.
the cds is most likely the reason for that reply, leupolds with 1" tubes (at least) have a bad "track" record... pun intended

BCD

WKR
Vortex razor lht 3-15 might be what you need

I just sent my razor lht 3-15x42 for warranty, I've had it since it came out, did a bear season, fall season, bear season, then this last fall season. I got it and my bergara at the same time and I bet I have 600-700 rounds through it based on the brass I've kept. It's a good scope, mag ring is stiff esp when cold, about my only gripe. I sent it in with a dented obj lense, a big 3/4in long gouge in the eye piece glass, all the finish worn off edges of the windage cap and elevation turret. I figured I had enough reason to send it in.

Glass is awesome, never had a problem dialing out to 500-600yds, reticle is nice, it's illuminated, it's light and from what I can tell though my abuse pretty durable. They show up on sale for $800? I think?

Even at full price I remember I paid $1k I think it's worth it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
How is the LHT 3-15 in low light at low magnification in dark timber?

Thank You!