Scope cover choice in the field

I'm interested in hearing what the consensus is on Tried-and-true method of covering your scope in the elk hunting field is???
And why. From Flip-ups, bikini, to Neoprene. Seems like there are pros and cons to each.

Tried neoprene, but they’re not waterproof. Went with rubber bikini and have like it so far. Don’t like covers, two things to open, make noise, hit things, and heavy/expensive sometimes

brsnow

WKR
I like bikini that come with Swaro scopes, you can see through if you forget to take them off:)

Neoprene scope covers. I pull it when coming over a ridge, or into an opening that looks like an area that holds animals. I like the vortex version with little loop tabs to grip. They are pretty easy to pull off in a hurry, and provide some protection for your optic.

muddydogs

WKR
None, just one more thing to slow you down when things are happening fast. I do carry a Scope Slicker cover easily accessible that I can put on in the rain or if I have to crashing and bashing through snow covered branches. The neoprene scope covers are something that got started to advertise for the manufactures and now all the YouTube watchers think there cool.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for neoprene here! Although I misplaced mine for a few weeks last year and used the bikini ones and they also did the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also use the bikini or neoprene cover but generally only have it covering the lenses when in conditions that could result in the lenses getting dirty or excessively wet. One trick is two put a zip tie around the scope cover in front of or behind the adjustment turrets so that if you have to uncover the lenses quickly, you don't have to concern yourself with losing the cover or putting it in a pocket.

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
Depnds on the hunt. If I'm back east and still hunting, I don't use one, if it's snowing sideways, I might use my neoprene to keep my optics covered, but again, probably not.

When I'm in the west, I always have a neoprene on to keep dust and dirt out. I'm more worried about keeping the dust off than water here in AZ

BluMtn

WKR
Bikinis on all of them. They keep the moisture and dust out and when you know you are getting in the zone you can pop them off. Also if you lose one no big deal, $6 and your back in business.

OP
J
Thanks for the replies!
I tried out the Butler creek, they seem to open by themselves a lot, broke one off already.

Glad to hear positive things on the Neoprene from people using them, may give that a try this year.

ChrisAU

WKR
Check out the Vortex rubber ones. They are durable, light, they make sizes that will fit almost any scope.

oenanthe

WKR
Tried the flip-ups, they all leak or come off in the brush. Didn't work for me.

Tried a neoprene cover, still lets rain and dust in. Didn't work for me.

Started using bikini covers maybe 20 years ago and that's all I use now. Keeps the glass clean and dry, doesn't come off in the brush, and comes off instantly when I need it off. Works for me.

Just have to replace them every few years when they develop deep cracks where they're stretched tight.

cmush

Lil-Rokslider
Really like the flip ups. With just a little practice you can train the motion of popping them up as you come up on the gun. I like being able to make sure my lenses are kept clean if pushing through brush or moisture.