Scope cover choice in the field

Vandy321

WKR
Thanks for the replies!
I tried out the Butler creek, they seem to open by themselves a lot, broke one off already.

Glad to hear positive things on the Neoprene from people using them, may give that a try this year.

If you like the flip-ups...the tenebreax I listed will not flip open on their own. I was extremely unhappy with the fit and function of butler creek in the past.

weaver

WKR
I prefer high quality flip ups like aadland or the ones Leupold makes for their scopes. 2nd is a bikini cover and neoprene covers I like the least.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I tried the butler creeks and kept losing them, I’ll put a neoprene cover on while transporting the gun but I leave it off while hunting. Only exception is the leupold rubber flip ups that came with my mark 5, those fit well and seal up tight, haven’t given me an issue.

Marble

WKR
I use a combination of covers and it depends on the weather. If there is snow, and it fairly cool out like below 25, I use hard covers and neoprene over them. Between the hard covers on each end I keep a folded up piece of toilet paper that I use to wipe the lens if needed. Doing this has made the difference several times when still hunting through timber.

If there is little to no snow or moisture, I keep either my neoprene zip tied to my scope, or one hard cover on the big end. I generally always carry a cover for each end and the neoprene.

Marble

WKR
I tried the butler creeks and kept losing them, I’ll put a neoprene cover on while transporting the gun but I leave it off while hunting. Only exception is the leupold rubber flip ups that came with my mark 5, those fit well and seal up tight, haven’t given me an issue.
I lost several of those too. I taped the hard cover to my scope with electrical tape 4 years ago and never had it slip since. Never spins or gets loose and doesn't pull off in my scabbard.

I use Butler Creek. I have broken one bushwacking through thick alders and have had them open several times going through brush. They are nice and quick to open, but the downside is they don't protect the rest of the scope like a neoprene cover so my scope has a number of scratches. Battle scars I guess. Sometimes I think about trying a neoprene cover instead but afraid I'd just lose it.

If you are worried about loosing stretch covers, go down to the tire store and have them give you an old truck innertube. You can cut a lifetimes supply of stretchy, cheap cover bands from one of them..... Just grab another when you lose one. And, they fit in a pocket better than fat ol' neoprene, and work as well...

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

16Bore

WKR
BC’s work fine, add a little tape if they are lose, tend break easy in really cold weather. Not the end of the world.

Travis907

WKR
I like the vortex neoprene scope cover but usually depends what and where I am hunting. I also have the flip ups on a few scopes but not a huge fan of them.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Always used Butler Creeks until I started still hunting a lot. I broke a set every year for 3 years straight. Started getting the Leupold flip ups when they started making them for their new scopes. All my Leupolds wear them now. I just bought a set of Nightforce flip ups and am very disappointed. I would think they could make something better for the price tag they put on their items.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Scope boots. Like a bikini, but split, so one for the front and one for the back. They slip off when needed and stay connected to the scope.

bbell

WKR
I like the neoprene covers. I think this one is the Scope guard or something like that. Used some parachute cord looped so I can flip it with out losing it. Works well for the Pacific Northwest.
458D2C8D-18E9-4CA4-89B2-3BA075DA05F4.jpeg

Thanks for the replies!
I tried out the Butler creek, they seem to open by themselves a lot, broke one off already.

Glad to hear positive things on the Neoprene from people using them, may give that a try this year.
100% garbage. No idea how some folks seem to like them. Just opened four of them and piss poor. Barely stay shut. And 2 didn’t fit. I knew sizing would be an issue. Seems like they could enlist the free labor of a college intern to give you accurate sizing for common scopes.

Have uncle mikes since the 80s. Bought up all the spare parts when they lost the lawsuit to burris.

I started with flipups but they froze shut.

I rarely use them, but elk hunting we got some weather that made them necessary and I used the leupold rubber bikini that came with the scope. Worked out great, I kept it on most of the time and then when I got close in on the stalk I popped the back off and let it hang so that when I was ready to shoot I just quickly and easily pulled the front off. Kept the rain off the lens, and they seal so nice I should use it in dry conditions too but usually forget it. Plus it was free and one 50mm can cover multiple scopes instead of having to put a flip up on every gun since I have different scopes.