Scope cover recommendations

Oregonboy

WKR
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into a few scope cover options and wanted to get some feedback.

I just picked up a Meopta Meopro 3.5x10x44 and want to protect it when in the field. Usually, I've just gone with Butler Creek flip caps, which I like, but after replacing a few of them on other rifles I want to see what else is out there.

I was curious about the neoprene covers vs the flip cap style. I like the ease and quickness of the flip caps but that's all I know.

What kind of scope cover do you guys prefer to hunt with?

Personally I prefer the neoprene covers. It takes no time to take it off and you are protecting the full body of the scope.

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
Personally I prefer the neoprene covers. It takes no time to take it off and you are protecting the full body of the scope.

Do you feel the neoprene protects the glass against minor accidents? Say, if the rifle fell out of a backpack and tumbled a bit.

rayporter

WKR
the neoprene covers certainly cover more and add protection against both turrets and lens but i have fumbled to remove them in time to shoot. twice an elk nearly escaped at i removed the cover.

WCB

WKR
I've used both extensively...I also had a set of metal flip caps...I have settled on 100% neoprene covers. caps popping op on the side of my pack...looking down and realizing you broken a cap off...button doesn't work etc.

Neoprene just grap the end and rip it off. Never had one come off when I didn't want it to. Only down fall would be if you take it off and set it down. I always have an extra at cam or in the truck. I have formed the habit in situations where I have to take it off quick to just stick it down the front of my jacket or shirt so I don't lose it.

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
I've used both extensively...I also had a set of metal flip caps...I have settled on 100% neoprene covers. caps popping op on the side of my pack...looking down and realizing you broken a cap off...button doesn't work etc.

Neoprene just grap the end and rip it off. Never had one come off when I didn't want it to. Only down fall would be if you take it off and set it down. I always have an extra at cam or in the truck. I have formed the habit in situations where I have to take it off quick to just stick it down the front of my jacket or shirt so I don't lose it.

Is there a certain brand you'd recommend?

WCB

WKR
Is there a certain brand you'd recommend?

just your basic Scope Coat...nothing with a draw string or anything like that to get caught on stuff. I think I have a couple of Allen brand ones also and they work all the same. Scope Coats are $20-$30...I think I picked up the Allens for like $10. no complaints on either. Make sure you check sizes and your scope measurements to make sure they will fit. .

Wapiti1

WKR
Put a tether on the neoprene cover and put the tether around the forearm. Or get one with a tether. It will be captured by your sling. You won't lose it this way. Just pull it off and let it hang from the rifle.

I use a hot nail to melt a hole, then put a 5" or so, loop of paracord through the hole. The paracord goes around the rifle forearm.

Jeremy

j33

WKR
Be careful with those caps making noise when they're flipped open fast. Last fall my hunting buddy spooked a deer he wanted to shoot.... eventually shot him so didn't ruin the hunt.

wseidel

WKR
Check out the Alaskan Scope Guard. Great product that covers more of the action plus it has a retainer strap that keeps it tethered to your rifle (the gray camo version is a bit thicker neoprene as well). Wonderful customer service, to boot. Hope this helps...

The thicker neoprene you can find the better. I can’t remember the brand but the last one I ordered left something to be desired on the thickness of the neoprene.

It still protects the glass but it has a problem of sliding around on the body and leaving areas exposed.

tdot

WKR
Neoprene scope cover for me.

I carry my rifle in a gun bearer, then I attach the scope cover fairly low on my pack's shoulder strap. When I pull my gun out, it pulls the cover off, all in one quick motion. The cover is left hanging at my hip and it isn't flapping in the breeze or causing any sort of issue.

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
Neoprene scope cover for me.

I carry my rifle in a gun bearer, then I attach the scope cover fairly low on my pack's shoulder strap. When I pull my gun out, it pulls the cover off, all in one quick motion. The cover is left hanging at my hip and it isn't flapping in the breeze or causing any sort of issue.

I'm really liking this idea and have been thinking about adding a gun bearer for a while.

Not sure what thick is in the neoprene scope covers but the Scope Coat XP-6 Flak Jacket advertises 6mm in thickness. I have these on my scopes and you can definetly feel the difference giving comfort you have a good bumper on your scope if needed.

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
Not sure what thick is in the neoprene scope covers but the Scope Coat XP-6 Flak Jacket advertises 6mm in thickness. I have these on my scopes and you can definetly feel the difference giving comfort you have a good bumper on your scope if needed.

that’s the model I was looking at. I see they’re offered in two sizes, 12.5 inch long with a 42 objective or 12.5 inch long with a 50 mm objective. My objective lens is 44cm, should I try to squeeze it into the 42 or go with the 50?

I would hate to steer you wrong however, I have 50mm objective and bought the 50mm cover and it is snug/good fit. Just my guess, the 44mm would be the best bet. Good luck but once you get the one that fits I believe you will be completely sastified.

I like the neoprene scope covers, and the protection they provide. I have one each from Leupold and Vortex. The Vortex has a loop on the back to make it easier to pull off in a hurry. I make it a point to pull the cover off when cresting a ridge or coming in to an clearing where I expect to see animals.