Scope Elevation Adjustment Question?

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm looking at getting a new scope on my 30-06. I'm eyeing the the Meopta Meopro 4.5-14 x 44 TT. But before I pull the trigger, I was looking at the max windage and elevation adjustments and if they are enough if I wanted to use the turrets.

The scope specs call say a max of 43 in/100yds or 119cm/100m. I'm just a little unsure how this translates. Is that basically saying at 100 yards I can only move the reticle up/down 21.5in either way? Seems like the adjustments are fairly limited or am I missing something?

For example, if I'm zeroed at 100 yards and estimated bullet drop at 500 yards is ~53 in, would this work? Or would i just have to zero at 200 to get easier adjustments.

Bare with me I'm new to turret adjustments. I may just be overthinking it.

Also eyeing the leupold VX3i or used zeiss v4. These seem measure elevation/windage in MOA

ChrisAU

WKR
Don't think in inches or cm, think in MOA/MILs. 43 MOA of adjustment, or 21.5 on each side of the scope's elevation travel adjustment is plenty for most hunting rigs. My 280AI is 146.4 inches low at 800 yards with a 100 yard zero, but that is only 17.48 MOA. Therefore, 21.5 is plenty. Just an example.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As noted MIL or MOA its an angular change that grows as the distance increases. If you're aiming ~1" high at 100yd that means you're aiming ~10" high at 1000yd.

OP
Dave_

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Awwww Makes sense. I knew I was missing something, I'm just thinking to literal I guess. Thanks Guys!!!

skierhs

WKR
Awwww Makes sense. I knew I was missing something, I'm just thinking to literal I guess. Thanks Guys!!!
Be warned though, if they advertise in inch per 100 yards then you need to use that for any ballistic calculator you use. If you choose MOA on your calculator then your solution will be off.

OP
Dave_

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Be warned though, if they advertise in inch per 100 yards then you need to use that for any ballistic calculator you use. If you choose MOA on your calculator then your solution will be off.
Thanks for the heads up. Will do!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'm not sure but I think when it says "1/4 inch per click at 100 yds" it's actually 1/4 moa and they just state it as 1/4". So using moa or mil for that matter would be more accurate at longer distances than using inches. That may also depend on scope manufacturer.

For example, if I'm zeroed at 100 yards and estimated bullet drop at 500 yards is ~53 in, would this work? Or would i just have to zero at 200 to get easier adjustments.

Depending on what cartridge you're shooting, zero at 200 or 250 should provide a no adjustment shooting range of 300 yd and less, then beyond that you can dial the scope for elevation. Like someone said once "let's not make this more difficult or complicated than it needs to be".

skierhs

WKR
I'm not sure but I think when it says "1/4 inch per click at 100 yds" it's actually 1/4 moa and they just state it as 1/4". So using moa or mil for that matter would be more accurate at longer distances than using inches. That may also depend on scope manufacturer.
In my experience when the manual states it’s quarter inches instea of MOA then it’s a quarter inch. If they had the adjustment as MOA they would have states that. The reticle is still MOA though I’d guess. Some ballistic solvers do have an option to account for the in per click and 100. I know AB does so it wouldn’t really affect you long term as long as you account for it. Look at NF manuals they lay out that thier moa scopes are actual moa and not inch per hundred.

OP
Dave_

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like an moa is really about 1.047" at 100. So I guess the longer the distance the longer the discrepancy. Ill just have to do some shooting to verify poi either way. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk