Scope for Mauser M18 in 6.5CM. Burris vs vortex

Jo83ben

FNG
So i've got a Mauser M18 in 6.5 creedmore thats long overdue for glass. Its pretty much going to be a deer rifle for western hunting (Oregon, so a mix of thick coastal forest and some longer range high country/mountains). I have a can on order so it will be suppressed once that goes through.
I've narrowed it down to two budget(ish) options, both 4-16x

First is Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44mm with MOA turrets. Its a 30mm tube, exposed turrets (no zero-stop), and first focal plane. I love the larger tube diameter and FFP, however at 4x the reticle is pretty thin and small which might make it hard to see in low light hunting conditions. I love that this is a versatile scope that would be happy on a long range tacticool build or a hunting set up, giving me some flexibility to move it to other platforms in the future.

Second is a Burris Fullfield IV 4-16x50mm with the 6.5CM reticle. This scope is a 1" tube, but 50mm objective. Capped turrets, and is about 3.5oz lighter then the vortex. I can't find much on this scope, but the one video I did find on youtube the guy said the 6.5CM reticle is spot on for hunting conditions (he tested it at 300 and 500yds).

I actually bought both scopes already and will return one once I decide, so they're not mounted yet.
Both scopes have excellent glass (though I haven't had them out in low light to compare them yet), both have excellent lifetime warranties, both have side focus/paralax.

I like the versatility of the vortex, though I don't know that i'll look for another scope for this rifle so I'm not sure that matters. If the Burris reticle does what it says then it'd be perfect for hunting, as it has built in ranges for 0-700 yards and 10mph crosswind holdovers for each of those ranges.

Does anyone here have any experience with either of these two scopes and/or what are your thoughts?

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I would think a FFP reticle at 4x is going to be hard to see when in a coastal forest. Your shot may also be relatively close in that setting, do your FOV may be too narrow. I would think a scope with 2.5x or 3x on the lower end of magnification would be better in the forests. So maybe a 3-12 SFP would be better for your usage. Just my opinion.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
Not a huge fan of the cheaper Vortexes- lots of returns to get that good warranty coverage. I’ve seen some from their sponsored TV hunters have to be returned. Burris makes good scopes for hunting & tend to hold zero. If you plan on shooting 500 yards it’s nice to have a tool that can do it. My 6.5 has hit targets out to 1100 yards with a Zeiss V4 6-24x50, cheap factory ammo & Zeiss phone app. Wouldn’t dream of shooting a big game animal with that caliber past 400 yards myself. The foot lbs drop below 1,000 at about 450 yards that’s my minimum for deer.

FFP and exposed turrets sounds cool & tactical but for a pure hunting scope on a standard caliber don’t make much sense to me. I’m sure either one will work but the Burris would be my choice,

OP
J

Jo83ben

FNG
Thanks for your replies! I ended up keeping the burris. So far so good, though I hate the knurling they did on the zoom ring. Its like a one way grip. Zooming in its fairly grippy, but zooming back out its smooth and harder to spin. The knurling is machined in such a way that there's sharp edges on one side of each little ridge. I'm hoping they make a zoom throw lever for it, or maybe I can get a universal one to attach securely enough for it.

OP
J

Jo83ben

FNG
Also I agree, realistically for hunting purposes i'll keep my shots to under 500yds, and probably would prefer to stay under 300 if i'm being honest. I would trust my 6.5CM for elk under 300yds and an easy shot, but my 30-06 is my elk gun now and i'm looking to do a 6.8 Western some day.

"Backfire" channel on youtube did a review and had Burris Fullfield and Vortex Tac both at the top of their game (cool little vid). I hear Burris has amazing glass. Both have pretty much the same warranty. And Burris is cheaper.
Exposed turrets are cool but. Like Vino said unless hunting in Iowa, starting with 4x is little high for me. Good luck