Scope for my Henry 45-70

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to be putting a scope on my new Henry Classic 45-70 rifle. I'm planning on using the rifle itself for < 200 yard shooting. With that as the background, I'm going to go with another Leupold scope. I currently have a VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 SIDE FOCUS HTMR on my Browning 30-06. What I'm going back and forth about is whether to put the same scope (except this time with a Firedot reticle) on the Henry, or to put the VX-3HD 3.5-10X50 CDS-ZL ILLUM. FIREDOT TWILIGHT HUNTER on it.

I'm leaning towards the VX-5 vs the VX-3, but would like to hear from others on what you would recommend. Is the 50mm objective on the VX-3 worth the trade off vs the better overall optics of the 40mm objective on the VX-5? Thanks.

Maki35

WKR
You don't need a 50mm scope on your Henry 45-70. imo

Years ago, I purchased a used marlin with a large objective scope mount on it. The scope looked awkward/ cumbersome sitting on the marlin. I quickly replaced it with a compact 1-4x20 scope (much better. A lever-action is a compact quick handling rifle. I don't like adding bulk to it.)
(Some purist would say it's a sin to put a scope on a lever-action. But I say you can't hit what you can't see. Lol)
To each their own. 40mm objective would be the largest I would use on a lever-action. just my $0.02

Last edited:
OP
tcpip95

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
You don't need a 50mm scope on your Henry 45-70. imo

Years ago, I purchased a used marlin with a large objective scope mount on it. The scope looked awkward/ cumbersome sitting on the marlin. I quickly replaced it with a compact 1-4x20 scope (much better. A lever-action is a compact quick handling rifle. I don't like adding bulk to it.)
(Some purist would say it's a sin to put a scope on a lever-action. But I say you can't hit what you can't see. Lol)
To each their own. 40mm objective would be the largest I would use on a lever-action. just my $0.02
You make a great point about the size. A 50 would look like a telescope on it. Thanks.

I put a Leupold vx-3i 2.5-8x36mm on my Win 94 .307. If I were doing it again I’d go with a 1-6. The low, low end, magnification is needed for quick shots. The high end magnification of 6 or 8 is more than enough for sub 300 yard shots on med to big game. 1“ tube and small 36mm objective keeps it small and light weight. And it still looks awkward on a lever gun! No dialing needed on mine. I’ll never shoot at anything over 250 yards with it. 300 max.

barrister

WKR
I have a Leupold VX5HD 1-5x24 on my 45-70. It's a great scope and the magnification/physical size of the scope are great in proportion to the capabilities/handling of the gun. I've used that same scope on multiple of my "200 yards and less" guns.

Tank9

FNG
I have a Leupold VX5HD 1-5x24 on my 45-70. It's a great scope and the magnification/physical size of the scope are great in proportion to the capabilities/handling of the gun. I've used that same scope on multiple of my "200 yards and less" guns.
No issues with the recoil beating the hell out of the scope at all?

Well, after reading everyone’s input, I’ve decided on the Leupold VX-3HD 1-5x20 Firedot. Your points about it being <200 yards, smaller size, still able to use it as a backup to my larger scope all made good sense.

Thank you to all of you.

Are 100% on a scope? If your eyes are in decent shape, a skinner type peep would take you out to 200yd easy.

I'm still just using the buckhorn on my 1886 but have been considering the Lyman receiver mounted sight

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
1-4 with generous eye releif or a small red dot like an RMR or Aimpoint micro. Leverguns in short terrain benefit from speed and keeping your head up, don't trade that off by mounting a huge scope.

OP
tcpip95

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Are 100% on a scope? If your eyes are in decent shape, a skinner type peep would take you out to 200yd easy.

I'm still just using the buckhorn on my 1886 but have been considering the Lyman receiver mounted sight
Yeah, pretty much. I'm pretty near-sighted (have been all my life) so anything out past 100 yards requires a lot of visual effort.

I like the Skinner. I'm going to put a brass peep and give it a try. I'll still get the Leupold scope though.

Express_3.jpg

OP
tcpip95

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Yes I love those brass ones.

How about a picture of your rifle?
I'll post up a pic shortly. It's arriving Monday. In the meantime here's the factory picture

H024-3855-Hero-SASS-approved-scaled-1.jpg

barrister

WKR
No issues with the recoil beating the hell out of the scope at all?
I haven't had any issues to date. I don't shoot it a ton for recreation. I'll shoot it in preparation for deer seasons or a bear hunt and occasionally in between. My eyes are getting worse as I get older and I went with the VX5 for the best possible glass at the low light primetime.