Scope for my new 300 WM

lanemj

FNG
Hey all,

This is my first time not inheriting a scope, or a rifle for that matter, so I wanted to make sure I did my research, which doesn't seem complete without a post here. A little more about my needs.

- mounting it on a CA Ridgeline Ti (300 WM)
- hunting in the mountains (western MT, southern ID and western WA)
- want something that is great inside 200 yards but doesn't prevent me from longer shots (up to 500 yds)
- want something durable with great glass
- willing to spend up to $2,000 but would love to keep it closer to $1000

Currently I'm looking at the Swarovski x5, the Maven RS 1 and the Leupold Mark 5 HD (which a dealer is trying to sell me on but I think it's more than what I need).

Thanks for any advice!

OP
L

lanemj

FNG
Not sure if your set on that list but Razor LHT or Zeiss V4 would be my choices given your constraints.
I forgot to add the LHT. That is a nice scope and still on the short list. I'll check out the Zeiss as well.

Thanks!

JakeSCH

WKR
I have the RS.1 on my CA Mesa Ti 300 WM and it has been great, helping me tag my bull and cow elk this year.

I also run the LHT on my 6.5 PRC, which has been a good scope as well. I would not hesitate between any of mentioned scopes as they will all work well for you purpose. Find the one with the weight, reticle, and features that you want to buy it.

rootacres

WKR
There are a lot of good ones. I have to say that LHT is a kick ass package. Feature rich and only 19oz. I had the LH first and sold it for the new 30mm tube LHT when it came out. So far I’ve taken 1 critter and it performed great. Click adjustments are precise and return to zero consistently.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I forgot to add the LHT. That is a nice scope and still on the short list. I'll check out the Zeiss as well.

Thanks!
The Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 would be a great choice for the setup you described. The glass quality and light-weight design of this optic make it tough to beat. If you have any questions on this optic, don't hesitate to reach out!

SDHNTR

WKR
I just want to know where you are finding a Swarovski X5 within your stated budget?

SDHNTR

WKR
The Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 would be a great choice for the setup you described. The glass quality and light-weight design of this optic make it tough to beat. If you have any questions on this optic, don't hesitate to reach out!
I have a question about that scope… Why is it not offered in other reticle choices? Basic Plex? Plex and wind holds? Something more traditional for us old schoolers? I would buy two right now, but I just can’t wrap my mind around that strange reticle for hunting.

OP
L

lanemj

FNG
I just want to know where you are finding a Swarovski X5 within your stated budget?
Sorry, I should have mentioned that the X5 would be a big stretch. It's just the first one I looked at in person and I really liked it. But since I've found a few others that more than meet my needs, it's out of consideration.

My vote would be for the Razor HD LHT 3-15x42. Extremely light weight, but with all the right features. It would be a great scope to go on your CA Ridgeline. It will be the next scope I buy.

Leupold VX5HD

The VX6HD is basically a VX5 with a throw lever, aluminum lens caps and a zero lock windage turret that I didn’t care for.

Excellent eye relief, clear glass and most importantly bright at the edges of day light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a question about that scope… Why is it not offered in other reticle choices? Basic Plex? Plex and wind holds? Something more traditional for us old schoolers? I would buy two right now, but I just can’t wrap my mind around that strange reticle for hunting.
Great question! The Razor HD LHT was designed to be a lightweight option that was practical for hunting close and at longer distances. It offers the HSR-5i and G4i BDC reticle choices which offer holds for those longer shots. As we all know, shot opportunities can come up fast in hunting situations, so by understanding your ballistics you can quickly hold for shots beyond your zero distance.

Put the Nightforce NX8 on your list. It is the upper end of your budget but checks all of your boxes and then some.

Look at your local laws for what is allowed and not allowed. Some states you cannot use an electronic internal level (VX6HD).

Not all reticles work for all individuals. For example, the Vortex G4/G5 reticles are great for precision but wash out against dark backgrounds (ex: black bear) for my eyes. Others have great success with those same reticles.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Put the Nightforce NX8 on your list. It is the upper end of your budget but checks all of your boxes and then some.

Look at your local laws for what is allowed and not allowed. Some states you cannot use an electronic internal level (VX6HD).

Not all reticles work for all individuals. For example, the Vortex G4/G5 reticles are great for precision but wash out against dark backgrounds (ex: black bear) for my eyes. Others have great success with those same reticles.
Totally agree - at the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference for reticles. One feature did upgrade with the Razor HD LHT line is we added a center illuminated dot which helps with contrast on dark targets.

Totally agree - at the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference for reticles. One feature did upgrade with the Razor HD LHT line is we added a center illuminated dot which helps with contrast on dark targets.
You guys made a great scope (the LH) even better with the introduction of the LHT. From all accounts it does look like you guys hit a home run on the LHT.

Sadler

WKR
If you’re willing to pay 2k then go nightforce. A quick search on here will tell you everything you need to know about vortex and Leupold.

I’ve never owned a Maven but I hear great things about them so that would be my first choice if I wanted to keep it closer to 1k

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Great question! The Razor HD LHT was designed to be a lightweight option that was practical for hunting close and at longer distances. It offers the HSR-5i and G4i BDC reticle choices which offer holds for those longer shots. As we all know, shot opportunities can come up fast in hunting situations, so by understanding your ballistics you can quickly hold for shots beyond your zero distance.
I get it, in theory. But that reticle is just too weird. Gimme a Plex (tried and true for hunting) and I’ll dial for the longer shots. No clutter. No confusion.