Scope for Western Rifle in the $1000 Range?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Why in the world do you need all that jazz to shoot 500 yards? You shouldn’t need to dial with a 300 WSM at 500. Sight in 2-3” high at 100 and figure out where you hit with the top of the bottom duplex at 500 and keep it simple…

Or get some type of BDC reticle.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Have you considered the Sightron S-TAC FFP 3-16x42 Zero Stop - Mil-Hash-2 #26017
The S-TAC 3-16x42 FFP employs an illuminated Mil-Hash reticle for intermediate range applications where a smaller optic is needed. The MH-2 reticle has an illuminated crosshair with hash marks in 1/2 mil increments. The FFP model also utilizes an easy to set Zero-stop mechanism with.1 Mil clicks for tactical applications. The scope offers 20.4 MRAD of elevations adjustments for even the longest shots. A unique flip-up lever is built into the power ring for easy adjustments of cold days.
  • Tactical Turrets
  • Easy to set Zero Stop
  • Zact-7 Revecoat Multicoating for excellent light transmission
  • Exclusive ExacTrack Windage and Elevation adjustment system
  • First Focal Plane Reticle
    The reticle size changes with magnification setting. Reticle values remain constant in relation to your target.
That scope does look nice! At that price point I would wonder about tracking reliability.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Why in the world do you need all that jazz to shoot 500 yards? You shouldn’t need to dial with a 300 WSM at 500. Sight in 2-3” high at 100 and figure out where you hit with the top of the bottom duplex at 500 and keep it simple…

Or get some type of BDC reticle.
I will practice out to twice that far. I also much prefer the precision of dialing to the guessing with a BDC reticle. Which BDC scope do you recommend?

Thanks

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I will practice out to twice that far. I also much prefer the precision of dialing to the guessing with a BDC reticle. Which BDC scope do you recommend?

Thanks
That makes good sense. I never trust dialing, and I want to be able to shoot without the extra step of dialing if necessary. I just use Leupold’s B&C reticle. Works well for me.

Reactions: BCD
OP
B

BCD

WKR
That makes good sense. I never trust dialing, and I want to be able to shoot without the extra step of dialing if necessary. I just use Leupold’s B&C reticle. Works well for me.
Iv'e heard nothing but good things about that reticle. I feel more comfortable dialing but maybe should spend more time with a BDC scope considering all the tracking failures you hear about....

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I’ve been looking hard at the Zeiss V4’s to upgrade one of mine. There are better options but you just don’t see much bad about them. You can also run across a decent deal depending on the reticle and illumination you’re after
Do the V4's come in MRAD? I'm only seeing MOA. Maybe I'm missing something...

TN2shot07

WKR
Do the V4's come in MRAD? I'm only seeing MOA. Maybe I'm missing something...
That’s my bad, the v4’s don’t. You’d have to step up in their line and it’ll be out of that price point

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
I'm gonna go outside the box here - Swaro Z whatever with the BRH reticle. Really it's just a MIL reticle with a wind tree.

Capped adjustments, easy use out to farther than your bullet will perform, great optics. Get your load dialed in and make a cheat sheet. With 1/2 MIL divisions, you could hold to 1/4 MIL on the glass along with windage.

It checks a lot of your requirements.

BjornF16

WKR
I'm gonna go outside the box here - Swaro Z whatever with the BRH reticle. Really it's just a MIL reticle with a wind tree.

Capped adjustments, easy use out to farther than your bullet will perform, great optics. Get your load dialed in and make a cheat sheet. With 1/2 MIL divisions, you could hold to 1/4 MIL on the glass along with windage.

It checks a lot of your requirements.
Except reliability/durability

BjornF16

WKR
Known for failures to keep zero, return to zero

BjornF16

WKR
Unfortunately, same with the Zeiss V4

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
Ahhh, 'Scope Jesus' says it's bad. You've never actually had one though...

It's a scope I wouldn't dial with and that was not my recommendation. Just offering something different. Best of luck to the OP it's a list that may be hard to fill - everything is a compromise.

Snarky Edit - Form is a fountain of knowledge. I have taken his recommendation on scopes and scope mounting. I've been pleased by both. Sometimes though, I like to try and test things myself, for my use. I occasionally find something that works for me that was tested by me. I found it nice not to run dials and just use the glass. I've had no zero and durability issues. YMMV....

Last edited: