Scope for Western Rifle in the $1000 Range?

BjornF16

WKR
Ahhh, 'Scope Jesus' says it's bad. You've never actually had one though...

It's a scope I wouldn't dial with and that was not my recommendation. Just offering something different. Best of luck to the OP it's a list that may be hard to fill - everything is a compromise.
Scope Jesus?…that’s funny

I’ve had Zeiss Conquest, not the V4. Had problems with it on 7mmRM and 300WM. I’ve had issues with other scopes as well. What “Scope Jesus” promulgates makes sense and, unfortunately, I’ve experienced some of those issues but always wrote it off to other things.

A scope you “wouldn’t dial with” is indicative of design issues with the erector system that would also mean issues with keeping zero. Yup, I’ve experienced that as well.

For BCD:
Look at NF, SWFA, Bushnell LRHSi/LRTSi 3-12 (if you can find them used for sale - I now have 3), possibly Trijicon Credo’s (soon to be tested by “Scope Jesus”).

NF SHV 4-14 F1 meets all your criteria except weight (it is 30 oz).
NF NXS 2.5-10 is SFP only and weighs in at 19 oz. Blows your budget though.
SWFA 5-20 can be had illuminated, but blows your budget as well as weight criteria (31 oz).
LRHSi are about 26oz
Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 FFP is mRad, about 23 oz and is right around your budget (I have one and like it so far)

If you haven’t read the Scope Evaluation threads, they have a lot of great information

letrbuck

WKR
I may get flack for this but here it goes...

I see a lot folks on here and other forums that are building a gun or scoping a gun for a trip 'out west' and are all hot and bothered about having a dialing scope but don't want to shoot past 500 yards.

As someone who lives and hunts in Wyoming, you're better off going with a light scope with a bdc reticle than a 1.5lb+ scope that has ffp or big turrets.

If I had a dollar for every time I've run into someone who forgot to reset their turret and then either airmail a shot on a critter or wound it because they forgot yo re-dial or reset to zero...

For hunting, get a nice scope with a good BDC reticle and practice with it. My primary hunting rifle wears a Maven RS2 2-10 and I've got a load that matches up very well to their bdc. No problems hitting steel at 800 at the range and I've killed critters past 400 yards the last couple seasons.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Scope Jesus?…that’s funny

I’ve had Zeiss Conquest, not the V4. Had problems with it on 7mmRM and 300WM. I’ve had issues with other scopes as well. What “Scope Jesus” promulgates makes sense and, unfortunately, I’ve experienced some of those issues but always wrote it off to other things.

A scope you “wouldn’t dial with” is indicative of design issues with the erector system that would also mean issues with keeping zero. Yup, I’ve experienced that as well.

For BCD:
Look at NF, SWFA, Bushnell LRHSi/LRTSi 3-12 (if you can find them used for sale - I now have 3), possibly Trijicon Credo’s (soon to be tested by “Scope Jesus”).

NF SHV 4-14 F1 meets all your criteria except weight (it is 30 oz).
NF NXS 2.5-10 is SFP only and weighs in at 19 oz. Blows your budget though.
SWFA 5-20 can be had illuminated, but blows your budget as well as weight criteria (31 oz).
LRHSi are about 26oz
Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 FFP is mRad, about 23 oz and is right around your budget (I have one and like it so far)

If you haven’t read the Scope Evaluation threads, they have a lot of great information
Good Info-

Im leaning towards the Credo. I have the SWFA 3-9 on another rifle and wanted to try something different.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I may get flack for this but here it goes...

I see a lot folks on here and other forums that are building a gun or scoping a gun for a trip 'out west' and are all hot and bothered about having a dialing scope but don't want to shoot past 500 yards.

As someone who lives and hunts in Wyoming, you're better off going with a light scope with a bdc reticle than a 1.5lb+ scope that has ffp or big turrets.

If I had a dollar for every time I've run into someone who forgot to reset their turret and then either airmail a shot on a critter or wound it because they forgot yo re-dial or reset to zero...

For hunting, get a nice scope with a good BDC reticle and practice with it. My primary hunting rifle wears a Maven RS2 2-10 and I've got a load that matches up very well to their bdc. No problems hitting steel at 800 at the range and I've killed critters past 400 yards the last couple seasons.
If they are forgetting to check their dial before shooting, they could just as well forget which BDC mark to hold on. Dialing is so much more precise. There are pros and cons to each. What BDC scope do you recommend?

letrbuck

WKR
BDC is at least staring you in the face when you are looking through the scope... and it doesn't change.

I don't think it particularly matters which BDC you get. Know the subtensions and find a load that matches up closely

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
BDC is at least staring you in the face when you are looking through the scope... and it doesn't change.

I don't think it particularly matters which BDC you get. Know the subtensions and find a load that matches up closely
Something like a TMOA can be good for quicker closer holdover action (under 400yds)

ahlgringo

WKR

Or find a load that works and then figure out what subtensions equate to. Not super difficult with something like Strelok.

But agree on the FFP- its been my choice

BjornF16

WKR

But it does change…with elevation and atmospheric changes.

One of the Zeiss Conquests I had was BDC. Constantly had to re-zero.

Same with VX-3i that was a custom BDC reticle for my 30-378 and 180AB.

The other “issue” I have is BDC reticle is only good at Max power (or some precise variable to you have to find through shooting or calculate on some app).

For me, I’m finding shooting at 6x is more than adequate out to 500 yards and allows me to see impacts.

YMMV

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm looking for a scope to put on my Browning Xbolt HC Speed in 300 WSM that I will use for elk and possibly mule deer out West. I cant imagine I would ever shoot further than 500 yards on game but I will certainly practice at longer distances. Some of the criteria I'm looking for follow:

MUST BE IN MRAD
Relliable Tracking and RTZ
SFP or FFP. If FFP I would prefer to have illumination
Usable for close range in the timber at low light and with low magnification
Magnification from 2-4 on the lower end and up to 16 on the higher end
I will dial for yardage and hold for wind
Light weight of course preferred but I'm willing to sacrifice some here if necessary

Please let met know what scopes you might consider.

Thank You!
Check out the Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 for your setup. These bad boys are weighing in at 19.1 oz with our Razor HD line of glass. It also has an exposed, locking elevation adjustment and capped windage. You'll be able to find these at dealers for $999.99. https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-razor-hd-lht-3-15x42-riflescope.html

If you have any questions on this optic, or any in our lineup, don't hesitate to reach out.

The BDC absolutely does “change.” Your POI isn’t the same at sea level as 8000’. It isn’t the same at 0* as 85*. It isn’t the same if your load changes even slightly.

A BDC doesn’t replace knowing your dope and being able to dial it exactly.

letrbuck

WKR
The BDC absolutely does “change.” Your POI isn’t the same at sea level as 8000’. It isn’t the same at 0* as 85*. It isn’t the same if your load changes even slightly.

A BDC doesn’t replace knowing your dope and being able to dial it exactly.
I think you are missing the point I was trying to make. A BDC in fact does not change, but your POI does based on the factors you mentioned. Which are also factors when dialing turrets for a shot. That post was in reference to dialing for a shot and not resetting.

I had a chance to fondle one of the Vortex 3-15X42 LHT scopes at a local retailer- really nice. I had my eye on the 4.5-22, but I seemed to like this one better.

That makes good sense. I never trust dialing, and I want to be able to shoot without the extra step of dialing if necessary. I just use Leupold’s B&C reticle. Works well for me.
I see from this post why you don't trust dialing. I was there myself years back with the same equipment you referenced.

I can pass along that a reliable dialing scope with a measuring reticle is a way better way to consistently hit far off targets than messing around with the arbitrary spacing of a BDC. Not saying that they don't work to an extent, just stating that IME they're a Rube Goldberg device in comparison to a measuring reticle.

Iv'e heard nothing but good things about that reticle. I feel more comfortable dialing but maybe should spend more time with a BDC scope considering all the tracking failures you hear about....
Do yourself a service - get a reliable dialing scope with a measuring reticle. Makes the process easy by comparison, and I've done plenty to unnecessarily complicate it through the years.

Plenty of information out there on the models that consistently track and rtz for a lot of folks.