Scope Help on new X-bolt.

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
I have a new Browning X-bolt in 7mm RM with a 20 MOA Picatinny rail which I have mounted a Leupold VH5HD 4-20x52 scope. While bore sighting I am not able to bring the crosshairs up high enough to line up with my target. I hit the hard stop. When shooting I am 11” high at 100 yards. Looking for advise on next steps? Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What rings are you using? I have the 4-24x52 on a 20 moa rail and haven’t had any issues. I also have a 3-15x56 on a 20 moa rail, and once again no issues.

OP
I

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
What rings are you using? I have the 4-24x52 on a 20 moa rail and haven’t had any issues. I also have a 3-15x56 on a 20 moa rail, and once again no issues.

Vortex Precision Series, 1” height.

mvrk28

WKR
Just trying to understand here.

You say you can’t get the cross hairs to the target, are you turning your turret in the up or down direction? Without seeing the problem first hand I can only guess, but my guess is that you are dialing it up which sends the reticle down, when you lift to the target you are bringing the barrel up and shooting 11” high.

Dialing the turret up sends the reticle down, dialing turret down brings reticle up. You may already know this I’m just trying to interpret the issue based on what was written.

OP
I

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply’s. The rail is on correct since browning puts a bubble level on the backside of the rail.

When I look through the bore and find my bore sight target, I am unable to adjust the crosshairs up high enough before I hit the stop.

I shot the rifle today to put some rounds down the barrel and see where I am at at 100 yards. Windage was good but hitting 11” inches high.

This evening I removed the scope and rail, then mounted rail and scope ensuring everything looked good and level. Bore sighting shows same results.

Last edited:

mvrk28

WKR
so to confirm when you have the scope at zeroe you see the crosshairs below the target correct?

OP
I

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
Is it possible the zero stop isn't allowing you to bring the crosshairs up and it needs to be reset?

Thank you. I believe this is my issue. I am going to reset this and test again tomorrow.

Thanks all!!

Last edited:
Bet this is the reason. I had the same thing happen on my Xbolt 300 win mag. When I had the load developed it was zeroed at 200 yards and the zero stop set. I was told it was zeroed at 100 yards. Reset the zero stop and no issues!. I had a Burris Veracity and resetting the zero stop is not easy!!!!!

Gila

WKR
Just trying to understand here.

You say you can’t get the cross hairs to the target, are you turning your turret in the up or down direction? Without seeing the problem first hand I can only guess, but my guess is that you are dialing it up which sends the reticle down, when you lift to the target you are bringing the barrel up and shooting 11” high.

Dialing the turret up sends the reticle down, dialing turret down brings reticle up. You may already know this I’m just trying to interpret the issue based on what was written.
Sounds to me that you have applied occam’s razor correctly. I think of moving the POI down which is the down direction on the turret. Rather odd that they would set the zero stop at the factory in that way. Nice to know about that. I am getting a new scope and I plan on putting in 35 MOA of cant so I can get toward the bottom of the elevation range when bore sighting.