Scope in a Scabbard?

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I'm heading on my first elk hunt this fall and were doing a guided hunt and taking horses to the back country. The guide said that the rifles will be put in scabbards on the horses. I talked to one of the references who said he missed a nice bull because his scope got knocked around in the scabbard. He didn't know it at the time, but after the incident he went back to camp and said his scope was off by over a foot.

I have a Vortex Diamondback FFP 4-16x40 with exposed turrets (unfortunately it's not a zero stop) and I'm nervous about putting it in the scabbard and knocking the turrets around.

I plan on marking my turrets so I can check if they move, but I still am curious if there's something like a scope cover/gun sock, etc.? I've seen Outdoorsman have a velcro pad that goes over the chamber and scope.

Anyone have this issue before or have a recommendation?

I also have a rifle holder within my pack, but the guide said he doesn't like guys putting their rifle in their packs because we'll be ducking under trees as we ride in and pointing the rifle at whoever is in front of us.

Marble

WKR
Hey guys, I'm heading on my first elk hunt this fall and were doing a guided hunt and taking horses to the back country. The guide said that the rifles will be put in scabbards on the horses. I talked to one of the references who said he missed a nice bull because his scope got knocked around in the scabbard. He didn't know it at the time, but after the incident he went back to camp and said his scope was off by over a foot.

I have a Vortex Diamondback FFP 4-16x40 with exposed turrets (unfortunately it's not a zero stop) and I'm nervous about putting it in the scabbard and knocking the turrets around.

I plan on marking my turrets so I can check if they move, but I still am curious if there's something like a scope cover/gun sock, etc.? I've seen Outdoorsman have a velcro pad that goes over the chamber and scope.

Anyone have this issue before or have a recommendation?

I also have a rifle holder within my pack, but the guide said he doesn't like guys putting their rifle in their packs because we'll be ducking under trees as we ride in and pointing the rifle at whoever is in front of us.
I call bullshit on the scope being off because of the scabbard. There had to be something else going on with the rifle, cheap scope, or the guy did not really sight in his rifle. There would have to be a pretty significant rodeo to affect a scope.

I have used a scabbard for 20 years and the following are a few tips that I do.

Tape your scope caps on with electrical tape. Otherwise they will pull off when going in and out of the scabbard. Also place a few folds of toilet paper in each end in case moisture builds up during the ride.

Put your gun in a gun sock if it's going to be a long ride and your gun could rust. Just prior to putting it the scabbard, apply oil the exterior and put the sock on.

Think about how your scabbard is oriented on your horse. Facing forward or back. Whatever tour preference.

The height of the scabbard can cause some knee discomfort if positioned incorrectly. You'll have to play with it to get it right.

Scabbard goes on the right side of the horse.

If you park your horse for the day you can put your bit inside it. It'll be warmer most likely when you go to put it back in.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: WCB

Marble

WKR
There is also a cover you can put over your scope made of neoprene. Take a picture with your phone of the turrets and then check when you get off.

Wear a jacket with a hood.

Don't put your gun in your pack. It will end badly.

Ralphie

WKR
I for sure would not put the rifle in the pack while horse back. Use some tape on your scope if you have to but also get in the habit of checking it. Buy your own scabbard and take it with you to make sure you have one that fits.
And yes horses can be hard on any equipment but a lot of bad shooting is blamed on my scope was off or similar.

WCB

WKR
never had a client scope issue while guiding. I also carried a rifle while guiding as a back up and it was on the horse the entire season no issue. Unless a horse takes a fall on the gun or tumbles down the mountain I would not worry about it. Take your gun out of the scabbard whenever you are off your horse for an extended amount of time (taking a pee etc just leave it).

As others have stated...Tape the turrets or mark them really well and check them often so they don't come off.

You can get a neoprene scope cover fairly cheap I recommend them in general.

Tape the end of the barrel (good advice anytime but even more so when you are sticking your barrel down into something.

Oil the outside pretty well it will help keep the moisture at bay for your hunt.

Absolutely DO NOT have your firearm on you when riding for the exact reason the guide said. In fact word of advice if you are going guided shrink your pack as small as possible. Ask the guide or outfitter what the guide carries. If you were with me You basically need water, lunch, headlamp, extra ammo. maybe a extra layer of clothes. ZERO reason to have a large hunting pack stuffed full.

A small waste style pack with shoulder straps works great and what I guided with. Large packs are uncomfortable on horses.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
This is really great stuff guys. I'm glad I asked. I like the tape ideas, both on the turrets and the barrel.

Can you explain more about oiling the gun? Is that oiling the chamber, barrel, action, all the above? Also, just for curiosity, why oil the gun?

rayporter

WKR
the leather will rub off all lubricant and rust is a real possibility.

blued rifles need wiped down daily or they will rust.

if there is a lining in the scabbard it will hold moisture.

tape is your friend.

I rode last fall with my saddle gun in a scabbard 3-10 hours a day for 30 days straight, pulled gun in and out every time I stopped and even got bucked off twice on my green horse and watched her slam my scabbard on a tree. Shot a bear at 400 yards last day with 0 problems.

I’ve packed hunters in and had the same “well it was the scabbard that messed up my gun” 9/10 times it’s shooter error. Not properly adjusting for distance, buck fever, can’t control breathing, didn’t properly sight for elevation, cold barrel shots. Yes I’ve been blamed that the scabbard on the horse caused it but maybe 1/10 is actually scabbard/horse error.

DO NOT pack a rifle on your pack on the horse 1. You cannot ride correctly with a pack on your back, I’ve ridden 30’years and a 20 Lb pack throws me off 2. You hook that rifle on a branch ur coming off 3. Your pack can rest on the horses butt and cause sores

If you’re that concerned tape ur turrets, buy your own scabbard, or walk in with your rifle on your back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
This is really great stuff guys. I'm glad I asked. I like the tape ideas, both on the turrets and the barrel.

Can you explain more about oiling the gun? Is that oiling the chamber, barrel, action, all the above? Also, just for curiosity, why oil the gun?
oil the outside if blued or something that rusts fairly easy. Also as mentioned above if needed wipe your gun down at night. If it is dry no need to worry but snow, rain, humid wipe down once daily and add oil externally. There are wipes that have oil infused in them. Throw one in your bag in a zip loc. Hit it with a quick dry towel rub then wipe with the oil cloth.

We used leather and cordura (felt lined) scabbards with no issues. Of course after the clients pulled their rifles out for the night I also pulled the scabbards off and hung them in the wall tent over night to eliminate and moisture if had rained or snowed that day.

Samson7x

WKR
I went with a family member who was using a Sig tango scope and his turret actually broke off from riding in a scabbard. Luckily it happened on the pack out. I was using an AMG and did not have any issues.

There are some great suggestions here. I have in the past, had years of use, carrying my rifle in a scabbard on one of my horses; from day trips to multi day trips of up to 2 weeks without an issue. If I had had an issue, I would be looking at the quality/durability of the scope being the issue, not it being carried in a scabbard. Unfortunately, you have a scope that has a reputation for not being the most durable. So all the precautions listed in the above posts may be important. It is not being transported in a scabbard that is the issue, it is all the potential impacts that might occur during it's travel in the scabbard. Hopefully the rifle will be in a scabbard of the horse you are riding and you will have some degree of ability to limit/eliminate any potential impacts the scope might take. On the good side, your scope has the best warranty in the industry.

Reactions: WCB
I use CorrosionX on my guns; it is designed for use in marine environments and exceptionally effective.

All of the above. Even stainless steel can rust in a marine environment. However, I am on the side of not cleaning my barrels until accuracy drops, so my barrels do not get an interior swabbing; my hunting rifles are stainless.

Lots of outfitters use leather scabbards. No padding at all and stiff. Can be a tight fit with scopes too. Do yourself a favor and buy a Trailmax scabbard to take. It’s a cheap insurance policy on a not so cheap hunt. They have a handle too so you can use it as a soft case for transporting at home or to a range. Outfitter Supply has them.

I use a Remington rifle with a long barrel and a 50mm scope with big long range turrets and I have never had a problem. Had that scabbard for 20 years too.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
The trailmax scabbard is what we primarily use. They work well.

Buckles break and a few straps over the years, but the zippers have all held up. Worth the money.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a specific kind of tape? I'm guessing electrical tape for the turrets and for the barrel?