Scope magnification?

Goodchad

FNG
This is my first experence in long range shooting. I am searching for a scope for a new Rem 700P that I will be shooting most of the time 200-500 yards. I want to become proficient to 800 yards and will undoubtedly want to experiment to 1000 yards. My budget is about 1300 for scope, base and rings.

I would love to look at Nightforce, but can't afford to go there. I have been leaning toward Leupold Mark 4s in the 3.5-10x40, 4.5-14x50, or the 6.5-20x50, in mil-dot. My preference is the 3.5-10x40, but I am concernd about having enough magnification for my 55 year old eyes? I don't need to shoot .25 MOA at 1k (I couldn't anyway) but I want capable equipment. I chose mil-dot because I want to learn the system.

Any advice will be appreciated.

mthayr

WKR
If you can stretch your budget a little further, Euro Optic has like new demo units of the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 in a couple reticles in the $1500-1700 range. A set of Hawkins Precision rings would run you about $150 from Brownells or another dealer. Gets you almost all of the range you were looking at between all three of your noted scopes, and I can attest to the clarity of the glass in the Mark 5HD.

Macintosh

WKR
Im not hunting at 1000 yards, not even close, but for practicing on steel My 50 yr old eyes have an awfully hard time past 600 or 700yds on 10x. Doable but frustrating for me. I would prefer 15-18x at that range. I also Like having a bit of magnification in the back pocket, ie settle in and find the target at 12-15x and then be able to zoom in a bit when it makes sense. To me its nice to have your working magnification somewhere in the middle of the range, ie if you will be at 12x a lot then maybe consider 15-18x scope. You dont always have to be at max zoom.

Rob5589

WKR
I preferred 16-20x for 1000 yds, heat and mirage dependent. For your budget, a used Bushnell 3.5-21 with mildot is a solid choice. I've seen them for 800ish.

Blue72

WKR
They say 1x per 100 yards and 2x for precision work

with that said I’ve seen a few people do amazing shooting to 1000 yards with the popular SWFA 10x fixed magnification scope

even PRS shooters use relatively low magnification when actually shooting

I’ve been impressed with the Nightforce SHV that I’ve seen/shot compared to my NXS and NX8. The 3-10 or 4-16 should be in your price range.

The SHV 4-16 F1 with illumination will probably be my next scope for an AR that Ive been wanting to switch up.

Maven has a good line of scopes, I like my RS.1 and it can do what you are looking to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
$1300, didn't see weight preference....

BLJ

WKR
I have personally had very good luck with Athlon (Midas Tac and Argos), Vortex Pro series rings, and EGW canted bases. I would agree that 15x-18x should get you to 1k, but it is nice to have a lkttle more on top for sure.
Like you, I have had bad eyes for years. Either glasses or contacts forever it seems like. When I was scope shopping, reticle and clarity were big for me. Ended up with the Midas Tac. I looked through every scope I could before deciding. I found that it worked for me and my eyes the best. What works for you and what works for someone else are going to different. Look through as many as you can.
I will also mention that having everything on your rifle setup for you to be comfortable will make your experience a lot better. If you can't fall asleep on the gun, it doesn't fit you well enough. IMO. Hope this helps.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
I'm stuck in the magnification limbo myself. I cant make up my mind on whether a x10 will be enough for me. I know everyone says x10 is enough for 600 yrd shot and below but I personally haven't been able to range that far with a x10 power scope. It seems like magnification is a personal preference kind of like reticles. Just when I thought I narrowed down my choices I go down this rabbit hole. I would hate to blow all this cash on a scope that would leave me wanting more power. Wish I could find a 3x12 with a good reticle and durability, Trijicon makes a 2.5-12 and is almost perfect but the only gripe is the non exposed elevation turret.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Zeiss MOAi-1 simple tic marks with not a bunch of random windage marks and dots everywhere. I don't like the Christmas tree reticles, just too busy for me. I know BDC reticles are looked down on but a simple crosshair with some reference points would be ideal for me. I know a few manufactures make a simple Zplex style crosshair but I would like little bit more than that.

The accuapoint has a reticle that isn't bad and the credo HX 3-15 has an ok reticle just iffy on the magnification and the whole reticles illuminating.

BLJ

WKR
For something like that I always thought the Leupold Wind Plex it TMOA wouldn’t be bad. I think the VX5 or VX6 would get you a 3-15 or 18 or 2-12.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
I was trying to stay on the lower magnification range 2-12 would be awesome, i checked their website and seems to be out of stock. I can do a little more snooping around online I just get Mil discount through their website. Thank you for the suggestions

BLJ

WKR

I have the 4-20 with illuminated dot on a 5.56 bolt gun. It’s been absolutely solid for me. I’ll put the 2-12 with the illuminated dot on my 308 before next season.

Is this solely a target rifle, or will you be hunting with it as well?

I’d second the LRHS2 from GAP. Great all-purpose scope for the money, especially if you aren’t worried about weight. Most probably won’t love the reticle for just target shooting, but the donut makes it great for crossover use. I’d follow @sndmn11’s list for a killer setup on a budget.

SDHNTR

WKR
Zeiss V6 3-18x50. You can find them barely used for your budget, or a Redhawk demo for just slightly more. Best hunter scope in the price range IMO.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve never needed or wanted more than 10x but I’m not a long range hunter and I don’t really ever shoot past 500yds.

Jasent

FNG
Nx8 2.5-20-50
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Jmo

Steel targets tend to be oversized so you can get away with less magnification. Don’t need super reliability either since if a scope fails, it’s an inconvenience. Well, my life won’t end if a scope craps out at the range; others’ may feel differently.

For shooting animals, magnification would be dependent upon animal size. For example, you’d need less magnification for an elk than you would a much smaller animals such as a Coues at the same distance.

BBob

WKR
As I’ve gotten older I prefer a bit more magnification and at a minimum I’ll go for 18x. I have several LRHS’s at 18x. I have some March at 24x and love them at 24x when the air allows for it. And yeah for Coues deer more magnification at times is very useful especially on a hidden bedded buck. I’ve had people not able to kill them because they can’t see them hidden in their bed and you have to wait forever for them to get up.