scope mount/bases ideas

BuckSnort

WKR
My dad is building a 6.5 Grendel (AR platform) we are looking to top it with a Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HST (30mm tube)

Looking for the best way to mount this?

How far do you want to shoot?

For an inexpensive lightweight setup that'll set yourself up for proper eye relief I'd go with an aero precision mount. Some guys say they are weak at the hinge but the 3 or 4 I've had have been yardsailes off trucks, down hills, bounced on 4 wheelers and not treated nicely and havent had an issue

The adm 20 moa rail is the cats ass. Mine would reattach within 1/2moa every time. Bit heavier and a bit more money.

Not sold on larues qd locking system. Supposedly chews rails.

The 4-16 hst is pretty weak sauce up into the 13-16x range so plan accordingly.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I used the Larue LT-104 QD with 30mm scope on a few of my AR's and RPR. Had perfect height and you could adjust eye relief easily on the rail. Had no issues with it chewing the rails.

I will say though that I had the Vortex HSLR 4-16 and it was lacking in every way, and as mentioned above.....the higher power you go up, the worse it gets.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Mostly 600 yards or less but want to be able to stretch it out to 1000 yards... I put the 4-16 Viper HST on my wifes 30-06 and really like it, is there a better scope in the $600 range?

Rolando

FNG
The $150 sale price on the Larue LT104 is hard to beat. That said, there's no way I'd want a SFP 16x scope.
ETA: Sale is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have some adm mounts that are great. I would go with the super sniper straight 10x. Awesome bombproof scope for the money.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
I've got tons of Larue and ADM mounts, been using both for years, they seem to work equally well.

You can use a SFP scope but remember the ranging elements in the reticle will only work at one magnification. You don't need more than 10x to get to 1,000 yards. I'd get a more expensive lower powered scope so you'll have good resolution at those distances. Good glass at medium magnification beats mid-range glass at high magnification.

Msowa

Lil-Rokslider
Warne one piece cantilever mounts are pretty damn good for the price. QD style are over kill for most folks, get one if you need to remove the scope cause the combo wont fit into a hard case or will be screwing around moving it to other AR's. The cantilever aspect doesn't need to be the extended cantilever style, but it'll allow you to mount to the upper receiver picatinny rail only and not have to bridge onto the hand guard; and therefor you'll get the eye relief needed. You can typically get away with rings (AR High/1.5" high) on large frame AR's due to the amount of pic rail available and still get the proper eye relief, if that makes sense. Good luck, the Grendel is a lot of fun to train for distance shooting. Matt in CdA