Scope mounting advise

I have a Remington 700 long action with a trijicon 3x9x40 accupoint scope with Talley extended lows.
The scope is ok when i shoulder it at 3 and 6 power but needs to come back just a touch on 9 power to get a good focus.The problem is it just touches the 3x9 adjusting ring but turns fine,the front base has just enough room to slide a peice of paper between it and were the bell tapers.Even if i go to medium height which is a 1/8 taller i can only move the scope back about a 1/8 before it hits the objective.
Maybe a leupold dual dovetail might be a better option,i think they make one that sits closer to the action opening at the front or the medium talleys.

Attachments

• FA02C655-3357-44E1-BC7B-DBC5CEB8EE90.jpeg
    FA02C655-3357-44E1-BC7B-DBC5CEB8EE90.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
OP
C
Close but everything clears.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 23

Rock-o

WKR
Close but everything clears.
When static.

Somewhere there's a slow-motion [Youtube] video of a rifle scope flexing (or maybe it's the mount???), just like a barrel, during recoil. I saw it very recently either on this site or that site where people Hide.

Here's a couple to check out.

Last edited:

HawkinsPrecision

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
You definitely trim weight going with a direct mount ring, like our Long Range Hybrids. However, a pic rail and rings do offer more mounting flexibility. If the application calls for it.

Between the somewhat short eye relief of the Trijicon and your length of pull, plus the long action, that’s going to be about as far back as you’re going to get without going to a rail. I have multiples of this same scope and tried a number of different ways before giving up and going with a scope with a longer tube and more eye relief for those particular rifles.

My latest is trying to mount one on a Forbes 24b and NULA Model 28, If anyone made an extended front ring for those rifles, I’d be golden, but unfortunately nobody does. Had to go with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 which works out great.

Maybe someone else has something they have tried which works, but I have tried a number of different ways and can’t get mine to work on Remington long actions, and I am not a fan of rails for either the extra height or weight.

Hopefully you’ll find something which works or will have to use your scope at or below 6x, like I did with mine. Good luck.

Rytanfos

FNG
Pic base and rings
Agreed, you save on weight and possible money on direct mount but, for me, you can’t put a price on the confidence that everything will stay where it’s supposed to with pic base and rings

OP
C
Did some file work and could do more if needed and it even looks good.Im ok with the eye relief as its good at 3&6 and almost at 9.Scope to barrel is 1/8 inch and scope bell to front of base is .022-.024 with 0.25 snug.I would think if scope ever moved .022-.024 and hit the front of base I probably have bigger issues ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 15