Scope Mounting & Leveling How To Video Posted

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just posted a how to video on scope mounting and leveling. I used XTreme Hardcore Gear - Force Recon Tactical Scope rings with a built in level. Really nice set of rings.

Enjoy![video=vimeo;89107826]https://vimeo.com/89107826[/video]

Coop

KMD

Banned
Did you check the base on how it fits the action to see if you should bed the base?

Great point.

I would check base & bed, as needed. With the tolerances of today's factory rifles and different rails on the market, it is almost dumb luck that there is a perfect fit out of the box.

The last thing you want to do is torque down a base that isn't perfectly flush with the action! That is inducing all kinds of stress into your setup, and may be why a set of otherwise solid rings appear to need 'lapping'. When in fact, the rings are true, the base is true, but the action/base interaction is not perfect. So, when torquing down an unbedded rail/base, it might actually be bending to fit the action, no bueno!!! And with that subsequent bent rail, snugging down the rings could result in uneven pressure on your scope's main tube, resulting in binding or damage to the internals...

Check & bed your rail/base, definitely worth the effort!

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good point on bedding the rail - I was mounting this all temporarily as the rifle is tore down right now getting action blueprinted and a new barrel installed. That's also why I didn't use a thread locking compound (blue loc-tite is my preference) on any of the screws.

I'll add a video on bedding the rail once I get her back.

Also should have made a point about sliding the rings forward to engage the slots in the pic rail before tightening them into the rail.

Thanks for the comments!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I checked with Darin and thought I would post my base bedding video. Pardon the music, it was free...

[video=youtube;Nv5KCXchSgY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv5KCXchSgY[/video]

I received a lot of comments in Youtube land on how much I got wrong with my method, so to address a couple of concerns:

1. Many people prefer to bed one pad before the other. I do it the way in the video, to preserve the cant of the base as much as possible.

2. When I start to tighten the rear screw the front lifts a little. Some people think this shows the rail will arc when the front is tightened. In reality the front lifts because some putty on the rear is dense enough to act like a bit of a fulcrum.

3. I have done this on several rifles, and always checked with a machinist level after the curing time, and all the bases have come out level and true.

This is the way I do it. There are other ways.