Scope mounting to maintain zero

I'd add in there to ensure you have a level mounted to the rifle and then hang a plumb line at 50 to 100 yards or use a level and draw a + and align your reticle to the plumb line or leveled +. As you torque ring screws ensure you do 1/8 turns and alternate like a tire, or you will torque the reticle so it is not level. Just pray they drilled and taped those mounting screws straight on the receiver. I've seen that too

What are your favorite mil hunting scopes? I've been looking for something mil based for my new tikka project but wanted to keep it as light as possible. With that in mind I was looking for 1" scopes but the only scopes I keep finding are a couple of 3-9 trijicon scopes and I've not had a ton of great luck with optics from them in the past.

Granted this is a brush gun with ~19in barrel so I'm half tempted to just go with a capped turret style scope and a standard reticle and not worry about wind or elevation at the distances I intend to use this at.

lak2004

WKR
What are your favorite mil hunting scopes? I've been looking for something mil based for my new tikka project but wanted to keep it as light as possible. With that in mind I was looking for 1" scopes but the only scopes I keep finding are a couple of 3-9 trijicon scopes and I've not had a ton of great luck with optics from them in the past.

Granted this is a brush gun with ~19in barrel so I'm half tempted to just go with a capped turret style scope and a standard reticle and not worry about wind or elevation at the distances I intend to use this at.
Why not go with a fixed power? 6x swfa or maybe the light 2-8 power?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Why not go with a fixed power? 6x swfa or maybe the light 2-8 power?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
The 6x swfa is a tad chunky at 20oz and I already purchased a 1" direct mount. Is there a light 2-8 or did you mean the 2.5-10. This one has my attention other than backordered but is MOA only.

Savage99

WKR
The 6x swfa is a tad chunky at 20oz and I already purchased a 1" direct mount. Is there a light 2-8 or did you mean the 2.5-10. This one has my attention other than backordered but is MOA only.

C’mon man, it’s “big boned”.. that’s a good point of weight is a concern. That extra 6-8 oz could be the difference in durability though. A potential trade off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Good idea on the nail polish, good quick check to make sure nothing has came loose

Retumbo

FNG
Given the choice I'm always going NF Ultra Light lows because I trust what NF puts their name on, but truthfully any good pic ring will do. Warne Mountian Techs, Seekins, ARC, etc.

Any additions to this list since you posted it in 2017? These are all>$140 and was hoping there was a less expensive solution.

I may be mistaken, but I thought I remembered reading in an old post that you had Burris Tac rings on one of your rifles?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Any additions to this list since you posted it in 2017? These are all>$140 and was hoping there was a less expensive solution.

I may be mistaken, but I thought I remembered reading in an old post that you had Burris Tac rings on one of your rifles?

I do have a couple of the Burris Tac rings.

Any good pic seems fine. Lately a few of us have been using the Sportsmatch pic rings. They’ve been fine so far.

KEK-L579

FNG
First off wanted to thank you guys for all this good info, I've read through the entire 77gr TMK thread and countless others. Hard to believe all this information is in one place an is free, but I'll take it.

I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best mounts for an older Sako that has the tapered dove tail? I've always just used what ever bases/rings would get me low enough for a good cheek weld. After reading this thread and and a bunch of Forms reviews I'm thinking I should opt for something much more sturdy.