Scope Mounts... Which ones?

Craig4791

WKR
Picked up my new gun today and the scope will be here next week so now i need to get a good set of mounts coming for it.

What do you guys recommend? Looking for something quality that still fits in the lightweight range.

Scope is a Swarovski Z3 and rifle is a Kimber Montana.

Thanks

Wrongside

WKR
S&K rings and bases are nice on a Kimber, or any other light rifle. Sleek and light, but with the strength of steel.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
S&K's or Leupold DD's for sure. The weight savings Talley lightweights give you are not worth it IMO. On my rifles I want 100% dependability from my components. I have had Talley lightweight rings fail and I know others that have had the same issue.

These rings were mounted and lapped by a very well known gunsmith on my 300SAUM Rem Ti, and no, they were not mounted improperly or over tightened.
As I mentioned, I know others that have had this same issue, so IMO it is not worth the tiny amount of weight savings. Issues like this "could" ruin a shot on a trophy animal. The crack is bigger than it appears in the picture.

IMG_1286.jpg

These are my favorites now. Light, clean looking, no stress on the scope tube, strong and simple.

IMG_2038.jpg

RicksCamera307.jpg

I am giving you my experiences and I wont get into this argument again as I have before and it goes nowhere. For some reason when you speak of Talley rings failing some folks get offended. I had good luck with Talley LW's rings(owned 10-12 sets) up until the above picture was taken and chose not to use them anymore after that. I still use Talley steel split rings on some of my rifles and love them for those applications.

Good luck and IMO choose wisely :cool:

Last edited:
OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
S&K's or Leupold DD's for sure. The weight savings Talley lightweights give you are not worth it IMO. On my rifles I want 100% dependability from my components. I have had Talley lightweight rings fail and I know others that have had the same issue.

These rings were mounted and lapped by a very well known gunsmith on my 300SAUM Rem Ti, and no, they were not mounted improperly or over tightened.
As I mentioned, I know others that have had this same issue, so IMO it is not worth the tiny amount of weight savings. Issues like this "could" ruin a shot on a trophy animal. The crack is bigger than it appears in the picture.

IMG_1286.jpg

These are my favorites now. Light, clean looking, no stress on the scope tube, strong and simple.

IMG_2038.jpg

RicksCamera307.jpg

I am giving you my experiences and I wont get into this argument again as I have before and it goes nowhere. For some reason when you speak of Talley rings failing some folks get offended. I had good luck with Talley LW's rings(owned 10-12 sets) up until the above picture was taken and chose not to use them anymore after that. I still use Talley steel split rings on some of my rifles and love them for those applications.

Good luck and IMO choose wisely :cool:

Which mounts and rings are those on your kimber?

Shrek

WKR
I'm using Burris Signature Select rings with the inserts. No need to lap rings , almost impossible to warp the tube , and never leave ring marks. I've never had them shift or any other problems.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! I have never seen the Talley's do that. Maybe not the best choice.

I have also seen the Leupold dovetail rings break but that was on a 30-378 with a VX3 6.5-20x50, so heavy scope and very heavy recoil.

Base n Rings are one area in my opinion where I'll carry an extra 1-3 ounces. I run Seekins Precision on our rifles, they are 1 piece 20 MOA bases and the rings are beefcake as well. Base weighs in at a wopping 2 ounces and the rings combined are 4 ounces. And these are for some of the beefiest rings (and most expensive!) on the market... They are machined as a single unit and have never required any lapping whatsoever. You won't find nicer ones though and the last thing I want to worry about is not having confidence in my optics staying zero'd. For cheaper options I've really enjoyed the Warne products, they seem really nicely built.

Mike

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Base n Rings are one area in my opinion where I'll carry an extra 1-3 ounces. I run Seekins Precision on our rifles, they are 1 piece 20 MOA bases and the rings are beefcake as well. Base weighs in at a wopping 2 ounces and the rings combined are 4 ounces. And these are for some of the beefiest rings (and most expensive!) on the market... They are machined as a single unit and have never required any lapping whatsoever. You won't find nicer ones though and the last thing I want to worry about is not having confidence in my optics staying zero'd. For cheaper options I've really enjoyed the Warne products, they seem really nicely built.

Mike

These look nice as well.

Mike do you carry any of them to sell? They look to be out of stock on their website.

I don't think I have any 1" rings in stock... and Seekins doesn't make Bases for Kimber far as I know. Got an email in with Seekins to see what I can get for you though!

Mike

Shrek

WKR
Again I will mention the Burris Signature rings. If you look at the rings you can see the synthetic inserts. No lapping , no warped tubes, absorbs some vibration , I have never had them slip. Very solid and forgiving rings.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364508933479.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364508933479.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 54
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364508967700.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364508967700.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 51
OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Again I will mention the Burris Signature rings. If you look at the rings you can see the synthetic inserts. No lapping , no warped tubes, absorbs some vibration , I have never had them slip. Very solid and forgiving rings.

I don't see that they make bases for a Kimber Dave, they look nice though.

Let me know if i just overlooked it.

Shrek

WKR
They make them in weaver style which fit any weaver style base. I haven't tried but I think the turn in will fit any other turn in type base also but not 100% positive on that.

Shrek

WKR
I asked on longrange hunting and I think I have used Leopold dual dovetail bases with burris dovetail rings. Not universal fit but I think that combo works. The warne and Tally steel mounts are fine mounts also.
Double checked and the Leopold double dovetail bases for the kimbers will fit the burris signiture rings.

Last edited:

idig4au

WKR
I run Seekins Alloy or Murphy Precision on latest my builds now. The later are machined from titanium, so they are not the cheapest, but they are a work of art from a machining standpoint and among the highest quality you can find out there. The tolerances are amazing and Cameron is easy to work with.

I've had issues with Leupolds, no confidence with them now and I'll never buy another set...not even for a .22! I've had some issues with Talley LW's on some high recoil rifles, but great success with them on the lighter calibers.