Scope my 223 - which fixed power?

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to scope a bolt action 223. Main use is coyote hunting and fun at the range. Throw some prairie dogs into the mix as well, occasionally.

I’d like to stay under $400, and I am seriously considering picking up an SWFA fixed power scope when I can find a decent deal.

What would you recommend? The 6x or 10x?

I am a fan of lower powered scopes for big game. But 6X is a handicap for prairie dogs. I’d much rather have a used 3.5-10x40 Leupold for less than $400 than a fixed 6X. 6X is fine for coyotes.

For a very decent inexpensive scope, a Burris Fullfield 3-4x40 with the Ballistic Plex reticule is hard to beat (dots out to 500 for coyotes and PDs). Half of your $400 should get you a new one. Buy ammo or components when they are available with the other half.

Not the answer you wanted but very practical scopes unless you think you have to dial.

Not explicitly helpful but I have a 223 bolt gun wearing a fairly cheap Nikon ar scope. Under $300 I think, but not made anymore. I do see them on eBay pretty cheap. It does fine out to 200 yard and has tagged plenty of ground hogs. For a gun I wouldn’t shoot at anything bigger than a coyote at 200-300 yards, it is plenty of glass for me. Just my $0.02 but it is easy to overscope something that is honestly never going to shoot all that far.

TheGDog

WKR
Why limit yourself to fixed for a .223? And with a variable you can handle a variation in terrain types. Low power when doing sets in thicker places. Also... as things get darker towards last light, if you need to you can keep going down in Magnification to scavenge for what little light remains. Can't do that with a fixed. Lowering your magnification increases your exit pupil size to help you potentially cash-in on those last last minutes of possible light before it gets just too dark to see at all.

If you're ever going for little things at greater than 100yd, you'll appreciate the extra magnification.

TxxAgg

WKR
Why limit yourself to fixed for a .223? And with a variable you can handle a variation in terrain types. Low power when doing sets in thicker places. Also... as things get darker towards last light, if you need to you can keep going down in Magnification to scavenge for what little light remains. Can't do that with a fixed. Lowering your magnification increases your exit pupil size to help you potentially cash-in on those last last minutes of possible light before it gets just too dark to see at all.

If you're ever going for little things at greater than 100yd, you'll appreciate the extra magnification.
Meh. Sometimes less is more. A fixed 6 is cheap and plenty out to 300 yds or more. Most guys (me included) rarely shoot game past that in reality. I can't remember the last time I took a shot over 200 yds. If he wants to dial, the swfa handles that.

OP
D

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all - my only reason for limiting myself to fixed power is because of the great reputation of SWFA scopes for durability and reliability when it comes to dialing. A 3-9 SWFA is not in my budget right now, otherwise I think it would be perfect.