Scope opinion/thought/help-Vortex Strike or Athlon Argos

Buck197

WKR
Hi folks, Ive finally jumped.the bandwagon and bought a T3 lite in .308. I hunt everything from whitetail, muleys, elk, Antelope, 2 legged deer(bitches are expensive!!)and such. Anyways, I was eyeballing trying my first Athlon, and while I know the Midas Tac seems to be the suggestion, or Ares for them I thought id try them with an Argos, and I came across a price on a Vortex Strike eagle in either 3-18, or 4-24 power for like 350...actually a ten buck difference between the powers. Yall have forgotten more than I will know on the quality scope game...so which is the better option, I think the Vortex are mil dot. Id say shots to 5, maybe 600, but thatd be the extreme,mostly inside of 300.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Great question! That is a pretty good price on the old Strike Eagles! While it is a great optic, it wouldn't be my first choice for hunting. Did you have a price range you were looking at for an optic?

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
Trying to thinking how to answer, explain.. I can flex some on price range, or even hold if need be. Ive had alot of guns through the years, every xmas I had a brand new Browning box sitting in the corner waiting on me while growing up. Im fifty now, and ive never owned a real high end optic, I need to reallymale an optic investment in a few guns, binos, and a new spotter. Heck growing up I saw mote bushnells in my neck of the woods than you can shake a stick at.
So while I absolutely know I need to invest in optics, probably the old Leo vari x 3s, and a burris or two are as good as ive ever had. So I am nervous, I guess thats the choice of words, to drop 1500 on a scope etc, so was thinking id play a little bit with maybe an Athlon and kind of see what I am getting. Heck ive never had an issue getting it done with the scopes I had, but my eyes sure arent what they once were..so ive been stalking Rokslide, and trying to figure which way to go...my daddy would roll.over in his grave if I dropped the caah on swaros!! Sorry, im always long winded, but thank you.

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
Let me add, weight is a factor..alot of the newer technology stuff, I have to sit and figure it out, I am a believer in simplicity. I know.back in the nineties, it was all about the objective and everyone qanted a big 50mm bell, I kind of figure a 40 or so is just fine, ive rrad alot of yalls swfa fixed power stuff, lord I havent hunted w a fixed, and I guess im more and more set in my ways, so variable power. I get a bit nervous when I hear folks talk of a 6- whatever, just because ive harvested more animals on the lower side of power...the bread and butter in heavy timber. Trying to think, Im kind of figuring a bdc style reticle, but when its said and done I can roll.with a good ole set of crosshairs..Im not.overly concerned with the upper side of power, havent found a whole lot of need for even the 9x power..There is a place not to far up the road, an hour or so, that has a Zeiss z3 I think, not to familiar with their lines, but its a 3-9 for like 7bills I think, open box.

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks
Thank you Doug, I called yall on Monday, you were on the phone I think. That was before I found this strike eagle still on sale. I didnt know much about Athlon until the past few days, and am impressed with what ive read on them. Im not a big fan of the strike eagle in so far as yhe exposed turrets, my girlfriends son bought one at this price a couple months ago, so ive looked through it just a little, glass seems just fine to me. Its a little heavier, well his is, than I like, not my favorite reticle, but at that price I could probably make it work. Just sort of I guess wanting someone to tell me im a fool dont buy, or buy it, and make it work. Your guy gave me a good price on the, I believe Ares 2.5-15x BTR I believe, it was a hundred or so higher than this one plus shipping id presume. So weighing options sir. Ive looked yalls website over and hear.amazing things from folks posting that have done business, they say your the man basically!!

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks, we try to provide quality customer service. If you call and I'm tied up Neil is excellent. If you'd like to try again I am in till 6 today

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
Well, thanks yall. Pulled the trigger on viper, I know theyre not what they were, but Scheels had a pretty good deal on them so went ahead, couldnt pass it. Thank yall.

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
What viper did you go with on the t3x super lite?
I did what alot wouldnt, haha. 4-12, keeps the weight down, im not that up on things but figured for that money who cares...and 12 power covers me out to 600 just fine, and thats a rare rare shot..

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
I did what alot wouldnt, haha. 4-12, keeps the weight down, im not that up on things but figured for that money who cares...and 12 power covers me out to 600 just fine, and thats a rare rare shot..
12x is enough. I have a 2-12 leupy with paralax adjusted further out and it is good to 800+. Light versatile and awesome up close too.