Scope Opinions Needed (Zeiss V4 - Swaro Z5 - Leupold VX5)

Hey everyone, like the title says I’m currently deciding on a new scope for my new rifle, it’s a Tikka superlite in 300 wsm. Use will be Western elk/muley and Eastern Whitetail. I live in the Midwest and primarily archery hunt my home state, so will likely be used equally for elk/muley/whitetail.

Im deciding between the below models, price is a factor but between some discounts I may be able to get, the low-high spread is maybe $350-$400 between all 3, a consideration but not if one is a very clear winner from a performance standpoint.

Zeiss conquest V4, 4-16x44 (22.6 oz)
Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 (15.9 oz)
Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44 (19.9 oz)

I have a Vortex LH HD on another rifle and while it’s a great scope, I want to try something different for this rifle.

Looking for any objective advice or opinions based on actual experience with these particular scopes, not necessarily looking for a brand vs brand discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you plan on dialing with the scope take the Z5 off your list. A forum or Google search will turn up many cases of them not tracking reliably, or returning to zero. I had one and that was my experience. If you are just going to use it without dialing you can leave it on your list.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not looked through the Zeiss but it has great reviews.

I had a Z5 and loved the glass; to my eyes better than the VX5/6 HD. While it was on a 6.5 CM, I did not have any issues with dialing. I did have an issue with setting the zero stop (BT) and losing the ability to dial more than 13.25 MOA of elevation. Because of this I wound up selling the scope for a song.

I have two VX5HDs and one VX6HD. My VX6HD is on a T3X in 300 WM. No issues at all with the scope and it gets taken to 1000 yards on a somewhat regular basis. One VX5HD is on a T3X in 6.5 CM and the other is on Savage 110 Storm in 6.5 CM. Both have been issue free. Both get taken to 1000 yards more often than my 300 WM.

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also currently debating between tbe above V4 and VX5hd for my 300wm. Interested to see what others suggestions/experiences are with both.

SDHNTR

WKR
My Z5 works great. But I was cautioned by the dealer (one of the biggest in the US) to not overtighten the rings as you will pinch the erector tube. That scope is so light because the body is thinner material. I love mine. If you value light weight and are primarily a hunter but want the ability to occasionally dial, it’s a great choice. Probably not the best for a range rat that’s going to be constantly cranking.

If you want to dial more regularly the Zeiss is the best choice of the ones you listed.

If you want a 700 yd (max) lightweight hunting rifle, they work great. If you want to shoot beyond that at all, look elsewhere. Even then you're looking at a dial from Swarovski or Outdoorsmans to get full travel.

The turret on those scopes is 1/4"@100 yds, not 1/4 MOA. I'd make sure that any tracking errors aren't stemming from that, and make sure that your calculator will give you "Inches @ 100 yds" if you want to dial the turret all the way out.

The other thing (personally encountered) is that the range of adjustment on Swarovski scopes is tight. I had to get 20 MOA Talley rings to get full travel in my Z8i 2-16x50 turret for my Ridgeline.

Other than that, the Z5 is a bright, light scope in a good power band. It's not a target scope by any means though.