Scope options for a single action Ruger?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm wondering what my options are for mounting a scope on a single action Ruger revolver, I have a super blackhawk 44 mag and I've sort of got an itch to maybe try to do some hunting with it next year. I've never done any handgun hunting but once on a deer about 25 years ago so I'm really out of the loop on this one.

I figured there are probably a few guys here who do this or have done it, I just don't know where to start.

Also, who makes holsters for such monstrosities??? (scoped revolvers with ~6-8" barrels).

Thank you!!!

Wapiti1

WKR
Couple of options. First, if you have a stock revolver, you'll have to make a decision. Go with a no drill mount or get it drilled and tapped. Both work. Drilling and tapping is the long term better method. To try it out, no-drill will work. Just check the screws occasionally.

Weigand makes both styles and I like their mounts.

Scope selection is getting kind of limited. A 2X is good on a .44, or a red dot may be enough. I would just stick to Burris for a scope. Or find a Bushnell or Weaver 2-6. I have a couple of Bushnell's and they have served me well. I have a 3X Burris on my .500 Smith and it is perfect on there.

Jeremy

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Couple of options. First, if you have a stock revolver, you'll have to make a decision. Go with a no drill mount or get it drilled and tapped. Both work. Drilling and tapping is the long term better method. To try it out, no-drill will work. Just check the screws occasionally.

Weigand makes both styles and I like their mounts.

Scope selection is getting kind of limited. A 2X is good on a .44, or a red dot may be enough. I would just stick to Burris for a scope. Or find a Bushnell or Weaver 2-6. I have a couple of Bushnell's and they have served me well. I have a 3X Burris on my .500 Smith and it is perfect on there.

Jeremy

Thank you! I read the weigh and can scratch up the gun, do you have any experience with that?

Wapiti1

WKR
Thank you! I read the weigh and can scratch up the gun, do you have any experience with that?
Yes. All of the no drill mounts can scratch the barrel where they clamp. If installed correctly the first time, it is minimal or non-existent. The guys that fiddle with them constantly or don't torque them correctly (they crank them down needlessly) do the most harm. I have seen people put electrical and foil duct tape under the set screws. Not sure how it worked. The set screws are brass and can't do much harm.

The Weaver is a good mount as well. Their yoke clamps solid and you have to make sure it is clean or it will scratch the barrel. Over time I've heard the yoke can wear on the finish as well. I haven't seen that, but have only used on Weaver on a stainless revolver.

In both, if they get a little loose, they will wear the finish on the barrel and you'll get a spot that looks like holster wear under it. Just check the set screws occasionally with a torque wrench.

Jeremy