Scope problem or me?

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
So I have a leupold lrp. I have been sighting it in from 100 yards to 500 yards. Last night dialed the elevation turret out to 500 and went well. Dialed it back down to 0 but then decided to dial back to 500 for 2 more shots. My windage turret has a covered cap so was never touched. Took several shots and all shot right 12 to 15 inches. Only 2 things were different. When originally shooting sun was to my right 3 o'clock position going down. This time shooting sun was below mtn range getting darker. Also I was shooting prone using a v shaped front bag. I did notice during these shots going right that the recoil of my rifle kicked a little left thru my scope. Maybe I was rushing some but all about 10 shots far right? I then decided to adjust my windage and it then shot way left. As I adjusted it back it became closer to my original 0.

So my question is does this sound like it was me or has anyone dealt with adjusting elevation turrets messing up the windage turret? I have shot for years and never encountered this. Just stressed a week away from the hunt. I appreciate any feedback and I plan to go back out in a couple days to check this again.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Man I bet your correct as first string of shots sun was in right eye a bit then second bad string sun was down and lowlight. I will check that. I appreciate it.

Parallax will not move you 3 moa at 500. If there is no wind, then likely it is the scope. You need to check it more, being methodical, but the behavior is spot on for a failed Leupold.

If the scope has a circular range of adjustment, and you had to dial wind for zero, it'll track along the curve of the inside wall of the tube.

Shoot a tracking test at 100 yds.

260madman

WKR
Take your backup rifle with next time. Sounds like you’re going to need it.