Scope questions

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to buy a tikka t3 in 7mm. Not decided on a scope yet. Price is definitely an issue. I know leupold and vortex are a lot of guys go to on here. Wanting something decently light but not an ounce counter. Opinions on what I should get?

Second question is, how far do I need to be able to shoot to start venturing into a scope with turrets? I so far have steered clear of them since I mainly build my rifles for hunting here in ok, but have recently gotten into mountain rifle hunting.

3rd question: what is the diff between second focal and first focal? Can y'all long range guys break that down for me a little?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price range is going to dictate some choices but nothing wrong with a leupold vx3 or higher end vortex. I think there's a 3-15 vortex in the classifieds that's a pretty good deal.
I'll dial anything past 400 especially if the situation allows.
Here's a great write up on FFP vs SFP. Most scopes are second focal and using a basic duplex it works great. If you are using a mil or MOA reticle or any reticle such as BDC, Boone and Crockett the values increase as the power increases. In a FFP the values of the reticle stay constant.
Primal Rights, Inc :: Part 3: SFP vs FFP

Nuke Man

WKR
I am a Leupold guy. Had a couple Vortex scopes, my opinion they don't compare to my Leupys. The Leupold VX-3 is hard to beat at that price and weight.
For FFP or SFP just depends on if you want to spend the extra money on First Focal. I've tried some, I couldn't justify the price. But I don't shoot long ranges ( over 500 yds).
If your familiar with the good ol duplex, stay with it. I sight all my rifles with Duplex reticles to Maximum Point Blank Range. You'll need a ballistic calculator and paper punching time. Than anywhere inside your max range, aim center of kill zone and squeeze the trigger. No dialing or hold overs needed. Keep it simple

I have a Tikka T3 SL in 7 RM and mounted a 4.5 x 14 x 40 VX3i on it in a DNZ one piece mount. It is all the scope I need but I shoot within 200 yards most of the time. Have killed to 315 yards with this set up.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to consider is that when getting into longer range shooting with turrets, weight can be more of a friend than foe. A heavier rifle will hold steadier and also give you a better chance at spotting your own shots. As far as optics, I spent twice as much on my optics as I did on my rifle with no regrets. I ended up with a Nightforce NSX that I bought used and is a very capable long range scope but its not light and I am fine with that. I have not used Vortex but I have owned several Leupolds and actually I didnt have the best luck with them. They do have great customer service though. I had at one point 4 VX III's and now I am down to 0. My setup is a 300wm and I am working on getting my skills to shoot to 1000 yards. My setup is good to well beyond that and is very robust as well.

I got a Burris Fullfield E1 and a Leupold Vx2 to compare and choose which I would keep. I sent the Leupold back. Light gathering was better, turrets had a more positive "click" feel to them. Etched reticle. I really liked the reticle and how it didnt go all the way to the edges.

7stw

WKR
A lot of it depends on your budget. As far as turrets I can get out to 600 on steel consistently without them but it took lots of practice. Bdc type reticles help but can get busy to the eye. Zeiss conquest scope with the "z series" reticles work well. If I'm going out past 600 I prefer to dial then all I have to focus on is the wind and where to hold for that. Vortex leupold and Zeiss make good glass with excellent erectors. I give the optical edge to Zeiss. I own a couple of nightforce kahles Swarovski and a couple of burris fullfield and an xtr II. The only ones I dial are the xtr nightforce and kahles. Having a solid drop chart made with your load is a big help weather you decide to dial or hold either one. Some of it will depend on your zero as well. My 28 nosler I have zeroed at 100 yds and can dial from there. My kimber 300 is 2" high at 100 and dead on at 315 that way. My 22nosler is 1 3/4" high at 100 and on a coyote at 300 hold on his back and dead coyote. Sfp or ffp is a big debate in its self. I have both and actually for hunting prefer sfp.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Jester8

FNG
I'd go SFP, and regular turrets if you don't plan on taking long shots. To me, a long shot is over 500 yards. I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 on my hunting rifle. Duplex reticle. If you know the DOPE of your load holdovers are no problem. Shoot as much as you can to get proficient with it.

On my varmint rigs, and target rifles I like FFP and adjustable turrets that match the reticle. MOA/MOA or MRAD/MRAD. I am big fan of the latter option. Buy the best scope you can afford, glass is important. As other have mentioned, a reticle with a bullet drop compensator is also handy, if you know the holdover for your load. Again, practice to become proficient with it.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 4-16x42 with a 1' tube on my 7mm. I am updating it with a 4-20x50 30mm tube. Both are Sightrons. I really like these scopes. Took most of the VX-3s off and only have one left to sell.

I've got a Tikka T3X Lite in 7mm Mag and it's got a SWFA 3-15 on it. I wanted to use the 3-9 but they were out of stock. So far this combo has been great. It's shooting well and I havent done too bad out to 400 yards with it. Still practicing but my goal is to get out to 800-1000 and this set up should do it well I think.

What's your price range? I have a Leupold VX-6 for sale. Superior optics and light transmission for a hunting scope. It has turrets for long range shooting and is a great starter scope for long range hunting. Took a Muley buck with it at 610 yards last season. I'm selling to upgrade to a ffp scope with moa reticle.

My for sale scope is a 4-24x52mm with VH reticle.

I've been hunting and shooting for 20+years. 4-14x power scopes are great out to about 400 yards. If you plan on shooting 400-900 I highly recommend at least a 20x scope. It's not necessary but recommended. I won't own a hunting scope less than 20x for "long range" hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: