Scope recommendations for a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon 6.5 Creedmoor

Dmartin88

FNG
I am looking for scope ideas and recommendations for a Hells Canyon Long Range 6.5 Creedmoor that I won in a gun raffle the other day. I'm not a long range guy but I'm think of setting this gun up to reach out a little further to give me higher success on coyotes and maybe an antelope hunt in the future. And for the 6.5 haters out there, should I trade this gun I won on a different caliber? :)

Bater

WKR
Nothing wrong with the “caliber” as I own a few heterosexual 6.5’s....but the 6.5 Manbun is not one of them. In all seriousness it’ll work fine, just might get hit on at the range more, your call.

Hard to suggest a scope without any parameters. Need to know price range and if your dialing or not

OP
Dmartin88

Dmartin88

FNG
Nothing wrong with the “caliber” as I own a few heterosexual 6.5’s....but the 6.5 Manbun is not one of them. In all seriousness it’ll work fine, just might get hit on at the range more, your call.

Hard to suggest a scope without any parameters. Need to know price range and if your dialing or not
I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to dialing and all that but something I’ve been interested in... I want to put something on it that is at least equal to the value of the gun... so $1200+... probably not more than 2k

Wassid82

WKR
I got a night force last year. Man it seems hard to beat. I Have the same gun in 300wm. I think the nx8 would be ideal

Motown

WKR
I just mounted a Vortex 3-15x42 LHT on a Tikka 6.5 creed. Haven’t had a chance to try it out yet but just the initial impression is that the glass is really clear and the turrets seem really good as well.

I am not normally a Vortex guy but based on all the positive reviews everywhere I wanted to give it a shot. For a sub $1k Japanese scope with a 30mm tube, illuminated reticle, and under 20oz I don't think you can find better.

I will be trying this scope out a little the next week or two and will update when I do. In the meantime take a look at all the other reviews on here and I think you’ll find it impressive as well.

OP
Dmartin88

Dmartin88

FNG
I got a night force last year. Man it seems hard to beat. I Have the same gun in 300wm. I think the nx8 would be ideal
The NX8 was one I was looking at. Do you buy custom turrets then to match your caliber or how does that work?

Wassid82

WKR
The NX8 was one I was looking at. Do you buy custom turrets then to match your caliber or how does that work?
No you create a dope chart. through manufacture info or there are some phone apps and then trial & error. At least that is what I did

bZ4L1GI.jpg

Z8i 2-16x50 is pretty sick. BRX-i reticle and a 200 yd zero will have you dialing to ~900 then holding over.

Image is like you're standing right in front of the animal. Which, shortly after you will be...

If you do a lot of Coues hunting I'd probably look at the 3.5-28x50 as an alternative, but that 2-16x50 is hard to beat.

OP
Dmartin88

Dmartin88

FNG
bZ4L1GI.jpg

Z8i 2-16x50 is pretty sick. BRX-i reticle and a 200 yd zero will have you dialing to ~900 then holding over.

Image is like you're standing right in front of the animal. Which, shortly after you will be...

If you do a lot of Coues hunting I'd probably look at the 3.5-28x50 as an alternative, but that 2-16x50 is hard to beat.
Hey good looking setup man! and nice goat too! thanks for the info...

Bater

WKR
If you’re just getting into dialing save some money and start with a Razor LHT or a Zeiss V4 for sfp options or Bushy LRTS if you prefer ffp. I have both and they will serve you well. I also own higher end NF’s and March and would not have benefited from what they offer as a new LR shooter

OP
Dmartin88

Dmartin88

FNG
If you’re just getting into dialing save some money and start with a Razor LHT or a Zeiss V4 for sfp options or Bushy LRTS if you prefer ffp. I have both and they will serve you well. I also own higher end NF’s and March and would not have benefited from what they offer as a new LR shooter
I appreciate the advice! I used to be an old fashioned, budget minded, deer hunter that had to get inside of 300 yards to feel comfortable but lately I've had the means to go on more big game hunts and I spend a ton of time going after coyotes so I've been steadily filling up the gun safe with higher quality items ;) I've also been acquiring more & better equipment and optics. But in short I'm brand-new to the LR community so I'm starting at ground zero.

Bauerj372

FNG
I appreciate the advice! I used to be an old fashioned, budget minded, deer hunter that had to get inside of 300 yards to feel comfortable but lately I've had the means to go on more big game hunts and I spend a ton of time going after coyotes so I've been steadily filling up the gun safe with higher quality items ;) I've also been acquiring more & better equipment and optics. But in short I'm brand-new to the LR community so I'm starting at ground zero.
I'm in the same boat as you. Looking into a vx-6 3-18. Interested to hear what people have to say. I actually just won a 6.5 at a coyote derby here a month ago.

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
Look into the leupold mark 5 3-18. I have two one on a 6.5 creedmore and a PRC. They are compact hunting scope but also a very capable long range scope. I’d either go with one of these or a NX8.