Scope Recommendations for Ruger American .270

Hi guys, looking for a lightweight and reliable scope to put on my Ruger American .270. Budget is around $500. I don't shoot beyond 300 or so yards in the field. Trying to stay fairly light as this is my backcountry gun that takes a beating. Have Leupold on my other guns but interested to see what people who have more knowledge than myself here prefer. Thanks

OP
J
I have heard a lot of positive things about SWFA SS scopes. Anybody have experience with both Leupold and SWFA?

Tmac

WKR
I have heard a lot of positive things about SWFA SS scopes. Anybody have experience with both Leupold and SWFA?
I have some of each. But my SWFA’s are not lightweight to 300 yand tools, they were bought with a different purpose in mind. So are heavier higher powered tools that can take repeated dialing. Several of my Leupolds are lightweight to 400 yard tools with no dialing done. I’ve put them through hard use on many hunts and so far so good.

SWFA does make an ultralight 2.5-10x32 SS, 10 ish ounces I believe. I don’t know anything about it, but if built to NATO standards like some of their others, it would be close to bullet proof. I am sure someone here will know if it’s made to those standards. Their 3-9x42 SS HD is 19 oz, fairly heavy imo. My bigger SWFA’s are working perfectly so far and what I consider fairly heavy.

WKR
I'd grab a 6x SS for that rifle and never look back. Buy some solid rings and bases and you're set. I shoot just about Rem 700s only and use Seekins rails and rings typically. Not sure what the Ruger needs in regards to rings and rails or bases.

gearjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
300 yards with a 270? Zero at 200 get a SWFA. I have not hunted with mine yet but despite the small size I find mine very easy get behind. I hunt with a ruger american 7mm-08 in the compact model I love it it is like carrying a large pistol through the woods. I fashioned a clip on my belt and used zip ties around the scope mounts. This way when I glass I simply "holster" the rifle on my hip works awesome!