Scope Recommendations?

Mitten32

WKR
Look for some scope recommendations for my Thompson center triumph. I would still like to have access to the iron sights for close range shots if need be. Thanks in advance.

rblosser

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Vortex diamond back 3x9-40 on my triumph with a Warne base and QD rings. This way if I'm hunting in CO i can remove the scope easily and have had no issues with the scope holding a zero when remounting.

i run a nikon prostaff 2-7x32 on my triumph. had it on there for 8 years and never an issue. i don't have irons so can't help there but at 2 power you can shoot them pretty close. my average shot distance with the ML is within bow range for most western hunters.

Not a fan of shoot through scope rings-- They force your head up off the stock into a position that isn't easily repeatable for good practice.

I would recommend going with a scope that has a low end magnification that won't keep you from making those close shots. I hunted relatively thick big timber areas of Kentucky and I used a Leupold VX1 3-9x40- extremely light and I have had 3 of them- 2 on muzzleloaders an 1 on a slug gun- zero issues with the recoil. Recoil is going to be your biggest issue on a muzzleloader so get a quality scope made for the abuse.

If you think that the 3x might be a bit much then I would look at their 2-7x offerings made for slug guns or even the 1.5-5x- just remember in the big woods as you shrink your objective lens it makes it harder to gather good light.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I agree about the shoot thru scope rings, does not provide optimal scope placement. As for QD mounts so that you can keep iron sight, good ones will cost you more than the optic. In 55 years of hunting and the last 10 years I have spent more than 40 days a year chasing whitetails I have yet to have a scope go down and wish I had iron sights. That being said, I get it, it's your choice. I took my first ML buck last year with a T/C .50 and Nikon Inline scope. Absolutely thrilling! I helped a buddy get his rig together and this is what he ended up for 2017. He also took a nice OK buck. Nikon for 2018 has changed the name of their Inline scope to the PROSTAFF P3 MUZZLELOADER 3-9x40 BDC. I needed that BDC for my buck and so glad I dialed everything in so I could make a 1 shot stop.

DSC_0177.jpg