Scope Ring/Mount Options for Long Action Kimber Montana

I just picked up a .270 Kimber Montana 84L long action rifle with a 3-9x40mm Zeiss Conquest and it is turning out to be a real shooter. However, I am not in love with the reticle and decided to switch scopes tonight. I went to place my older 2-10x42 1" tube Vortex Razor LWH into the Leupold Dual Dovetail rings and found that the main tube is about a quarter-inch too short for the scope to fit in the rings.

What options are available to mount a shorter-tube scope on a Kimber long action? I do not want a picatinny rail. Is there a different ring/mount setup that will accommodate the short main tube of the LWH, or am I forced to use a scope with a longer main tube?

Some basic measurements I took:
3.98"- Rear edge of front Leupold ring to front edge of rear ring.
4.58"- Distance between each action hole (center to center).
5.00"- Distance between front and rear bell (from where it flares)[Vortex]
6.1"- Distance between front and rear bell (from where it flares)[Zeiss]

morgaj1

WKR
Looking at the specs, a DNZ game reaper should work well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L
Looking at the specs, a DNZ game reaper should work well for you.

Thank you...I will have to take that into consideration. Nice mount. The only thing I can really see as a problem is that it is 1-piece (which actually solves my problem). But my primary method for carrying a light rifle is one-handed at my side, with my hand wrapped around the breech between the scope and bolt.

I have an email into Kimber for some suggestions. My guess is that they will tell me to get Talleys, which is mostly what I see on their website. I shy from them these days because they tend to come loose even when degreased and torqued properly.

I have an email into Kimber for some suggestions. My guess is that they will tell me to get Talleys, which is mostly what I see on their website. I shy from them these days because they tend to come loose even when degreased and torqued properly.
Really? I have Talley’s on all my light wt. setups and I’ve never had a problem with them coming loose.

OP
L
Really? I have Talley’s on all my light wt. setups and I’ve never had a problem with them coming loose.

Hey...it happens. Might've been one of the used sets I bought off the internet. It sounds like maybe a little Loctite would solve my problem, which I generally don't use on the ring itself. At this point, it sounds like Talleys are my next best option for Kimber, so I will try them again.

Hey...it happens. Might've been one of the used sets I bought off the internet. It sounds like maybe a little Loctite would solve my problem, which I generally don't use on the ring itself. At this point, it sounds like Talleys are my next best option for Kimber, so I will try them again.

Yeah, I’ve always used loctite on all the screws, so that’s probably why I haven’t had any issues. I have heard of them cracking before but (knock on wood), that’s never happened to me either.

OP
L
I try not to use my rifle and scope as a hammer, so maybe the Talleys will hold up 😜. Has anyone tried the 2-10x42 Razor with Talley rings on a long action Kimber and can tell me whether that combo will work? May have to call Kimber and see what they know.

OP
L
Correction on my previous post: the objective bell is 40mm...NOT 42MM...so 2-10x40.

Here is what I found out so far:
I 1st called Kimber. There was a short wait with Customer Service, then was able to speak to a representative. Despite his best effort, he could not say whether the scope/rifle combination would work, but thought the Talley 1" base/ring, 84 medium might work, but recommended I contact Talley.
https://store.kimberamerica.com/talley-30mm-base-ring-84-medium

Talley was very helpful and picked up the phone immediately. He recommended the Kimber Model 84L rings (948X749) in medium height, stating the front base is extended/ offset more to accomodate fitting scopes on the long action.
https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/kimber-model-84/

I also heard the Leupold Backcountries (medium) may also have the offset to accommodate a shorter scope on a Kimber long action, so I will also be looking into those as an option.

Last edited:
I try not to use my rifle and scope as a hammer, so maybe the Talleys will hold up .
That’s the only way I’ve found to kill critters with a Kimber!
Kidding of course. I have 3 Kimber light wts. and they are all great shooters. I don’t have any experience with Vortex, so can’t offer anything to that.

OP
L
That’s the only way I’ve found to kill critters with a Kimber!
Kidding of course. I have 3 Kimber light wts. and they are all great shooters. I don’t have any experience with Vortex, so can’t offer anything to that.

I have gotten as small as .30" 3-shot groups at 100 yds during load development with 150gr. Speer Deep Curls and RL-17, and this is an older Yonkers rifle. 😁