Scope ring vs scope manufacture inch lb recommendation

Derek0525

WKR
So i got a vortex viper 4x16 HS and Leupold LRW rings I tightened to the Leopold specs of 28in lbs then i looked in the scope box and it says 18in lbs max. What should i go off of hopefully nothing got screwed up going to 28in lbs.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
FYI, Vortex typically won't handle much clamp load on their scope tubes.
My torque range for ring mounting runs between 15-20 inch pounds. Warne for instance gets a really good bite, those don't need more than 15 inch/lbs. In fact it's easy to damage a tube with those. Others such as Seekins matched tactical rings get 20 in/lbs. I also use medium loctite, always.
I think to answer your question, you are safer going off the scope manufacturer's specification's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Derek0525

WKR
I ended up re doing it to 18 guess i will find out if anything got screwed up when i go sight it in. And yeah the screws already came with loctite on them.

toggy

FNG
FYI, Vortex typically won't handle much clamp load on their scope tubes.
My torque range for ring mounting runs between 15-20 inch pounds. Warne for instance gets a really good bite, those don't need more than 15 inch/lbs. In fact it's easy to damage a tube with those. Others such as Seekins matched tactical rings get 20 in/lbs. I also use medium loctite, always.
I think to answer your question, you are safer going off the scope manufacturer's specification's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you use loctite on the scope itself? Bottom ring?

What color is "medium" loctite?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

toggy

FNG
Yes I only use it on base screws...

However I am trying to solve scope slipping issues and I am reading up on it: I've heard of scope tape (not just regular tape), rosin, silicone and I am trying to understand if something out there can keep a scope in my rings.

Wapiti1

WKR
Do what the ring manufacturer states. The scope maker has NO idea what the surface area of the rings you use have. The ring maker does and sets the torque to apply whatever they deem to be an appropriate amount of pressure to prevent slip.

Jeremy

toggy

FNG
Do what the ring manufacturer states. The scope maker has NO idea what the surface area of the rings you use have. The ring maker does and sets the torque to apply whatever they deem to be an appropriate amount of pressure to prevent slip.

Jeremy
Yeah that leads to my current conundrum. Vortex says to go 18 lb on the scope rings. DNZ says to go 30 or 35 lb on the rings.

I want to secure the scope and I also want to make sure I don't damage the scope.

This on a muzzleloader with some strong recoil...

Tom

SBFD63

FNG
Yeah that leads to my current conundrum. Vortex says to go 18 lb on the scope rings. DNZ says to go 30 or 35 lb on the rings.

I want to secure the scope and I also want to make sure I don't damage the scope.

Tom
I would contact DNZ. I stripped the heads on 2 screws well before I got to 30#. I don't recall their explanation precisely, but they don't trust a fat wrench. Which reminds me I need to call them tomorrow to get my new screws.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

toggy

FNG
I would contact DNZ. I stripped the heads on 2 screws well before I got to 30#. I don't recall their explanation precisely, but they don't trust a fat wrench. Which reminds me I need to call them tomorrow to get my new screws.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
Well dang I use a fat wrench. They suspect that the fat wrench was going over on the poundage?

Wapiti1

WKR

Tom
Vortex has no clue which rings you are using. Would 18 in/lbs in a 1/2" wide single screw ring be enough, too much, or not enough clamping force? What if that was a 1 screw ring that is 3/4" wide? Maybe it's a 2 screw ring that is 3/4" wide. Do you torque all 4 to 18? All of these scenarios gives you a vastly different result in clamping pressure, and makes the Vortex recommendation B.S. The ring maker cares about clamping force and slippage. Use their value.

If it really bothers you, start at 15 in/lbs and see if it slips. If it does, try 20. I can say that my experience with big bore rifles, 25 in/lbs will hold any scope in singe screw steel ring like Leupold, Weaver or Burris Z. In 2 or 3 screw tactical rings 15 is rarely not enough.

However, you aren't using a calibrated wrench, so figure your actual value is +/- 5 of the setting on the wrench. You would be surprised how much variation in/lb torque wrenches have.

Jeremy

SDHNTR

WKR
I went through this confusion too. What I arrived at is to use the ring manufacturer’s torque specs and use a scope that has a tube beefy enough to handle a lil extra margin of error.

eltaco

WKR
FWIW, I was completely clueless to this and significantly over torqued my rings recently. I have no idea what torque they were setup, but substantially over 20 in-lb for sure. I was having some surprising accuracy issues and read a bit to learn that I had totally screwed this up.

I ended up ordering a torque driver from “Fix It Sticks” and reset everything on the rifle. My accuracy tightened immediately and I don’t appear to have any notable issues or damages to the scope tube. I was definitely concerned that I would have caused damage, but seems all is okay. Hope you find the same with your Vortex.