Scope/rings for Browning X bolt Hells Canyon Speed

mcseal2

WKR
I traded for a Browning X bolt Hells Canyon speed rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday. The rifle is being ordered and will take a while to come in, so I'm debating glass for it now. I have some time to decide on what I want.

I have had good luck with Huskemaw scopes and plan to stick with that brand. I'm used to their reticle, plus I like the covered turrets. What I'm debating is if I want a 4-16x42 or 5-20x50.

I'm thinking steel Talley rings and bases for this set-up. What I'm wondering is if the factory stock will get good cheek position with a 50mm scope? If so what height rings?

I'm leaning toward the 50mm since this rifle will likely be used on deer when I hunt with it, and they like to show up in low light. In Colorado we used a UTV to get between glassing spots and I got tired of loading and unloading my 300 win mag with a blind magazine each time we got in or out. Our hunt we did a lot of driving and glassing areas near the road, but not visible from the road. I was wanting a 6.5 Creedmoor anyway and decided to go ahead and get this one after all your reviews. I want the detachable magazine. It will likely get used primarily on mountain mule deer and also be a back-up rifle for other species. The kids will probably take it over as they get older.

Thanks for your help once again.

I traded for a Browning X bolt Hells Canyon speed rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday. The rifle is being ordered and will take a while to come in, so I'm debating glass for it now. I have some time to decide on what I want.

I have had good luck with Huskemaw scopes and plan to stick with that brand. I'm used to their reticle, plus I like the covered turrets. What I'm debating is if I want a 4-16x42 or 5-20x50.

I'm thinking steel Talley rings and bases for this set-up. What I'm wondering is if the factory stock will get good cheek position with a 50mm scope? If so what height rings?

I'm leaning toward the 50mm since this rifle will likely be used on deer when I hunt with it, and they like to show up in low light. In Colorado we used a UTV to get between glassing spots and I got tired of loading and unloading my 300 win mag with a blind magazine each time we got in or out. Our hunt we did a lot of driving and glassing areas near the road, but not visible from the road. I was wanting a 6.5 Creedmoor anyway and decided to go ahead and get this one after all your reviews. I want the detachable magazine. It will likely get used primarily on mountain mule deer and also be a back-up rifle for other species. The kids will probably take it over as they get older.

Thanks for your help once again.

Even with the lowest talley ultralights and 42-44mm objective, 30mm tube scopes, I like a little help for my cheek height. I have always had a stock pack on mine, the armageddon gear cheeky bastard is a little lighter, cheaper, smaller yet and is another good option.

I'd look into warne mountain tech bases to keep low if not going one piece.

6738c1d2fac53c808314d56cbb4bae35.jpg

Last edited:
I have an X Bolt Speed 30 06. I'm using the Talley 1 piece in medium. My scope is 42mm, 30 mm tube. I have 2/10's clearance on the bell with the scope all the way back. I have a 14.5 LOP! Most likely you will need the highs with a 50 mm scope.

I had to build up my stock to get a consistent cheek weld. I bought 2 different pads but didn't like them as they were too thick and pushed my face away from the stock. I ended up making my own with padding just along the top of the stock. Perfect fit and easy and cheap to do!

One sweet shooting gun. I agree with the mag. We did the same thing on our hunt in CO last year, the mag made it easy!!! I bought an extra and had it in my pack just in case.

Picked up a X Bolt Max Long Range in 300 Win Mag. Adjustable LOP and cheek rest. Perfect fit. I have a Talley piccatiney rail and Seekins medium rings for a 50mm scope.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Sounds like I should go with a 4-16x42. Thanks everyone. I will do that and see if I need a cheek rest.