Scope selection

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
I have a upcoming sheep hunt next August in the Brooks. Im currently running a 7mm rem mag with a zeiss conquest v4 6x24x50. Ive been debating swapping it out for a night force nx8 or nxs for this hunt. Can anyone give me an opinion if itd be worth it or not? Thanks

For toughness alone it would be worth it. Nightforce is the only scope I have been able to travel with and not worry about my zero shifting.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Has the Zeiss ever given you problems? Has it been through rough use and performed?

amassi

WKR
Unsure what a brooks range sheep hunt costs but I'd buy the nightforce simply for the insurance

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Id like to be able to dial, the zeiss has not had it rough its been on one trip a Newfoundland moose hunt but to me the 6x24 seemed like over kill. Its a nice clear scope that hasnt given any issues though. Just a once in a life time trip for me and just want all my ducks in a row long before I leave gear wise. Thanks everyone for advice.

Rock-o

WKR
Thanks I was thinking the NSX 5.5x22x50 unless the nx8 is better.

Depends on what you're looking for. NXS line is all 2nd focal plane. [Some?] NX8 models offer a choice of 1st or 2nd. I believe all NXS are MoA whereas [some?] NX8 models offer Mil. NX8 are all 8x erectors - hence the name. NXS are all ~4x. I think the NX8 line has several more reticles to choose from. Weight, field of view, etc... you'll have to research.

An acquaintance really likes his NXS. But he does nothing but target shooting to about 800 yards. I have shot two ATACR models and would like to have one, but for my use I couldn't justify the premium over the NX8. Mine is the 4-32 F1 mil with Mil-XT. It's great for me. I hunt and shoot long range with it.

From what I've read in reviews and on forums, I'd steer clear of the NX8 2.5-20. Seems the issue is a "tight eyebox". <whatever> The magnification range didn't work for me so I didn't pay much attention to that model.

Last edited:
I had planned to take a Zeiss 4-16 but still don’t trust it 100%. I ended up with a SHV 3-10 that will more than work for me I think. I don’t want that hunt coming down something I don’t have complete confidence in, so I’ll take the 5-6 ounce penalty. I also didn’t want to top my gun with a 30 ounce scope for the higher magnification, 10x will be plenty for the 3-400 yard max distance I wanna shoot.

For what its worth , I’m hard on gear don’t baby it and use it like i stole it. Ive flown with the Zeiss V4 multiple times , its rode in the truck on screwed up roads bouncing around from CA to Wyoming , bunch of backpacking and I’ve never had an issue with it. As long as its in some good rings, I think you’d be fine.

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for advice, I decided on the NSX 5.5x22x50 with the MOAR-T reticle. Now just need some decent rings.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks everyone for advice, I decided on the NSX 5.5x22x50 with the MOAR-T reticle. Now just need some decent rings.
I've used quite a few (though not ALL) different ring options. I only plan to buy Hawkins Precision from here on out.

nobody

WKR
I've never hunted sheep (and with my current career/life path, I probably never will hunt anything but OTC and general season tags), but if I was setting up a rifle to travel with, Seekins precision rings are hard to beat, IMO. Heavy duty, beefy, have a high torque rating (50 inch pounds on the bases!), I have them on 2 rifles now and have helped a buddy mount up a scope on his rifle with them. They just inspire confidence, I'll probably never use anything else.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

Ram94

WKR
I've never hunted sheep (and with my current career/life path, I probably never will hunt anything but OTC and general season tags), but if I was setting up a rifle to travel with, Seekins precision rings are hard to beat, IMO. Heavy duty, beefy, have a high torque rating (50 inch pounds on the bases!), I have them on 2 rifles now and have helped a buddy mount up a scope on his rifle with them. They just inspire confidence, I'll probably never use anything else.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...
Yeah, you're nobody.

I used the 2.5-10 NXS for my dall hunt in the brooks. Cant see a good reason to carry the 5.5-22 instead but different strokes for different folks. Shot my sheep at 300 yards at probably 5x magnification.