scope setup

thoma018

FNG
Need some help for a scope reticle for a longer range hunting/shooting possibility pretty much sold on the leupold VX%=5HD scope line but unsure because of a cole of concerns, Can not determine which reticle would serve me best, I am considering the firedot and the windplex.
If i were holding wind I suppose the windplex would be the beststarting point---BUT i DO Not use ballistic calculators for wind or otherwise, just a rangefinder.....so maybe I'd hold 1/2 or 2/3 or some such distance feom one end of the animal and go that route.....
As far athe firedot system I'm thinking that it might help in the last minute or so of legal light to be able to make a shot.....not sure about that...
........and if I did use some phone app that said hold "x" moa in "x" wind what app does that ?
.......furthermore , do some states say anyscope with an electronici/lighted reticle-systembattery powered is illegal and if so which states ?
Thanks in advance for the long, multi-faceted question

WCB

WKR
I do not personally have one but a couple buddies have the 5hd and like them. I've shot through them a couple time and had not complaints. IMO the windplex would be more beneficial than the dot. I have a couple scopes with illuminated reticles and have never used the illumination. I have also never wished I had one. If you can't see your reticle no way can you see what or where on what you are shooting.

I personally would get the TMOA or TMR reticle. Gives you the options of holdover and holding wind. Depending on what your "longer range" idea is but learn wind holds and if nothing more the windage marks give you a good focal point for aiming if holding off.

Last edited:

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
My personal preference for hunting is a simple MOA reticle and SFP. I've had no issues with the Zeiss V4 (ZMOA-1) and even though it is an illuminated reticle version I leave the battery out and agree with the statement above about not being necessary for hunting. I don't run a canted rail/rings and still have enough turret adjustment to reach 1100 or so, plenty of room for hunting and don't have to build up so much cheek pad. I use the Strelok app and it has been pretty consistent for all my rifles once tuned.

If you decide to compare Zeiss red hawk rifles has display demos for significantly less than new and I can confirm they show up in perfect condition.

Wapiti1

WKR
I would get the windplex. Leupold reticles are fairly thick and not hard to see in low light, IMO.

If you shoot at game past 300 yards, consider a ballistic app, or at a minimum a wind hold card showing holds for 5, 10, 15 mph at different yardages. There is zero reason to guess. Tape the card to the stock or the scope bell for easy reference. Keep in mind the Leupold reticle subtension values will only be accurate at max power for a second focal plane scope.

All states allow illuminated reticles, AFAIK. What is not allowed in all is connectivity to other devices like the Sig BDX system. The Burris laserscope isn't allowed in some places either. Idaho comes to mind as one with restrictions, but you'd have to read the regulations where you want to hunt.

Jeremy

please do yourself a huge favor and look at the optics testing subforum in the long-range hunting section before you spend any money.

in short: don't get a leupold for this tak, do go first focal plane and mils for simplified wind holds.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I get more use out of the fire dot than the windplex. I’ve learned to ignore the windplex reticle, but wish it didn’t have it.