Scope “shake” when dry fire

philcox

WKR
Having a hard time getting groups at 200 or 300 yds. I can hit a pie plate “most of the time” at 300. But just not as “tight” as I would expect:
  • Off bipod
  • Off bench
  • Savage Storm 110 in 270
  • Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40
  • Barnes 129 gr LRX
Am a bit frustrated, so thought it might be me jerking the trigger or flinching or something like that. So I started dry firing at home. I noticed that whenever I pull the trigger my scope shakes a little bit. Sometimes the reticle seems to move a bit as well. I checked the torque specs, and everything seems to be tight.

I am wondering if there might be something wrong with my scope, or if that is just normal for that gun scope combination. I have an old semi automatic 30-06 with a vortex scope, no shake on the trigger pull with that.

any insight is appreciated.

phil

Try to film yourself if you can, to see if you have any shake when you pull the trigger.

Try dryfiring with a dime balanced on the barrel near the muzzle to see if the gun is moving

Use a rear bag with your bipod setup.

If these don't help you with your wiggle, it could be a damaged scope. You might try having someone tap the side of the scope while you look through it.

Shane431

FNG
Make sure the rifle is pulled in tight into your shoulder. You’re probably not holding the rifle tight enough. I’ve seen the same thing and if I grip the rifle hared the bounce goes away.

LaHunter

WKR
Is it the reticle inside the scope that is shaking, or is it the whole rig moving when the trigger breaks?
If it's the reticle shaking inside the scope, that is a bad thing and needs to be fixed or scope replaced.
If the whole rig is moving when the trigger breaks, that is a good indicator of shooting form issues.
When you are really doing it correctly with good form, your reticle should remain on target when you dry fire. You should be able to keep the reticle centered on a small 1" dot at 200 yards when dry firing, assuming you have enough magnification & resolution to see the target that well.

Another thing, what is the pull wt of your trigger? If it is too high, then that can lead to your issue also. I like a 2 lb trigger on my hunting rifles.

Rob5589

WKR
Dry fire practice can show small imperfections in form. I'd bet money it's you. If an etched reticle is shaking/moving at the drop of a firing pin, it would fall apart at recoil.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
So, some more information, that is now even more confusing to me ... but I think getting closer:
  1. For Operator error: Working on a solid grip and slow smooth trigger pull, when I do it "just right". sub-MOA
  2. For Ammo: Swapped to Hornaday, and went from very inconsistent (I really never new if/where my Barnes LRX would hit the target, even if reticle move, was still on "paper", but the LRX might not be), first 3 Hornaday Superperformance on paper, then I thought "wow", shot 'groups of 2 at 200yds (yellow) and then a single at 100 (white) ... seems that MY Savage likes the Superperformance over the LRX. Since the rifle is "zeroed" for the LRX, the lower right "grouping" with the Hornaday seems fixable.
  3. For Scope issue: When I shoot, my paralax adjustment get "moved". So I set paralax (image clear), take a shot, and the paralax has moved (image is blurry). I have to then reset. This leads me to think there might actually be something up inside the scope
So might me a combo of all 3, and if I work on 1, stay with what I found on 2, and get a scope repair (if needed), I might actually not be as horrid a shot as I was starting to think.

3F8249D4-5786-4C06-B216-108EA8FF6D4B_1_105_c.jpegED0BE63E-1166-401C-8C68-110D6B0F739E.jpeg