Scope slip in rings

rob86jeep

WKR
I've got a new Tikka T3x Superlite topped with an SWFA 3x9 in sportsmatch rings. Took it to the range today to get the scope zero'd but the scope kept slipping in the rings after a few shots. I just moved and can't find my torque wrench so I don't know for sure yet but I assume I torqued them to 30-40 in lbs. I got pretty tight with a small allen key.

I'm going to find my torque wrench and check first, but does anybody have suggestion on how to fix this? I figure I can over torque the rings (but I don't want to damage the scope), lap the rings (will have to buy a lap kit), or wrap some masking tape around the scope where the rings sit.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Follow this-

20 in-lbs or so on scope cap rings with loctite (blue) or fingernail polish AFTER decreasing everything. 60-65 in-lbs on base screws with loctite or fingernail polish, again after degreasing everything. Degrease scope tube as well.

Follow the post mentioned above, or your ring manufacturer’s specified torque settings. If scope continues to slip purchase higher quality rings or bed the rings to match your scope outline perfectly. If you did torque the rings that high it may be worth getting the scope tube inspected by the manufacturer for any deformation. I know vortex doesn’t recommend over 18in/lbs and others aren’t usually much more.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
I'll re-mount my scope tonight and find my torque wrench set to get the proper torque on there. I did notice at the range that when my scope rings were slipping, they left a slight oil trail/smear on the scope body. I'll go through with some rubbing alcohol to make sure I get any residual oil this time. Thanks for the quick replies!

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
I re-mounted the scope last week, degreased everything, and torqued it down. My hand calibrated torque was way lower then I thought.

Took it out today and put about 30 rounds through it with no scope slippage. Thanks for the help/advice!