Scope slipping

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Bergara ridge, 300wm with a Leupold vx5 mounted with Leupold backcountry one piece rings.
After about 100 rounds the scope slipped from the recoil. Is this a scope ring problem or just something I need to deal with shooting the 300wm. I was looking to upgrade to some Hawkins but don’t want to throw money at it if they won’t help.
Everything was torqued and rechecked after the first 20 shots.

OP
G

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot the actual question.
Is this normal. Do I deal with it or switch out the rings?

OP
G

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
The scope slide forward.
You can’t move it by hand. It feels tight. I cleaned/degreased all the surfaces before mounting.

bsnedeker

WKR
If this was normal no one would ever shoot a magnum.

Have you checked torque on everything? If everything is torqued down correctly there is a problem with the rings I would assume.

OP
G

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I checked everything. Maybe I will try a different torque wrench?
I thought the same thing about shooting a magnum and the movement.

wapitibob

WKR
Did you check ring alignment ?

packer58

WKR
Sounds like you possibly do not have enough contact surface between scope tube and rings, if you have access to a lapping bar make a few passes and you'll quickly see your percentage of contact.
I usually shoot for 75% or better contact.

OP
G

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I did not lap the rings. I don’t have anything for that. It sounds like it can be fixed so maybe I will try getting a scope lapping kit first.

wapitibob

WKR
Lapping is only for very minor alignment issues, you'll blow the rings out if you go much past the coating. One piece base/ring combos suck for maintaining alignment between front/back ring cylinders. A rail makes it easier.

The easy answer - have the scope refit by a gunsmith.
Most likely you missed something small in the delicate procedure.

I’ll take a wild guess. Did you alternate side to side, front to back, maintaining equal space during the torquing? What does the gap look like now?

Antares

WKR
The easy answer - have the scope refit by a gunsmith.
Most likely you missed something small in the delicate procedure.

In my opinion, this is like asking a mechanic to adjust the seat and mirrors in your truck.

Mounting a scope is easy to do yourself, you should know how to do it yourself, and it's very specific to the individual shooter.

It's not rocket science. There's a ton of good videos out there if you're looking for guidance.

In my opinion, this is like asking a mechanic to adjust the seat and mirrors in your truck.

Mounting a scope is easy to do yourself, you should know how to do it yourself, and it's very specific to the individual shooter.

It's not rocket science. There's a ton of good videos out there if you're looking for guidance.
Obviously he missed something, and he's not giving us much to go on.
A proper scope install is a bit more technical than a seat and mirrors, at least in my driveway and gun safe. Don't believe me, have your wife mount your scope. Then let's talk.