Scope Suggestions: Slug Gun

Jsuss

FNG
Hi - I just bought (today) a Savage 220 Bolt-Action Slug Rifled Shotgun and some Remi 20 gauge Accutip Sabot Slugs for the upcoming deer season in New York. Does anybody have scope recommendations (likely shooting 50 to 100 yards max). I was considering a Nikon Prostaff P3, but open to any and all suggestions.

rclouse79

WKR
I put a swfa ss 6x mil rad on mine. I was able to be on target out to 200 using the Hornady ballistic app. That slug drops like crazy. It is about a click for every 5 yards past 100.

I put a prostaff 5 2.5-10 on my muzzle loader. Really like being able to turn it to 2.5

N2TRKYS

WKR
I haven’t done it yet, but I’m gonna put a Vortex Venom on mine. 100 yds is my max, as well. I don’t know how it’s gonna work, but think it should be great.

IMO I think it is easy to over spend and over scope a slug gun.

i have Nikon 3x9 shotgun scope on mine. It is plenty of scope out to 200 yards, which is about 2x as far as I care to shoot that gun. 3x works fine in tight and allows for very precise shots at typical NY/Pa deer hunting distances Without being too much magnification.

OP
Jsuss

Jsuss

FNG
IMO I think it is easy to over spend and over scope a slug gun.

i have Nikon 3x9 shotgun scope on mine. It is plenty of scope out to 200 yards, which is about 2x as far as I care to shoot that gun. 3x works fine in tight and allows for very precise shots at typical NY/Pa deer hunting distances Without being too much magnification.
thanks, i was hoping to find the Nixon but it was sold out everywhere. I ended up going with a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40. Price was right and comes w/ a lifetime warranty which i liked. Will see how it dos.

Cheaha

FNG
I bought a Cabela's slug gun scope to put on my slug gun. I don't recall what I paid but it was >$100. I was sceptical about it but so far it has held up and stays on zero. Optical and finish quality was better than I expected. I am in Alabama where you can pretty much use any weapon in most places, so I did not want to sink a ton of money into a gun I will use only a few times a year. Works for me.

I have put (3) 3x9 scopes on three different slug guns.
My favorite was a Leupold Ultimate Slam with the red dot. The illuminated dot was critical for low light and night shooting as the Savage 220 it was on was murder for coyote and pig depradation.

The Leupold Ultimate Slam was supposedly a specific slug/muzzle loader scope. The reticle pattern never worked with any ammo I fired through the 220. I was able to make it work though. With rifled slug guns and modern sabot ammo, 200 yard shots are very easy and consistently accurate.

Orbis

FNG
Just got a Leupold 3-9x40 w/ ultimateslam reticle for my rifled barrel to use w/ sabot, will be sighting it in soon - fingers crossed!

Fordguy

WKR
I used one of the original nikon prostaff
2-7x 32 scopes on a 20 ga slug gun for over a decade (used as a bench gun for practice weekly as well as hunting during deer season) until it wouldn't hold zero. That's an awful lot of heavy recoil shooting.
On the cheap side, i have a 29 dollar bushnell 4×32 fixed power scope on a 12 gauge slug gun that has held point of aim perfectly for 20 years. It's probably fired 3 or 4 times a year though.

I had a Nikon Slughunter on a remington 870 with rifled barrel. Killed several deer with it and then upgraded to a browning a-bolt 12ga. Put a Leupold Ultimate Slam on it and prefer it over the Nikon.