Scope suggestions?

Looking for some advice that people hunt mule deer and elk . I have a 7 Remington mag and a 300 win mag both looking for new scopes. I have a vortex PST first focal plane with adjustable turrets the found that kind of heavy and was trying to reduce weight. Trying to keep within $1,000 or so what do you guys recommend? Probably the longest range I'm comfortable shooting is 4 to 500 yards. Was thinking possible custom turret or BDC what are you guys running what do you like? What's good that comes to mind as a Swarovski z5 but not sure yet.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of passion regarding scopes right now...

I use the Z3 with BRH on my hunting rifle and have had no problems. The reticle should easily get you out to 4-500. Crank it up to max power and bang away.

If I'm dialing - SWFA, NF or Bushnell. The weight is the compromise...

Sled

WKR
when i downsized from a pst i went to a 1" tract toric. about 20oz with a modular turret and capped windage. it fit my needs at the time. the other scope you might like is the vortex lht in the classifieds.

Leupold VX3i. In my opinion, you don't need that much scope to shoot 400 yards. I'll even rock a duplex reticle, figure out the subtensions (MOA or mil) on the reticle at different powers, and then use that for holdovers at "canned" distances.

If you want to dial... probably a different ballgame

Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 is a great scope, slightly above your budget but worth it IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Zeiss V4 at red hawk as said before I have 4 of them

mthayr

WKR
Did you answer @Rifles And More question about dialing? I would not depend on the erector assembly in the VX-#HD line of scopes for great consistency. Would look at the MK# line in Leupold or Nightforce for that. Look for "Open-Box" or classifieds deals to keep it around $1000.

Reactions: BCD

BCD

WKR
Leupold VX3i. In my opinion, you don't need that much scope to shoot 400 yards. I'll even rock a duplex reticle, figure out the subtensions (MOA or mil) on the reticle at different powers, and then use that for holdovers at "canned" distances.

If you want to dial... probably a different ballgame
What do you mean by figure out the subtensions on a duplex reticle? Are you basically saying if you know you will shoot 12 inches high at 400 Y that you guestimate holding 12 inches high or are you doing something else?

Thank You!

The subtension is just either the width of what the reticle covers up, or the distance between the different elements on a reticle at a given power. It basically the distance between the fat part of the duplex reticle and the crosshairs.

So for instance, on my 4.5-14 Leupold... At 14x the post on the reticle is 2.7 MOA from the crosshair. At 4.5x, the difference is 8.1 MOA. So with some annoying, but not overly difficult math, you can figure out what the difference is at each power. For my setup it basically amounts to 3 (2.7) MOA at 14x, 4 MOA at 12x, and 5 MOA at 10x. This lines up nicely with 350, 400, and 450 yards, respectively on my rifle, which is all the farther I should be shooting. I just use the post as the reticle for canned holdovers.

A ballistic holdover reticle just adds hashes at specific MOA values and at a specific power. Less math for the user, but the exact same math for someone.

This probably explains it much better.

Reactions: BCD

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for some advice that people hunt mule deer and elk . I have a 7 Remington mag and a 300 win mag both looking for new scopes. I have a vortex PST first focal plane with adjustable turrets the found that kind of heavy and was trying to reduce weight. Trying to keep within $1,000 or so what do you guys recommend? Probably the longest range I'm comfortable shooting is 4 to 500 yards. Was thinking possible custom turret or BDC what are you guys running what do you like? What's good that comes to mind as a Swarovski z5 but not sure yet.
If you're looking for another FFP optic, the Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP is designed specifically as a lightweight hunting optic. It will also be a step up optically compared to your Viper PST while only weighing in at 21.7 oz. These will sell in stores for $1,499.99. https://vortexoptics.com/razor-hd-lht-45-22x50-ffp.html

OP
C
Did you answer @Rifles And More question about dialing? I would not depend on the erector assembly in the VX-#HD line of scopes for great consistency. Would look at the MK# line in Leupold or Nightforce for that. Look for "Open-Box" or classifieds deals to keep it around $1000.
No sorry didn't see the question. I definitely like the idea of the turrets for custom dialing either on the swaro or lupold or any other Scopes I did not think of.

If you're looking for another FFP optic, the Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP is designed specifically as a lightweight hunting optic. It will also be a step up optically compared to your Viper PST while only weighing in at 21.7 oz. These will sell in stores for $1,499.99. https://vortexoptics.com/razor-hd-lht-45-22x50-ffp.html
How does a 22 oz scope with a 50mm objective become "lightweight"? That thing is enormous

Skee7533

FNG
I run a Leupold VX3i CDS 3.5-10x40 on my Browning Hells Canyon Speed .270 win - total weight is 7 pounds 3 ounces.

Sled

WKR
How does a 22 oz scope with a 50mm objective become "lightweight"? That thing is enormous

weight is all relative. if you add all the features the OP wants, this is light weight. if he wants a 13oz scope with a bdc that can't track and may or may not hold zero...there are plenty of options.

Ditto, how in the world is 22 ounces light weight? He's shooting 400 or 500 yards with a 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag.. VX3HD 3.5-10 CDS ZL. So what if it has dials or zero lock. Weighed my new one the other day, 13 oz. Either of those rifles can be sighted for maximum point blank range and get your job done. Example... 3" high at 100 yds, 8.5" low at 400 yds and 22" low at 500 yds for the 300 Win with a 168 gr Accubond LR at 3200 fps. Easy to deal with 8.5" of holdover from desired point of impact no matter what animal, and an elk is 24-27" back to brisket for a good average. 12" above the animal and drop the bullet right into the vitals. Quicker than dials, IMO, and still works.