Scope tracking issue?

hwy1strat

WKR
So, I have a Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x56. I bought it used and so I have been trying to put it through all the tests. It consistently doesn't track level. I have checked the scope level by every possible method (plum bob, flashlight, scope mounting levels, etc.) and the reticle and anticipant device are perfectly aligned. The scope tracks the correct measurements but it slopes down as I dial right on the windage knob. It also slopes left as I dial up on the elevation. I don't have a lot of experience with scope tracking issues, so is it possible that this is a tracking issue? Could this an issue with my rings? Should I try to remount my scope? I don't know what to do. It has done this on a tall target test and two box tests. I hope I explained the issue well enough.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Best warranty in the business.... The reason is, it gets used so often. They have absolutely perfected the art of repairing their stuff and getting it back to the owner in a timely manner. Send it back and have them go thru the scope.

Wapiti1

WKR
It sounds like the reticle isn't square to the turrets. That is an internal problem, and you should send it in.

The only other way, that I know, to get what you describe is if the scope isn't in line with the rifle bore. If you have checked that, you know the problem is the scope.

Jeremy

HUNTER100

Lil-Rokslider
What do you have your rings torqued at? Most ring manufacturers recommend around 20 inch/lbs, which ain't alot. If the rings are too tight, it can bind the scope tube/internal adjustments.

You may have already done this, just thought I'd throw it out there.

OP
hwy1strat

hwy1strat

WKR
I torqued everything down to 25in/lbs which is what the Iota rings said to do. I even went back and checked them all.

I called Vortex and they said to send it in. So, I dropped it off today and I'll see what they say. I have never heard of a this type of tracking problem before

Jardo

WKR
What mounts are you using? If using a 10, 20, or 30 MOA rail, you should bed it.

Google Jeff Broz rail bedding video. Broz may be along to chime in. He’s active on this forum but hangs out mostly at Long Range Only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
When I first started out, I was running a pst and experienced similar issues. I had the rings screwed down to 20 in/lbs... long story short, CS told me not to exceed 15 in/lbs and that 12 is probably ideal. I would think the Razor would be a stout, idk.... anyways, that was enough to convince me to sell a kidney and buy a NF.

HUNTER100

Lil-Rokslider
When I first started out, I was running a pst and experienced similar issues. I had the rings screwed down to 20 in/lbs... long story short, CS told me not to exceed 15 in/lbs and that 12 is probably ideal. I would think the Razor would be a stout, idk.... anyways, that was enough to convince me to sell a kidney and buy a NF.

Hahaha. That's funny

OP
hwy1strat

hwy1strat

WKR
I got my scope back from Vortex and they said nothing was wrong with it. I have a Spuhr mount coming for it and I will try it with that instead of the rings. I've almost always used one piece rings in the past and never had problems like this. Maybe those Iota rings are no good.

tdhanses

WKR
I torqued everything down to 25in/lbs which is what the Iota rings said to do. I even went back and checked them all.

I called Vortex and they said to send it in. So, I dropped it off today and I'll see what they say. I have never heard of a this type of tracking problem before

I never go over 18in/lbs and feel even 15in/lbs is safe.

Bsnyder

WKR
This will be interesting to see, due to everyone raving about vortex customer service, i personally have never had it after owning three of their products and two of the three breaking, i haven't bought their stuff sense but im curious as to see what happens, i hope your mounts fix it.

OP
hwy1strat

hwy1strat

WKR
Their customer service was extremely nice and got it back to me in 3 days. I thought the rings I had them in were really nice. They were the new Iota rings, and they seemed to be a very high quality with lots of pretty cool features. My scope base has a very slight bend in it which has me concerned and it could be that. I bedded it and torqued it down, but it is curved in a way that I can't get the bend out. The previous scope I had mounted, a Gen 1 Razor, had no tracking issues at all and that was in a Near 1 piece mount. It makes sense to me that the one piece mount would be unaffected by the slight bend in the scope base. I hope the mount fixes it because I hate chasing problems. Especially now that the PRS season has started where I live. If this doesn't fix it, I'll try replacing the scope base and go from there