Scope upgrade opinions: NF SHV to NX8 or ATACR, or Vortex Razor...S&B?

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys - looking to upgrade the glass on my .300wm. I'm currently using a NightForce SHV 4-14x50 F1. I purchased it through Doug at CameraLandNY based on the research and recommendations here. With my current scope - glass quality and turret tracking has been phenomenal. I have two main gripes with it tho - which is why I'm looking to "upgrade".

1.) The eye-box/eye relief is not as generous as I'd prefer. 3.1" eye relief has proven to be a little small and a little annoying to my neck.
2.) I'd like more magnification. Initially, I thought 14 would be enough - but I'm constantly hunting for a little more magnification.

Use: hunting anything from white tail to elk and big horn. Might use it to plink steel every now and then. Ranges from 100yds to~ 600yds.
I know the caliber will go further, but I'm not confident in my ability beyond that distance yet.

Important features in a scope for me are:
- Quality glass, good warranty, proven brand/product
- Reliable and repeatable external turret adjustment and tracking w/zero stop
- Durability
- FFP reticle
- Max magnification in the 24+ range
- 50mm or 56mm objective
- Generous eye box/eye relief

I'm struggling to choose between the below 5 considerations. My initial thought was to just stick w/ the NightForce 50mm and jump up to the NX8 for ~$850 premium over my current SHV. The eye box/eye relief on the NX8 is still a bit of a concern here for me though. The Vortex stuff...I love the price on those - but the durability and turret tracking don't seem to be quite as good as the NF stuff (from what I've read). Then I'm also wondering if it's worth it to step up to a 56mm objective (and the extra weight that comes with that) and/or spend A LOT more money on the ATACR or SB.

Current 50mm considerations:
- NightForce NX8 4-32x50 F1 ($2150)
- Vortex Razor HD AMG 6-24x50 ($2500)

Current 56mm considerations:
- Vortex Razor HD Gen2 4.5-27x56 ($2000)
- NightForce ATACR 5-25x56 F1 ($3100)
- S&B PM II 5-25x56 ($3200)

So...price range: I'd prefer to stay in the $2500 or under range - and obviously the cheaper ones in my list above appeal to my wallet, but I don't want to cheap out on glass and regret it. If needed, I could step up to a maximum of $3200...the buy once cry once....it'd be a good long hard ugly cry at $3k+

Any opinions on the above lineup? Any others contenders I missed and should consider (Something from Zeiss, Swarovski, etc.)?
Thanks for any and all help!

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I am in a similar situation. I started trying to decide between Vortex Razor HD AMG and Nightforce NX8 for a long range hunting rifle. After my research, I have eliminated the NX8. I am now looking at the following:
  • Nightforce NXS 5-22x50 F2, $1,800, 30 oz
  • Zeiss V6 3-18 F2, $1,800, 22 oz
  • Vortex Razor HD AMG 6-24x50 F1, $2,700, 28.6 oz
FWIW - I talked to the guys at RBros, and they seem to be strongly against Vortex.

I am in a similar situation. I started trying to decide between Vortex Razor HD AMG and Nightforce NX8 for a long range hunting rifle. After my research, I have eliminated the NX8. I am now looking at the following:
  • Nightforce NXS 5-22x50 F2, $1,800, 30 oz
  • Zeiss V6 3-18 F2, $1,800, 22 oz
  • Vortex Razor HD AMG 6-24x50 F1, $2,700, 28.6 oz
FWIW - I talked to the guys at RBros, and they seem to be strongly against Vortex.
I think the Amg is a good scope.
But if your going to spend that much money there is lots of good scopes.

Why did you decide against the Nx8?

skierhs

WKR
I have a atacr 7-35 F1 and the same shv scope currently. everything is better on the atacr but the eye box isn’t a game changer by any means.

i also have used vortex and from what I’ve seen I wouldn’t use it for my hunting rig. They make a good product but build quality isn’t where I want for a hunting scope. I took a nasty fall while packing out my elk this year where my rifle took a good deal of impact. Having the atacr it never lost zero but vortex would have definitely lost zero. The only way I know this is due to seeing how tough, or lack there of, the vortex scopes can be.

it sucks to carry a heavy optic but you get what you pay for. The warranty doesn’t do much while being in the field.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I think the Amg is a good scope.
But if your going to spend that much money there is lots of good scopes.

Why did you decide against the Nx8?
For the F1 version, the reticle seems like it will be unusable at the lower magnification range which are needed during low light hunting conditions or if hunting in close quarters.

skierhs

WKR
For the F1 version, the reticle seems like it will be unusable at the lower magnification range which are needed during low light hunting conditions or if hunting in close quarters.
It can be but the lighted reticle makes a huge difference. The biggest issue would be super close quarters.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In our opinion, the NX8 is probably the best all-purpose hunting optic from the options you are looking at. The glass is great, you shouldn't have to worry about tracking issues, its lightweight, and the 8x zoom range is very nice to have on a hunting rifle. If you are willing to step up to the $3000 range you should take a look at the Kahles 525i. In our opinion, it is the best medium-long range hunting scope on the market.

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
If price wasn't an issue i would look at the Kahles and Schmidt and Bender's. I have set behind a Kahles and played with them and that will be my next scope. My favorite scope is a S&B PMII 10x. I wish more people made a fixed 10 power. They get overlooked but you will find that they are more clear than most, if not all variable power scopes.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys - looking to upgrade the glass on my .300wm. I'm currently using a NightForce SHV 4-14x50 F1. I purchased it through Doug at CameraLandNY based on the research and recommendations here. With my current scope - glass quality and turret tracking has been phenomenal. I have two main gripes with it tho - which is why I'm looking to "upgrade".

1.) The eye-box/eye relief is not as generous as I'd prefer. 3.1" eye relief has proven to be a little small and a little annoying to my neck.
2.) I'd like more magnification. Initially, I thought 14 would be enough - but I'm constantly hunting for a little more magnification.

Use: hunting anything from white tail to elk and big horn. Might use it to plink steel every now and then. Ranges from 100yds to~ 600yds.
I know the caliber will go further, but I'm not confident in my ability beyond that distance yet.

Important features in a scope for me are:
- Quality glass, good warranty, proven brand/product
- Reliable and repeatable external turret adjustment and tracking w/zero stop
- Durability
- FFP reticle
- Max magnification in the 24+ range
- 50mm or 56mm objective
- Generous eye box/eye relief

I'm struggling to choose between the below 5 considerations. My initial thought was to just stick w/ the NightForce 50mm and jump up to the NX8 for ~$850 premium over my current SHV. The eye box/eye relief on the NX8 is still a bit of a concern here for me though. The Vortex stuff...I love the price on those - but the durability and turret tracking don't seem to be quite as good as the NF stuff (from what I've read). Then I'm also wondering if it's worth it to step up to a 56mm objective (and the extra weight that comes with that) and/or spend A LOT more money on the ATACR or SB.

Current 50mm considerations:
- NightForce NX8 4-32x50 F1 ($2150)
- Vortex Razor HD AMG 6-24x50 ($2500)

Current 56mm considerations:
- Vortex Razor HD Gen2 4.5-27x56 ($2000)
- NightForce ATACR 5-25x56 F1 ($3100)
- S&B PM II 5-25x56 ($3200)

So...price range: I'd prefer to stay in the $2500 or under range - and obviously the cheaper ones in my list above appeal to my wallet, but I don't want to cheap out on glass and regret it. If needed, I could step up to a maximum of $3200...the buy once cry once....it'd be a good long hard ugly cry at $3k+

Any opinions on the above lineup? Any others contenders I missed and should consider (Something from Zeiss, Swarovski, etc.)?
Thanks for any and all help!
If you have any questions on our optics, don't hesitate to reach out!

hunterjmj

WKR
I picked up the NF nx8 2.5-20 this tear and I'm super happy with it so far. It seems to have a small eye box but I've shot 200 +/- rounds now and it's a non-issue to me. I love the capped windage and power throw knob. I shot a doe at 100 yards at 2.5 power, a buck at 230 yards at 8 power and an antelope at 340 yards in the 10 range. So far I love this scope.

OP
G

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up the NF nx8 2.5-20 this tear and I'm super happy with it so far. It seems to have a small eye box but I've shot 200 +/- rounds now and it's a non-issue to me. I love the capped windage and power throw knob. I shot a doe at 100 yards at 2.5 power, a buck at 230 yards at 8 power and an antelope at 340 yards in the 10 range. So far I love this scope.

@hunterjmj - thanks for the feedback. Did you get the F1 or F2 NX8? (First or Second focal plane reticle)

------

Greatly appreciate all the input so far.

I'm kinda split between the NX8 and AMG right now. The AMG glass, eye box, and locking turrets are appealing, while the NX8's durability and reliability are super appealing. This will be going on a hunting rifle that will see a lot of field duty - so the AMG's durability is a slight concern. I know Vortex offers a great warranty...but I kinda don't want to have to use a warranty in the first place. The eye box/eye relief on the NX8 is my only real concern for that optic (my SHV has shown me that I want a forgiving eye box haha). I also like how the NX8 is offered in a SFP....the more I read and think about it, an 8x optic on FFP might be difficult to see in the woods on lower power (if/when needed). The reticle is difficult enough to see on my SHV 4-14 in the woods on low power.

Kinda wish I could combine the best of both of those scopes at a $2k price point.

I was thinking about selling my long range competition rifle that was topped by the S&B PMII 5-25x56. I brought it out and made a big mistake: I looked through the glass. Sigh.....

The rifle is going back into the safe for now. I will get into some more competitions next year just to keep up on my rifle skills.

However, to get off memory lane and answer the OP's questions, I mirror Doug's thoughts. The NightForce scopes are really great for hunting. I would never want to lug around my S&B for those kinds of hunts with lots of backcountry miles.

hunterjmj

WKR
@hunterjmj - thanks for the feedback. Did you get the F1 or F2 NX8? (First or Second focal plane reticle)

------

Greatly appreciate all the input so far.

I'm kinda split between the NX8 and AMG right now. The AMG glass, eye box, and locking turrets are appealing, while the NX8's durability and reliability are super appealing. This will be going on a hunting rifle that will see a lot of field duty - so the AMG's durability is a slight concern. I know Vortex offers a great warranty...but I kinda don't want to have to use a warranty in the first place. The eye box/eye relief on the NX8 is my only real concern for that optic (my SHV has shown me that I want a forgiving eye box haha). I also like how the NX8 is offered in a SFP....the more I read and think about it, an 8x optic on FFP might be difficult to see in the woods on lower power (if/when needed). The reticle is difficult enough to see on my SHV 4-14 in the woods on low power.

Kinda wish I could combine the best of both of those scopes at a $2k price point.

I got the F1. After I bought it I wasn't sure I would like it but I don't think I'd go back to F2. I don't even notice the tight eye box after shooting it so much. Possibly a muscle memory thing. At first it was a bit to get use to. I really worked on getting the diopter correct for my eye so I think that helped. I can pull my rifle up, get on target with a full view just like my old Leupold 3-9.
I've been shooting out to 600 and and it always comes back to zero at 100. I don't get to into the target tests but returning zero is top on my list. Hope this helps. Hope you find the scope that is just right for you.

OP
G

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I made a decision this morning. Called Doug at CameraLand and decided to pull the trigger on an ATACR 5-25x56 F1 (MIL-C). The ATACR was obviously more spendy than the NX8 or AMG, but I think it'll be worth it (Not to mention, Doug gives a nice discount for members).

For my application, I believe the ATACR is less of a compromise vs. the NX8 or AMG. As silly as it might sound, I've literally been losing sleep over this - and I now feel good about the choice (praying my wife will feel good about it too lol).

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I made a decision this morning. Called Doug at CameraLand and decided to pull the trigger on an ATACR 5-25x56 F1 (MIL-C). The ATACR was obviously more spendy than the NX8 or AMG, but I think it'll be worth it (Not to mention, Doug gives a nice discount for members).

For my application, I believe the ATACR is less of a compromise vs. the NX8 or AMG. As silly as it might sound, I've literally been losing sleep over this - and I now feel good about the choice (praying my wife will feel good about it too lol).
I feel your pain. I have been planning a custom rifle build and have gone through several options for scopes. When I feel I have made up my mind, I think of some other feature to consider...

OP
G

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
s&b exos 3-21x50 should be on that list, no love for swaro x5 either?
I think that SB Exos is a little out of my budget range. How is the Swaro x5 for durability and tracking reliability?

eoperator

WKR
I think that SB Exos is a little out of my budget range. How is the Swaro x5 for durability and tracking reliability?
I've been down the same road, ended up going with the exos over the atacr very happy so far. eurooptic has a exos demo for $2550 it is 8oz less than a 56mm atacr. I bought an x5i to put on my next rifle when it is completed so no real experience other than fondling it.

OP
G

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
I've been down the same road, ended up going with the exos over the atacr very happy so far. eurooptic has a exos demo for $2550 it is 8oz less than a 56mm atacr. I bought an x5i to put on my next rifle when it is completed so no real experience other than fondling it.

That is a super cheap price on the Exos. Looked like they retailed for ~$3500 or so :|