Scope With Simple BDC MRAD Reticle?

BCD

WKR
WIth all of the information about scopes failing (especially when dialing ballistic turrets) I'm thinking it might be best to quit dialing and just use a BDC style scope. Does anyone make a simple scope with a MIL reticle for windage and elevation (and capped turrets) that one might recommend?

Wrench

WKR
I prefer mildot on a hunting scope. I rarely need sub .01 mrad accuracy and the lack of clutter and defined outer posts work well in the brush.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I prefer mildot on a hunting scope. I rarely need sub .01 mrad accuracy and the lack of clutter and defined outer posts work well in the brush.
Are there any specific models you could suggest? Thank You!

Wrench

WKR
That's the other beauty of mildot...mildot is uniform across manufacturers.....and the mildot master calculator works well with it.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
That's the other beauty of mildot...mildot is uniform across manufacturers.....and the mildot master calculator works well with it.
Are there any specific Mildot scopes you would recommend looking at?

Thank You!

Wapiti1

WKR
First or second focal plane? Magnification range you would like? Price range?

Off the top of my head, Trijicon, Sightron, SWFA, and Schmidt and Bender all have simple mil-dot or modified mil-dot reticles that aren't christmas trees. Some FFP some SFP. However, if you need to hold for wind and elevation, the christmas tree becomes helpful. Not necessary, but it's nice to have a defined aiming point.

A Schmidt and Bender Klassik 3-12 or 4-16 with P3 reticle is a pretty solid option. These are FFP scopes and can be either capped or exposed turret. Another is Nightforce SHV 4-14 FFP Mil-R. Not capped turret, but no one says you have to turn the knob.

Jeremy

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider

EDIT: Sorry, missed the part about not wanting BDC

Macintosh

WKR
I just got a 3-12x S&B scope with the p3 reticle with the exact same thought--if I cant find a dial-able scope I want with a rep for reliability, eliminate the dialing. It's basically a fine duplex reticle at low power and quite useable for hunting for folks like me who prefer an extremely uncluttered field of view, but since it's FFP you don't even see the hashmarks in the center of the reticle until you zoom in. I figure the hashmarks are visible-enough to be useable from about 7-8x up to 12x. Before using this reticle I would have steered away from ffp based on my experience with other ffp reticles, but I changed my mind.

My question--which I think is on topic--is with a 1-mil dot system in the reticle and relying on this for holdovers, how precise is realistic, and is that sufficient? I haven't had a chance to put mine through its paces and my other scopes that I use holdovers for PRS have 1/2 or 1/4 mill hashmarks (so not sure I can compare 1:1)--so I really dont know for myself. I anticipate I'll be able to consistently hold within .25 mil when holding between hashmarks in the field, so basically 1" at 100 yds, and since I dont plan to ever shoot a critter with it past 400 yards best-case I could realistically keep a shot on game within an ethical group-size, but we'll see. If I was planning to shoot game at longer ranges I think I would have wanted either a finer set of hashmarks in the reticle or an elevation turret designed to dial. Curious what other folks who have used these reticles more think about that.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
New to this but unless you set a SFP optic to the required magnification wouldn't a BDC style reticle be useless since it would not be accurate?

I too am in the hunt for an optic that doesn't have a busy reticle and can be used for holdovers if I can dial the turret. It seems like I'm more in the market for a FFP scope but most of the recommended quality optics are SFP.

Not trying to start a FFP vs. SFP debate.

Shraggs

WKR
Regarding trijicon; the accupoints is a moa Dail and mil reticle, with minimal ability to really hold for wind, and a lot of calculations for elevation.

The other series have nice bdc, but set for either 223 or 308. It is possible to change power settings to match slower cartridges but not the other way. Don’t recall but no or one hash fir wind.

From a bdc perspective only, I like ZEISS retickes and corresponding app to match any cartridges

ND2506AI

FNG
My eyes are not that good, I like the Leupold B and C reticle it’s simple and to the point.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Regarding trijicon; the accupoints is a moa Dail and mil reticle, with minimal ability to really hold for wind, and a lot of calculations for elevation.

The other series have nice bdc, but set for either 223 or 308. It is possible to change power settings to match slower cartridges but not the other way. Don’t recall but no or one hash fir wind.

From a bdc perspective only, I like ZEISS retickes and corresponding app to match any cartridges
What reticle are you using from Ziess? I'm trying to decide which one to go with and having hard time since they are all SFP so the tick marks wont match up unless I'm fully dialed in.

Shraggs

WKR
I’ve owned for BDC radicals with the rapid z both in 600 and the Z800 I do not own any at this time.

I would just think in terms of what your cartridges anything was a trajectory similar or near a 3006 go with the 600, any of the fast magnums to 270 etc. go with the 800